Computers & Electronics

Computer speakers making a crackling sound, are they defective?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2021 9:52 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25991 posts
10701 upvotes
Socially Distanced

Computer speakers making a crackling sound, are they defective?

They are Dell speakers that appear to be discontinued, a couple years old. They make a crackling noise every 10-30 seconds or sometimes in rapid succession. There is no real pattern and i can't name any electronics in the house that cycle when the crackling happens.

Thoughts?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
43 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6929 posts
4660 upvotes
SW ON
Quentin5 wrote: They are Dell speakers that appear to be discontinued, a couple years old. They make a crackling noise every 10-30 seconds or sometimes in rapid succession. There is no real pattern and i can't name any electronics in the house that cycle when the crackling happens.

Thoughts?
Is your cell phone near them when they do it? Also, check the audio cable contacts. Just unplug it and re-plug on both ends.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25991 posts
10701 upvotes
Socially Distanced
alpovs wrote: Is your cell phone near them when they do it? Also, check the audio cable contacts. Just unplug it and re-plug on both ends.
Cell phone sometimes but not usually.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25991 posts
10701 upvotes
Socially Distanced
alpovs wrote: Is your cell phone near them when they do it? Also, check the audio cable contacts. Just unplug it and re-plug on both ends.
Unplugging from computer has not solved it
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6929 posts
4660 upvotes
SW ON
Quentin5 wrote: Cell phone sometimes but not usually.
If they do it without cell phone then it's not the problem.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6929 posts
4660 upvotes
SW ON
Quentin5 wrote: Unplugging from computer has not solved it
Check if they do the same when unplugged from the computer to make sure it's not the computer sound card that causes it.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25991 posts
10701 upvotes
Socially Distanced
alpovs wrote: Check if they do the same when unplugged from the computer to make sure it's not the computer sound card that causes it.
I already tried that as per the post you quoted Winking Face
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6929 posts
4660 upvotes
SW ON
Quentin5 wrote: I already tried that as per the post you quoted Winking Face
In the first post regarding the cable I suggested to unplug and re-plug it to clean the cable contacts. If they do it when unplugged than something is wrong with them.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25991 posts
10701 upvotes
Socially Distanced
alpovs wrote: In the first post regarding the cable I suggested to unplug and re-plug it to clean the cable contacts. If they do it when unplugged than something is wrong with them.
Ah, i unplugged and left it unplugged.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1261 posts
823 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Are the speakers plugged into a power bar with surge protection? Maybe something is up with the power bar.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25991 posts
10701 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Bianco13 wrote: Are the speakers plugged into a power bar with surge protection? Maybe something is up with the power bar.
Yes they are.
The surge protection light is glowing so its supposedly not burned out and is surge protecting.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3763 posts
2444 upvotes
London
what sound card do u have. have u updated the drivers. i use to have a sound blaster x-fi and the default windows 10 drivers were trash after the computer was running a couple hours it would start to make all kinds of fuzzy or buzzing sounds but if u replaced the driver with creatives driver it worked perfect.

do the speakers do it when there not plugged into a source? do they crackle when u turn the volume knob the volume knob could have dirty contacts.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25991 posts
10701 upvotes
Socially Distanced
aaron158 wrote: what sound card do u have. have u updated the drivers. i use to have a sound blaster x-fi and the default windows 10 drivers were trash after the computer was running a couple hours it would start to make all kinds of fuzzy or buzzing sounds but if u replaced the driver with creatives driver it worked perfect.

do the speakers do it when there not plugged into a source? do they crackle when u turn the volume knob the volume knob could have dirty contacts.
Built in sound card.
If i leave the sound cable unplugged it still does it.
There is no volume knob, oddly enough no crackles at the moment (plugged back in but was crackling a few mins ago plugged back in)
Next time it starts up i will try the volume buttons.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5029 posts
1583 upvotes
Richmond Hill
What if the input was another audio source like smart phone or stereo?
"Buy now, think later. This is the way."
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25991 posts
10701 upvotes
Socially Distanced
It is still crackling, just longer interval
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25991 posts
10701 upvotes
Socially Distanced
enwhyRFD wrote: What if the input was another audio source like smart phone or stereo?
Testing plugged into smart phone now
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3763 posts
2444 upvotes
London
Quentin5 wrote: Built in sound card.
If i leave the sound cable unplugged it still does it.
There is no volume knob, oddly enough no crackles at the moment (plugged back in but was crackling a few mins ago plugged back in)
Next time it starts up i will try the volume buttons.
ok ya if its not like an analog turning type knob that wouldn't be the issue.

if it does it well there not plugged in to a source then the speakers are probably just bad. dell speakers aren't nothing great they just get whatever low end speaker then can find and have it branded with there logo. probably something in the speaker going bad or a broken solder connection somewhere unless ur good a fixing that kind of thing ur self its not worth it. just grab a cheap set of logitech speakers or something like that u can get cheap computer speaker as low as 20 bucks
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25991 posts
10701 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Quentin5 wrote:
Testing plugged into smart phone now
Still crackling.
aaron158 wrote:
ok ya if its not like an analog turning type knob that wouldn't be the issue.

if it does it well there not plugged in to a source then the speakers are probably just bad. dell speakers aren't nothing great they just get whatever low end speaker then can find and have it branded with there logo. probably something in the speaker going bad or a broken solder connection somewhere unless ur good a fixing that kind of thing ur self its not worth it. just grab a cheap set of logitech speakers or something like that u can get cheap computer speaker as low as 20 bucks
I changed the volume all the way up and all the way down, still crackling

They are actually quite good speakers, they claim they were professionally tuned.
https://www.amazon.ca/Dell-V4J8D-AE415- ... B01IMVU56C

The sound is better than the cheapies.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
5273 posts
3955 upvotes
if you tried a different sound source and it still does it, then it's the speakers. What you might be seeing is one of the inner copper/copper-plated wires disconnecting from the inside of the speaker every time there is a vibration from the sound being made. If the disconnect is happening at the wire on the visible part then you could just use alligator copper clips to bypass the failing part of the wire. if it's happening inside the speaker then nothing you can do.

This also might be a bit better in that the part failing might be the input wires going to the speaker. Figure out which part is failing before dumping the speakers.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25991 posts
10701 upvotes
Socially Distanced
evilYoda wrote: if you tried a different sound source and it still does it, then it's the speakers. What you might be seeing is one of the inner copper/copper-plated wires disconnecting from the inside of the speaker every time there is a vibration from the sound being made. If the disconnect is happening at the wire on the visible part then you could just use alligator copper clips to bypass the failing part of the wire. if it's happening inside the speaker then nothing you can do.

This also might be a bit better in that the part failing might be the input wires going to the speaker. Figure out which part is failing before dumping the speakers.
I replaced the computer to speaker wire and that didn't help

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)