• Aug 25th, 2021 10:07 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
2851 posts
946 upvotes

Computer crashing

When ever I play Hunt Showdown for extended length of time. My game would crash and take several minutes before it goes back to normal. I checked the event logs and found this: "Windows successfully diagnosed a low virtual memory condition. The following programs consumed the most virtual memory: HuntGame.exe (2488) consumed 13820350464 bytes, NVIDIA Broadcast.exe (8584) consumed 1678733312 bytes, and NVIDIA Virtual Camera.exe (9280) consumed 545423360 bytes."

Anyone know what this means?

I have 16GB of RAMso I shouldn't be running out of memory.
9 replies
Feb 9, 2008
407 posts
329 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Virtual memory is your paging file, which uses your hard drive space.
Is your Windows drive full (usually C: drive)?

The default setting has Windows automatically managing the paging file size.
You can check the current settings by following the steps here: https://mcci.com/support/guides/how-to-change-the-windows-pagefile-size/
If it is set to automatically managed, you can try changing the C: drive custom size to something like initial: 16384 and max 32768

FYI, 13820350464 bytes is 13.8 GB so your RAM is mostly used up by the game.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
19971 posts
5731 upvotes
Scarberia
my win10 pro gets that auto reboot blue screen of death, whenever i have myvegas FB browser going on full screen on one monitor, while another monitor has youtube fullscreen in 4k/2k! its weird! those are power cpu intensive programs?

i have r5 2600 o/c to 4ghz , and radeon 460 vid card..might be overheating?

pretty sure i have the latest video amd catalyst drivers
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2006
2845 posts
290 upvotes
Toronto
16gb is not a lot these days. I routinely run out of memory with 32gb of ram.

I believe zerod is correct with the page file. It seems very odd that page file usage is so high. Windows usually doesn't use so much virtual memory unless physical memory is full. Check task manager for programs with high memory usage.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
2037 posts
1442 upvotes
Vancouver
To diagnose a BSOD, it is best to use the tools provided by Microsoft for analyzing memory dumps. Without the proper diagnosis, it is just guesswork.

Though from the logs it sounds like the system is outta RAM. The taking of a few minutes also sounds like Windows is outta RAM and has to swap back in it's code, once the game frees up memory. You could try doubling the page file size

But a game taking 13+GB of RAM is another cause for concern and does not sound normal. It may be poorly made and have memory leaks.

Also, you might wanna try quitting all unnecessary programs before starting the game. NVIDIA Broadcast.exe is taking 1.6GB and NVIDIA Virtual Camera.exe is using another 520MB
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4903 posts
1942 upvotes
Sounds like nvidia streaming software? Can try to disable or uninstall them and see if that has any effects.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3121 posts
1302 upvotes
Windsor
Did you turn off your page file? This shouldn't happen, the computer should just keep getting slower and slower until it's useless, but not crash. Of course, unless you also REALLY short on harddrive space for your pagefile (typically C) drive. If so, clean that up (DiskCleanup, or WinDirStat <--personal fave).

I have 32GB of RAM on my "work" PC, and I regularly "need" (thanks Autodesk) more than that; computer doesn't much complain.

Since it takes a while to happen, it's probably just be a memory leak (which it sounds like ... 14GB for that game? LOL, get out of here). And that nVidia Broadcast thing seems to be of dubious value as well, so if the game will run without it, you might want to kill the task before starting your game ( Taskkill /f /im “NVIDIA Broadcast.exe” ). So, while you SHOULDN'T be running out of memory (because that game consuming 14GB is diabolical), you actually are (at least, physical memory). If you also have 50 smaller programs using 50MB each, that can pretty quickly devour your remaining memory.

To see if your page file is somehow turned off :
- Search for "systempropertiesadvanced". When you see it, right click, "Run as administrator".
- Advanced tab, press "Settings" in the Performance area
- Advanced tab again, press "Change" in the Virtual Memory area.

That tickbox at the top should be selected. You should only have a pagefile on one drive, so it should look something like the linked image. In my case, it's on my "C" drive, but you can untick that box, then change it to another drive if you want (try and keep it on an SSD). DO NOT TRY TO MANAGE WINDOWS' PAGE FILE YOURSELF. This is old info from like Win'98. Windows XP and on are best to just let Windows figure it out; it will happily allow you to overuse your RAM by a LOT before it makes your computer unusable.
Images
  • Delete Me.png
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
2851 posts
946 upvotes
I have like 46 chrome tabs opened. I guess that doesn't help..... and I have no idea why Hunt uses so much damn Ram lol. Damn I hate cryengine!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6920 posts
4654 upvotes
SW ON
Follow up on what people suggested. Check your page file.

AFAIK virtual memory is physical memory plus page file. So, it looks like your page file is off.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3121 posts
1302 upvotes
Windsor
Phat_cow wrote: I have like 46 chrome tabs opened. I guess that doesn't help..... and I have no idea why Hunt uses so much damn Ram lol. Damn I hate cryengine!
What is mot surprising about that is that, somehow, 46 tabs in Chrome doesn't use more than 1.5GB. Maybe that crash report sees each tab as a unique program. That's a HUGE memory consumer.

If you need to use a browser while playing the game, just close Chrome (so you keep your tabs) and just use Edge or something (same as Chrome, for all intents) with the 1-2 tabs you need at the time.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.