Computers & Electronics

Computer for CoWorker Recomendations (Lenovo P330)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2020 7:00 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 13, 2008
64 posts
269 upvotes
Lonon

Computer for CoWorker Recomendations (Lenovo P330)

My coworker was looking for a general purpose computer and for work from home. Budget of $1500 with monitor. Lower the better. He's upgrading from a 10+ year old computer. Will buy monitor separate.

I want to recommend a reliable retail unit, or a pre-built from a local reputable build shop. I could build it my self, but I don't want to be called in 2 years if something goes wrong. Been there, done that. I've lost count how many times my personal builds needed surgery. He is not tech savvy, so a good warranty and support is a must.

At some point in the future he wants to do some general CAD (AutoCAD + SolidWorks). For this I would recommend he adds in a Quadro P620 ($250 retail) later. According to benchmarks this should be sufficient for him. Going to a P1000 or P2000 would be +$500, and +$700. For SolidWorks, I wanted to keep to 16GB Ram minimum, with as high of a single core clock speed as possible within the budget. Min 256gb SDD is a must, he has an external drive for personal backup of larger stuff.

I came across the attached deal from Lenovo for a P330. I figured it's a good start as one of the options they offer are configurations with Quadro cards. He agreed, minus the Quadro card and upgrade later if absolutely needed. I also assume ThinkStations are built well and are reliable. Plus this carries a 3 year warranty (+1 year warranty from credit card). The only change I may suggest to this configuration is for $10 get the 400W power supply. He may need a display port + hdmi dongle too.

I looked at building something similar on pcpartpicker, but with a windows key + shipping it's getting very close to this deal.

Lenovo P330

Three options I considered for him, the pro's and con's:
Retail Unit (i.e, staples, best buy):
+ Easiest Option, Easiest Returns
+ Might catch a good sale
- May not be configured exactly without doing a separate upgrade (SSD, RAM) right away
- Sub-par quality
-Only 1 year warranty default

Pre-Built:
+ Better Quality Parts
+ Possible better price, only after a lot of hunting
- Fix-it your self, unless put together by a local shop. And the local shop is still in business after covid.
-Only 1 year warranty default

Lenovo Think Station
+ Pros from Above + 3 Year Warranty
- I'm not familiar with Lenovo to be %100

Thank you. Any comments are appreciated.
3 replies
Jun 9, 2012
468 posts
318 upvotes
Vancouver
Being that he is not tech savvy I think getting a prebuilt system is probably the better option as opposed to building a PC from parts.

When buying a prebuilt make sure you buy a tower and not the small form factor, cause you can't use a full size graphics card. Low profile versions that fit in small form factor systems cost far too much for the performance that they deliver.

If you are going with quadro cards you won't be able to resell them easily since they aren't gaming cards.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5935 posts
6129 upvotes
Toronto
He's being told to work from home, using AutoCAD and SolidWorks, and his budget is $1000 (assuming $500 for a suitable monitor?)

Hell the license transfer to run those tools on that new machine will be more than $1000... (unless things have changed -- I haven't managed SolidWorks licensing since 2017..)
As someone long prepared for the occasion, in full command of every plan you wrecked---
Do not choose a coward's explanation, that hides behind the cause and the effect...
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10360 posts
6830 upvotes
With the ThinkStation, I'm not sure if they still have a BIOS whitelist for the graphics card (they used to...i.e. You can't upgrade to a different retail card unless it's whitelisted by Lenovo).