• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2019 6:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2720 posts
1287 upvotes

Computer Monitor Not Displaying Screen

My PC Monitor keeps turning off. The power button is basically blinking on/off once I plug in the power cable.

I can get the desktop screen on my TV set, but it won't display on the monitor anymore for some reason.

I tried replacing the power/dvi cable and it didn't work. Probably need a new monitor?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1499 posts
493 upvotes
It could be your PC instead of your Monitor. Sometime ON/OFF switch can cause havoc in turning on your computer. Some people have grounded the front part of metal PC to rule out grounding problem. Other have put ground wire from front of PC to Power Supply since they know its grounded. Press ON/OFF button in for extended period of time, sometimes that works. I think they use copper wire for grounding.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2720 posts
1287 upvotes
The computer powers on fine, just appears to be the monitor having issues. If I turn off the PC and then have it plugged into the TV via HDMI, it comes onto that screen fine.

The monitor is older than I thought, 2008 LCD, but kind of surprised it would stop functioning properly.

I might buy a new one and see if it works, if not, maybe it's the PC, but I am considering buying a laptop in the future so I don't really want another monitor, but I kind of need it for a course I am taking, don't want to type on the TV.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1499 posts
493 upvotes
You can take monitor to friend house and check it out on his computer. Most likely it's defective. If you didn't have a power bar then power surge might have blown the monitor.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2005
1518 posts
163 upvotes
what type of video card do you have in your PC
if you have Nvidia Card it could be the driver
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6906 posts
5808 upvotes
Burlington
without tv, would the monitor work?
if it works, then it is your vid card driver, or ports
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2720 posts
1287 upvotes
amd radeon card, i updated the drivers.

i tried it without tv plugged in as well and monitor still didn't turn on.
i actually went and bought a new power cord and dvi cable and it still didn't work.
then i plugged it into my work laptop at home and it still didn't work, so i am assuming the monitor is finally toast.

it was having some intermittent issues before this, so i am assuming it finally went out for good.