• Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2018 10:42 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1743 posts
158 upvotes

Computer keeps on crashing, suspect it's due to flash

My computer seems to always crash whenever I am either watching youtube videos or I have the website opened in another tab. I suspect it's flash related except I uninstalled flash on my computer and I turned it off in my browser (chrome). At first I thought it was maybe due to my browser so I switched browsers to firefox and made sure flash wasn't installed on it but then my computer also crashed after 2 days of use. Sometimes the crash isn't instant when watching youtube videos but several hours later. I still am not sure if it's caused by youtube or something else but I'm not sure how to check it? There is a lot of content that I consume on youtube so giving up using youtube wouldn't be ideal.
33 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6884 posts
5801 upvotes
Burlington
my bet is on gpu overheated, or if you are using integrated graphic, your cpu heated up
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1743 posts
158 upvotes
soupmaster666 wrote: Try turning off any unnecessary crap that is running in the background. I think you can do it in the Task Manager on these newfangled OSes. On Windows 7, it would be Start > Run > type "msconfig" > OK > "Startup"

Turn off any crap you recognize but don't need. Don't turn off anything you aren't sure about.
I already have all the background programs turned on to a bare minimum. Also I have tried to run a virus scan with housecall but it seems to always crash and I get the blue screen.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20760 posts
8982 upvotes
Toronto
I had issues with 3 computers, two desktops and a laptop crashing (blue screen, watchdog violation) out of the blue late last year. For a few weeks, I was pulling my hair out trying to understand why. The logs say the problem is with ahci driver which has not changed recently. I have many other computers on the same OS and running similar software without issue. After some troubleshooting, I pinpointed the issue to bit defender antivirus. Whenever there was network activity, the antivirus can trigger the blue screen. Printing to my wireless printer guaranteed a blue screen. If I disconnect from the internet, there is no problem. If I disable the antivirus, no problems. I uninstalled the antivirus and only reinstalled it recently. The problem has gone away so far. I know the cause now, but still don't fully understand why. I don't have malware on the three computers.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2261 posts
110 upvotes
will888 wrote: I had issues with 3 computers, two desktops and a laptop crashing (blue screen, watchdog violation) out of the blue late last year. For a few weeks, I was pulling my hair out trying to understand why. The logs say the problem is with ahci driver which has not changed recently. I have many other computers on the same OS and running similar software without issue. After some troubleshooting, I pinpointed the issue to bit defender antivirus. Whenever there was network activity, the antivirus can trigger the blue screen. Printing to my wireless printer guaranteed a blue screen. If I disconnect from the internet, there is no problem. If I disable the antivirus, no problems. I uninstalled the antivirus and only reinstalled it recently. The problem has gone away so far. I know the cause now, but still don't fully understand why. I don't have malware on the three computers.
An 'antivirus' program shouldn't crash a computer. You probably have/had malware or trojan or whatever it was that caused it.... Have you rebooted at all recently? I think some sophisticated programs can be 'dormant' after a supposed 'fix' only to return later from something that cause it to run or start again.

