• Jun 6th, 2021 6:21 pm
[OP]
Aug 29, 2013
828 posts
695 upvotes
Waterloo

Computer/Tablet for a Beverage Cart on a Golf Course

Hey Guys/Girls,

I run a golf course and this year we are hoping to equip our beverage cart with a mobile payment terminal as well as a laptop/tablet to use as our point of sale.

Our pos software runs well on Windows so it was recommended to me to purchase a tablet to run the software. Looks as though a windows tab which runs about $600. It's too bad because the unit itself doesn't have to be very good necessarily, just has to be able to connect to wifi and run a pretty simple program...that's it.

There are plenty of laptop options on the other hand which I believe should do the job, especially if I can get a touchscreen. One would have to question how long the battery would last as it could be out in the field for 8 hours a day (although, certainly not under continuous use the entire time).

For connection , my computer guy is confident he can broadcast a wireless signal over the entire golf course with an antenna mounted to the roof of the building - i have my doubts but he seems very sure of himself. The payment terminal itself would run off of a sim card.

Computer guy is telling me that the tablet has better wifi options than the laptop which I don't totally understand.

Anyone have experience in this field or could offer up a suggestion, I would be very greatful!
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
5587 posts
5799 upvotes
GTA
A touchscreen tablet would be the same as the type of laptop you seem to prefer. If it's running Windows it is likely Windows 10S, which I believe is more touchscreen oriented. Your IT guy is probably recommending a Microsoft Surface at that price point, which is a kind of laptop/tablet hybrid. If your issue with wanting a laptop is for a keyboard, just purchase a cheap Bluetooth one for it.
It sounds to me like what you're being advised to get and what you want are one and the same. As far as the external wifi antenna setup, yes it is possible to do.
c'mon get happy!
Dec 6, 2020
820 posts
878 upvotes
glfrboy wrote: For connection , my computer guy is confident he can broadcast a wireless signal over the entire golf course with an antenna mounted to the roof of the building - i have my doubts but he seems very sure of himself.
Hire a wireless consultant to give you a second opinion on that before you buy any hardware.

I strongly suspect it will be much more cost effective to use cellular data for your POS than to set up wifi over an entire golf course. This will push your choice of hardware towards tablets/laptops with built-in LTE modems.

You will probably get better answers to these sorts of questions in forums, such as the Spiceworks Community forums, that are more oriented towards professional networking.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
3057 posts
1144 upvotes
Why go to this trouble setting up wifi and your own tablets?? Everyone has a smartphone now. Hire an app developer and create an app they can install onto their phones.
Then charge everything to their "account".
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35146 posts
8556 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I would get an iPad with an LTE SIM

Use Jump Desktop to remote back into a Windows computer to run the Point Of Sale software
glfrboy wrote: Computer guy is telling me that the tablet has better wifi options than the laptop which I don't totally understand.
Get a new IT guy. He is not being honest with you
[OP]
Aug 29, 2013
828 posts
695 upvotes
Waterloo
shutterbug wrote: Why go to this trouble setting up wifi and your own tablets?? Everyone has a smartphone now. Hire an app developer and create an app they can install onto their phones.
Then charge everything to their "account".
I should have noted that I'm running a totally public golf course. This solution would be absolutely ideal at a private club but I can't expect a public player who may only play once this season to download an app in order to buy a beer on the course. (I realize this may come off as snooty when you're reading it but I did not intend it that way). I very much appreciate any and all suggestions!
[OP]
Aug 29, 2013
828 posts
695 upvotes
Waterloo
Well folks, I've gone ahead and ordered a tablet through Bell...Looks like it's going to run me an extra $24 each month (tablet fee and extra line fee included)...which is really not much at all.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Jun 21, 2008
558 posts
148 upvotes
mississauga
let us know how it worked out
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
5587 posts
5799 upvotes
GTA
glfrboy wrote: I should have noted that I'm running a totally public golf course. This solution would be absolutely ideal at a private club but I can't expect a public player who may only play once this season to download an app in order to buy a beer on the course. (I realize this may come off as snooty when you're reading it but I did not intend it that way). I very much appreciate any and all suggestions!
A public course? Pfftt... you're telling me people don't just sneak beers onto the course?

In any case, hope it works out for you
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Aug 29, 2013
828 posts
695 upvotes
Waterloo
Hey Everyone!

The LTE tablet is such an easy and affordable option, I feel so stupid for even questioning it's viability in the first place! The sim card is an additional $10 a month on our plan and we're using the data that already included in our mobility package. I don't expect the data to be a problem. Awesome upgrade to our outdated and inefficient system of running tabs on the beverage cart.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and I hope you all have a super awesome summer!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)