• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2019 7:08 am
[OP]
May 14, 2019
1 posts

Comwave VS Teksavvy

I'm looking to change from Bell internet because of their outrageous prices (Rogers isn't much better).

I'm considering Comwave or Teksavvy. I need some suggestions as to which one is better overall.

Thank you for you suggestions in advance!
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8680 posts
1624 upvotes
For me it's Teksavvy. They offer both cable and DSL solutions, we're on DSL. Not too sure about the other guy.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Aug 19, 2013
328 posts
276 upvotes
Etobicoke
Teksavvy. Stay away from Comwave.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7005 posts
1357 upvotes
Scarborough
Teksavvy or Start for internet.

Stay away from comwave they’re shady in their billing and increases too.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6107 posts
1056 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
I actually switched from Teksavvy to Bell last December after having Teksavvy/Cogeco internet cable for 2 1/2 years.

Problem with Teksavvy/Cogeco was that the download speed never approached what was advertised, best I got was 30 Gbs with a 40/10 plan, but the biggest issue was the speed dropping to essentially zero in late afternoon/early evening. It was often so slow that speed test would not even run.

Switch to slow Bell fiber 50/50 plan for $5.- more than Teksavvy,speed is always consistently 65 down and 55 up since it was installed and every time I checked it.
May 15, 2019
80 posts
53 upvotes
GWN
Good question. Google "Comwave Reviews" and you'll get a history of unethical behaviour.
My beef with them is:
Internet system access fee: $7.95 plus tax extra per month
Service fee: started at -nil-, went to $0.99, $1.49, currently $2.95 plus tax extra per month, of course you have the option of not paying the monthly fee, but they will charge you $8 or $9 per phone call (plus tax).
Their contract states that they could raise the fees without notice, whenever they want and without justification, Think about that.
When I returned their internet box, they said that they didn't receive it. When I confronted them with a signed receipt by a Comwave employee obtained by Canada Post, they decided "as a Goodwill gesture" to waive the non-return fee.

Let's not get started on their phone plan Emergency 911 fee of currently $2.95 per month plus tax. Compare that to other providers (which is typically $0.95 per month).
If you don't mind getting cheated, then go with Comwave. However, there are plenty of ISP's who have substantially better deals than Conwave.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21811 posts
16114 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
krs wrote: I actually switched from Teksavvy to Bell last December after having Teksavvy/Cogeco internet cable for 2 1/2 years.

Problem with Teksavvy/Cogeco was that the download speed never approached what was advertised, best I got was 30 Gbs with a 40/10 plan, but the biggest issue was the speed dropping to essentially zero in late afternoon/early evening. It was often so slow that speed test would not even run.

Switch to slow Bell fiber 50/50 plan for $5.- more than Teksavvy,speed is always consistently 65 down and 55 up since it was installed and every time I checked it.
So you were on TekSavvy cable and switched to Bhell DSL. The issues you experienced sound like they're related to cable, not the choice of ISP.

Did you consider TekSavvy DSL?

As for TekSavvy vs. Comwave, you get what you pay for.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6107 posts
1056 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
bylo wrote: So you were on TekSavvy cable and switched to Bhell DSL. The issues you experienced sound like they're related to cable, not the choice of ISP.

Did you consider TekSavvy DSL?

As for TekSavvy vs. Comwave, you get what you pay for.
No, I didn't switch to Bell DSL, I switched to Bell Fiber (read my post again), FTTH to be exact, slow FTTH at 50/50

And the issue could have been Cogeco, could also have been the Teksavvy infrastructure - in the end it didn't really matter.

I had DSL with Teksavvy initially when I moved, but the speed with DSL would barely hit 3 G/s and with four users at the house that wasn't enough.
So we switched to Teksavvy cable internet.
That was fine for the first year and a half but then kept slowing down during certain periods and we also got half day outages.
Teksavvy tried to fix things, but after struggling for six months I finally gave up.

So far I'm very happy with Bell, I got an installation appointment on a Monday when I placed the order the previous Thursday, which was a lot quicker than I expected.
The Bell installer showed up on time, consulted with me where we wanted the Bell modem/router - did the installation in a couple of hours and since December, the service has been perfect - no outages, no slowdowns.
No issues with the billing either so far but you can bet I keep my eye on that.
I actually pay as I get the invoices from Bell - none of that auto billing for me.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
21811 posts
16114 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
krs wrote: No, I didn't switch to Bell DSL, I switched to Bell Fiber (read my post again), FTTH to be exact, slow FTTH at 50/50
Actually Bhell "Fibe" ;)

That's something no MVNO offers because the incumbent wants them to pay several times as much as Bhell sells it to their retail customers. This anti-competitive issue is before the CRTC. It's yet one more reason why I won't do business directly with Bhell. (Another is that this effectively locks out competition in new apartment buildings that are wired only with fibre.

Just saying, but TekSavvy does offer DSL at 50/10, although perhaps not in your area. I have that and have been using it without any problems for a couple of years.
I actually pay as I get the invoices from Bell - none of that auto billing for me.
I much prefer auto-payment. It's a great convenience. Never had a problem with it in close to 15 years with TekSavvy.

Anyway, to each his own.
veni, vidi, Visa