I wouldn't conclude that you don't have anything so quickly. Sometimes, these programs don't catch something and you need a third party app. Although, I don't know if you are using free software or are subscribing to something. Anyway, just my two cents. Maybe, it really is gone but just tossing out another possible scenario.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1743 posts
158 upvotes
konsensei wrote: my bet is on gpu overheated, or if you are using integrated graphic, your cpu heated up
I just cleaned my computer with an air compressor and there isn't too much heat when I touch my laptop yet my computer is still crashing. It just crashed when I tried to run panda antivirus with nothing else running. It was almost done the scan too. I don't know if it's my router or if it's something else. I'm contemplating just reimaging my machine right now.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1743 posts
158 upvotes
I ended up reimaging my computer. Hopefully this will solve the issue. I haven't updated my chrome yet because my image has an old version. Hopefully when I update it, I won't experience this issue again.
Jan 19, 2017
426 posts
120 upvotes
teleguitar wrote: An 'antivirus' program shouldn't crash a computer.
it shouldn't but it will sometimes. these programs put their hooks into the operating system's kernel at a very low level to be able to have the first access to the file system, network stack, and memory in order to "monitor" activity to detect malicious programs. this is a very complex operation, and there are many ways it can go wrong (a piece of software always has bugs). and if it goes wrong, it will crash the OS' kernel which results in a BSoD.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2330 posts
338 upvotes
In another world
wolf30 wrote: I ended up reimaging my computer. Hopefully this will solve the issue. I haven't updated my chrome yet because my image has an old version. Hopefully when I update it, I won't experience this issue again.
If that doesn't work, do a fresh OS install.
If that doesn't work, probably a faulty hardware.
Take your hard drive to another computer and work from there for a time to see if the problem replicates.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1743 posts
158 upvotes
The Canterbury Tail wrote: Is it crashing (freezing up, blue screen etc), turning off or rebooting?
It's giving me a blue screen then restarting
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1743 posts
158 upvotes
Update: It looks like the computer restarted overnight after I upgraded my chrome and I left youtube paused in the background. I may try to remove chrome and install an older version of it to test things out because everything was fine yesterday with the older version of chrome even though they kept on pestering me to upgrade the browser.
May 29, 2008
780 posts
307 upvotes
Why are you so set on it being flash? If anything, this seems more like a hardware error to me. Why don't you actually take a look at the blue screen logs and try to find some more information there?
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2005
1535 posts
485 upvotes
Kitchener
willilumplump wrote: Have you run memtest to check for bad RAM?
This. Sounds like some RAM has gone faulty if it is still rebooting after a fresh windows install. Also try safe mode, leave it on over night see if it still works in the morning, if it is a driver conflict that will show you. When you re-imaged it, how old was the image?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1743 posts
158 upvotes
SomeGuyGG wrote: This. Sounds like some RAM has gone faulty if it is still rebooting after a fresh windows install. Also try safe mode, leave it on over night see if it still works in the morning, if it is a driver conflict that will show you. When you re-imaged it, how old was the image?
Actually so far everything has been fine except for my computer restarting last night when I was asleep. I've had youtube open all day and no issues. I'm gonna try that ramtest thingy tomorrow and see what happens. I'll try your suggestion too if I'm still getting these blue screens of death.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1743 posts
158 upvotes
toomuchpie wrote: Why are you so set on it being flash? If anything, this seems more like a hardware error to me. Why don't you actually take a look at the blue screen logs and try to find some more information there?
How do I do that?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1743 posts
158 upvotes
Alright I fired up the reliability monitor and it shows that windows stopped working at 4:59am and says video hardware error. I also downloaded bluescreenview and it automatically loaded up some dump file but I'm not sure what I should be looking at.

Update: I just ran Windows Memory Diagnostic and it said there was no errors. So I guess this rules out ram?
May 29, 2008
780 posts
307 upvotes
wolf30 wrote: Alright I fired up the reliability monitor and it shows that windows stopped working at 4:59am and says video hardware error. I also downloaded bluescreenview and it automatically loaded up some dump file but I'm not sure what I should be looking at.

Update: I just ran Windows Memory Diagnostic and it said there was no errors. So I guess this rules out ram?
No, it doesn't rule out RAM. You should test it with memtest86+ to rule out RAM. You can burn it onto a cd or use a usb flash drive. Beware that it never stops running though, and you just need to end it at an appropriate time - I would say after it does 1 complete pass. However, if there is something wrong with the ram, it USUALLY shows the errors within a minute. If it does (you'll see red), then you can stop the test because either the RAM is faulty, or sometimes the motherboard (RAM socket?)

What did bluescreenview indicate caused the BSOD? If I remember correctly, it highlights it and puts it at the top of the list. Also, you can download WhoCrashed to have it try to diagnose the issue as well. Post your findings here.