[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13096 posts
4705 upvotes
Ontario

Concrete DriveWay

Hello,

We currently have an old 30+ year old concrete driveway which we are looking to get totally replaced as some areas have started to sink and we get sitting water puddles.
II have somebody coming by to give us a quote & will likely call a few other companies also but I was wondering what should i be asking for specifically? Strength of concrete? Thickness? Rebar? What should the base be to avoid sinking?

We just want broom finish concrete no special pattern or color.

The size is roughly

24.5ft Length
19ft Width

What sort of price range should I expect for something like this?

UPDATE:

Ended up going with Finesse Concrete Project Inc.
https://www.facebook.com/finesseconcreteproject/
https://www.instagram.com/finesseconcreteproject/
Last edited by sickcars on Sep 17th, 2020 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13 replies
May 12, 2003
371 posts
246 upvotes
GTA
Honestly, given that you have pre existing concrete, they won't have to dig underneath.

you should ask for MPA rating, believe 32 is the minimum for outside work.

Your biggest cost would be to cut and dispose of the older concrete.

For new fresh broom finish concrete, you're probably looking at $6-8 per square feet. You can get it even cheaper, at $4-5. but you get what you pay for.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13096 posts
4705 upvotes
Ontario
True unless they want to make it thicker I believe the current concrete we have is on the thin side.

great, thanks for the info.

ssj4_ootaku1 wrote: Honestly, given that you have pre existing concrete, they won't have to dig underneath.

you should ask for MPA rating, believe 32 is the minimum for outside work.

Your biggest cost would be to cut and dispose of the older concrete.

For new fresh broom finish concrete, you're probably looking at $6-8 per square feet. You can get it even cheaper, at $4-5. but you get what you pay for.
Jan 19, 2017
790 posts
870 upvotes
Kitchener
With the existing concrete sinking and moving around, thats usually an indication the base material wasn't done all that great. I'd make sure that once the original concrete is pulled up, you dig a hole to check the depth of proper granular. To prepare yourself, I'd recommend having the contractors price the concrete replacement only, and option for remove and replacement of existing granular base, to 12" (2 lifts of 6" depth, 1/2" crush) or so.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13096 posts
4705 upvotes
Ontario
Well the old concrete is about 30 years old & it only started sinking a few years ago after the city replaced the sidewalk area which effected our driveway. other then that no stone or rebar or anything was actually put into our driveway 30 years ago so its actually lasted really well based on that.

Thanks for the info.
rtookey wrote: With the existing concrete sinking and moving around, thats usually an indication the base material wasn't done all that great. I'd make sure that once the original concrete is pulled up, you dig a hole to check the depth of proper granular. To prepare yourself, I'd recommend having the contractors price the concrete replacement only, and option for remove and replacement of existing granular base, to 12" (2 lifts of 6" depth, 1/2" crush) or so.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13096 posts
4705 upvotes
Ontario
Just an update, I have been getting a bunch of quotes and they have ranged from around $8,000 - $12,200 for roughly 500sqft
But most seem to be on the lower end of those prices.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10149 upvotes
Toronto
Neighbour did his a few years back and paid around $13000, a little bigger than the one you are replacing. I have the contractor details too if you want it, I took a photo, so just need to find it. I was thinking myself of going this route instead of asphalt.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13096 posts
4705 upvotes
Ontario
I'm ok thanks. I have 2 more guys and then that will be 6 total contracts and im not getting quotes. I already got 2 or 3 guys in my head that i would want to use out of them.
koffey wrote: Neighbour did his a few years back and paid around $13000, a little bigger than the one you are replacing. I have the contractor details too if you want it, I took a photo, so just need to find it. I was thinking myself of going this route instead of asphalt.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13096 posts
4705 upvotes
Ontario
Update: Decided on a Contractor last month and they are set to start this week (likely tomorrow)
Aug 31, 2012
682 posts
242 upvotes
Toronto
sickcars wrote: Update: Decided on a Contractor last month and they are set to start this week (likely tomorrow)
Take pics. I am thinking of this for my next project.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13096 posts
4705 upvotes
Ontario
Some photos of the work so far. Breaking/Removing of old concrete, leveling ground, figuring out the slope etc all done in 1 day.
Images
  • IMG_5857.JPG
  • IMG_5864.JPG
  • IMG_5865.JPG
  • IMG_5866.JPG
  • IMG_5875.JPG
  • IMG_5876.JPG
  • IMG_5878.JPG
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1257 posts
442 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Looks like your driveway is sloped towards your house, unless it's just the pics. Not ideal.

One thing to check that they sawcut the joints properly and the panels should be relatively square. The length or width of a panel should not exceed a ratio of 1.5 to 1. Otherwise it will crack itself. Also make sure they place a fiber board or piece of roofing felt at the interface between the foundation of your house and the concrete.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13096 posts
4705 upvotes
Ontario
Its the photos, its all sloped away from the house after the concrete was put in.

yes on the foundation and against other concrete slaps there was the proper felt but between it.
richuwo11 wrote: Looks like your driveway is sloped towards your house, unless it's just the pics. Not ideal.

One thing to check that they sawcut the joints properly and the panels should be relatively square. The length or width of a panel should not exceed a ratio of 1.5 to 1. Otherwise it will crack itself. Also make sure they place a fiber board or piece of roofing felt at the interface between the foundation of your house and the concrete.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)