Compost quality in the GTA

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2020 11:40 am
[OP]
Jun 11, 2019
79 posts
9 upvotes

Compost quality in the GTA

On Environment Day, is the compost of good quality? Want to cover my grass lawn with it to make a food forest.

Is there plastic bits that you have to sieve out, or big pieces that you have to sieve out yourself?
5 replies
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2553 posts
1976 upvotes
Clarington
leafsnation98765 wrote: On Environment Day, is the compost of good quality? Want to cover my grass lawn with it to make a food forest.

Is there plastic bits that you have to sieve out, or big pieces that you have to sieve out yourself?
Never got any myself but a friend got some in Bowmanville and he said it had tons of plastic in it. I just use sheep manure for my garden.
[OP]
Jun 11, 2019
79 posts
9 upvotes
Bawler wrote: Never got any myself but a friend got some in Bowmanville and he said it had tons of plastic in it. I just use sheep manure for my garden.
That's awful, must be from all the people who don't care what goes in their compost.
Might have to use a sieve to get rid of the plastic.

Can anyone else comment on GTA compost? Or if there are services that deliver large masses of organic compost to your door?
Mar 22, 2020
35 posts
24 upvotes
Blue Mountains, Onta…
Not just GTA compost but pretty much any community run compost pile has some plastic bits in it. They run it through a huge mechanical sifter machine but still, the plastic bits can be smaller than the mulched up soil so it's really hard to get rid of it entirely.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13100 posts
2185 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I can't comment on the GTA compost quality as I live in BC. But, I have noticed that when there has been roadwork done here, and the contractor puts in reseeded boulevard areas, there are horsetails & other bad weeds growing where there were none previously.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Mar 6, 2015
473 posts
181 upvotes
Alert, Nunavut
You can still pick up compost from the city?