Compost quality in the GTA

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2021 1:15 pm
[OP]
Jun 11, 2019
171 posts
23 upvotes

Compost quality in the GTA

On Environment Day, is the compost of good quality? Want to cover my grass lawn with it to make a food forest.

Is there plastic bits that you have to sieve out, or big pieces that you have to sieve out yourself?
6 replies
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
2582 posts
2045 upvotes
Clarington
leafsnation98765 wrote: On Environment Day, is the compost of good quality? Want to cover my grass lawn with it to make a food forest.

Is there plastic bits that you have to sieve out, or big pieces that you have to sieve out yourself?
Never got any myself but a friend got some in Bowmanville and he said it had tons of plastic in it. I just use sheep manure for my garden.
[OP]
Jun 11, 2019
171 posts
23 upvotes
Bawler wrote: Never got any myself but a friend got some in Bowmanville and he said it had tons of plastic in it. I just use sheep manure for my garden.
That's awful, must be from all the people who don't care what goes in their compost.
Might have to use a sieve to get rid of the plastic.

Can anyone else comment on GTA compost? Or if there are services that deliver large masses of organic compost to your door?
Mar 22, 2020
43 posts
45 upvotes
Blue Mountains, Onta…
Not just GTA compost but pretty much any community run compost pile has some plastic bits in it. They run it through a huge mechanical sifter machine but still, the plastic bits can be smaller than the mulched up soil so it's really hard to get rid of it entirely.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13796 posts
2482 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I can't comment on the GTA compost quality as I live in BC. But, I have noticed that when there has been roadwork done here, and the contractor puts in reseeded boulevard areas, there are horsetails & other bad weeds growing where there were none previously.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1186 posts
720 upvotes
Robidas Island
You can still pick up compost from the city?
Jun 14, 2019
1 posts
Woodbridge, ON
Do yourself a favour and get City Loggers Black Earth Garden Soil

$3 / 18.07 kg bag

Made in Ontario by Canadians for Canadians from our farm in Mount Albert.

A 5-in-1 ingredient mix of moss, loam, topsoil, charcoal, and sawdust. An all-in-one fertilizer for your lawn & garden.

At your local Fortinos
Images
  • Black Earth Garden Soil Summer 2021.png
  • $_59 (3).jpg