Computers & Electronics

Computer parts manufacturers with RMA depot in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2018 11:20 am
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo

Computer parts manufacturers with RMA depot in Canada?

Having to send back some Crucial RAM to the States with the risk of brokerage and taxes at this end (and the cost with insurance almost as much as the ram so I'm forgoing insurance). Next time around I want to avoid shipping to the states, which manufacturers have RMA depots in Canada?

Update: $16 brokerage and duty. See my comment below.
Last edited by hagbard on Jun 13th, 2018 8:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Welcome to the Minitrue FDs, Ficdep
55 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5816 upvotes
Burlington
When my intel cpu died, I had to ship to Kentucky for RMA, shipping costs was $45 with all these declared value, etc.. bitter! It was just a few months ago.
So when a friend of mine started RMA for his Intel SSD, i told him to ask them for shipping label. They indeed UPS a shipping label - instead of just emailing the label. lol
See if crucial would do it.

I heard NZXT customer service is really good even though it's in the US.

ASUS to me is a goner.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7070 posts
3384 upvotes
hagbard wrote: Having to send back some Crucial RAM to the States with the risk of brokerage and taxes at this end (and the cost with insurance almost as much as the ram so I'm forgoing insurance). Next time around I want to avoid shipping to the states, which manufacturers have RMA depots in Canada?
Crucial treats Canadian customers like shit. For American customers they pay for shipping both ways. Once they hear you're from Canada it's only 1 way they pay shipping for.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
4495 posts
3437 upvotes
London
Kingston lets u use there fedex account to pay for 2 day shipping to there warehouse in the us then they ship u a replacement by 2 day shipping back never been charged any fees because they fill out the customs papers the right way so fees aren't charged on warranty replacement.

logitech and intel use ups also never get charged any fees from them they also provide pre paid labels.

asus seagate, western digital and antec are 3 that do have warehouses in canada but they make u pay for shipping.

Noctua and nzxt. Noctua ships from overseas and nzxt from usa but i know Noctua they will just ask for your invoice and ask u to send a pick of the item destroyed. i believe nzxt does this also if your from canada.
Last edited by aaron158 on May 15th, 2018 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
aaron158 wrote: Kingston lets u use there fedex account to pay for 2 day shipping to there warehouse in the us then they ship u a replacement by 2 day shipping back never been charged any fees because they fill out the customs papers the right way so fees aren't charged on warranty replacement.

logitech and intel use ups also never get charged any fees from them they also provide pre paid labels.

asus seagate, western digital and antec are 3 that do have warehouses in canada but they make u pay for shipping.

Noctua and nzxt. Noctua ships from overseas and Noctua from usa but i know Noctua they will just ask for your invoice and ask u to send a pick of the item destroyed. i believe nzxt does this also if your from canada.
Now that you mention it, I recall rma to Kingston about five years ago for an SSD, they did pick up the tab both ways (send a shipping label). Guess I'll go with them in the future. Right now I need ram manufacturers who RMA in canada or pay both ways to the states.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
4495 posts
3437 upvotes
London
hagbard wrote: Now that you mention it, I recall rma to Kingston about five years ago for an SSD, they did pick up the tab both ways (send a shipping label). Guess I'll go with them in the future. Right now I need ram manufacturers who RMA in canada or pay both ways to the states.
Kingston is the only one i can think of that i know for sure will pay both ways. ive heard some people can sometimes get a shipping label from corsair. but i'm not sure on that one as when i rma a water cooler with them they said no but when i needed case parts they just sent the part without needing the old part back.

i have never rmaed with Crucial before have u tried asking for a manger or posting on there facebook or twitter to ask if they would be willing to send u a pre paid label sometimes this can help.

another thing u can try if it hasn't been more then a year after u bought the ram try going into the store u bought it from sometimes they will just swap it for u or sometimes they will do the RMA for you just depends on the store and if they care about helping you out.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
FYI: I already sent the ram in so no point asking for a shipping label at this point.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1536 posts
981 upvotes
GTA
I sent ram back to gskill for $13 at Canada post to the US.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
MadCanadian wrote: I sent ram back to gskill for $13 at Canada post to the US.
Was going to be $19 to Crucial. Just not going that route in the future, just manufacturers with Canadian RMA depots.
Banned
Sep 16, 2006
1010 posts
236 upvotes
Barrie, ON
I believe Acer has an RMA place in Mississauga that also offers drop off/pickup service.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16765 posts
8104 upvotes
Netgear has an RMA depot in Whitby. I am dealing with them now. You don't really need to worry about it though because they pay for shipping both ways and they offer next day service. Let me tell you, though, it was a royal pain getting them to accept my open box R8500 router for warranty service. It took multiple phone calls and a lot of patience. At one point I had to hang up on the rep I was so frustrated.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
6494 posts
3282 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
SickBeast wrote: Netgear has an RMA depot in Whitby. I am dealing with them now. You don't really need to worry about it though because they pay for shipping both ways and they offer next day service. Let me tell you, though, it was a royal pain getting them to accept my open box R8500 router for warranty service. It took multiple phone calls and a lot of patience. At one point I had to hang up on the rep I was so frustrated.
Don't open boxes usually not have a warranty? It's usually like 90 days from the store of purchase or whatever is left on the original warranty (if anything).
¯\_(-.-)_/¯ A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Behold!
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
16765 posts
8104 upvotes
dealseaker101 wrote: Don't open boxes usually not have a warranty? It's usually like 90 days from the store of purchase or whatever is left on the original warranty (if anything).
It seems to be YMMV and I'm sure it varies by manufacturer. I was quite assertive about it. The girl tried telling me that Mike's computer shop was not an authorized reseller. The whole thing was frustrating but hopefully it's worth it. I paid $187.50 for the router, it seems like a great deal. And the thing was outstanding while it was working.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
MSI and Asus are in Markham. LG and Sony in Mississauga, great experience with LG about 12 years ago, dropped off DVD drive for rma at their office, they actually asked me to wait while they opened the package to check content and gave me a brand new one. Sony is not bad either, friend dropped off a laptop for rma (that was also about 10 years ago) because of broken USB port, a technician came to talk to friend after learning that he was visiting Toronto from Vancouver and told him that the usb port was broken possibly due to user's error (actually friend was forcing a usb drive into it the wrong way), the technician agree to fix it under warranty but advised my friend to be careful in the future.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6586 posts
1750 upvotes
rural ontario
My experience with corsair and a power supply was a gong show. Expensive to ship to California, and they shipped the new one back by UPS who wanted duty, taxes and brokerage fees. I refused the package and it went back. Next attempt they sent it by some other courier I've never heard of before that took a crazy route through states sometimes going in the opposite direction of Canada before finally arriving 3 weeks later. But I had to badger the shipping guy at corsair to get it done right. You'd think I'm not the first Canadian to RMA something. MSI was a easy RMA, their rebates sloooooow.
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2002
6065 posts
2507 upvotes
Zotac has a RMA site in Richmond BC.