• Sep 17th, 2018 11:45 am
[OP]
Jul 8, 2014
234 posts
102 upvotes
AB

Concrete Driveway Sealer - A Few Questions

Hello,

My new driveway was poured 2 months ago, my builder advised me it was my responsibility to have the concrete sealed within one year of pouring.

I am planning to do it before the winter.

The builder recommended using a silane or siloxane sealer, which costs around $350 for a 5 gallon container.

Just wondering what would happen if I just used a consumer grade product from home depot/Canadian Tire to seal the driveway. The prices range from $30-60 for these products.

The sealers the builder recomends using are 10X more for the silane/silxane sealers vs the other alternatives.

Thanks,

15 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2323 posts
306 upvotes
Ancaster
Big box store sealers won't have the durability that the products your builder mentioned.

I wouldn't even use those products on a walkway let alone a driveway.

Get the good stuff your builder recommended. You won't have any regrets.
Jun 12, 2009
618 posts
184 upvotes
+1 above
also get the professional-grade spray pump (~200) and you are good to go
apply every 2 or 3 years as needed
use the search feature, there was a pretty informative thread on this topic
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3883 posts
1413 upvotes
Mississauga
I use Hiac or Hiac Plus from WR Meadows for my patterned concrete. Looks like OP is from Alberta but I get it from Form and Build Supply in Mississauga. There is a contact us on the WR Meadows website. Maybe they can suggest a supplier in AB.
[OP]
Jul 8, 2014
234 posts
102 upvotes
AB
One of the suppliers mentioned WR meadows "701" as an alternative. They said it was an acrylic sealer vs silane/Siloxane.

The price they quoted for this was $160, so $200 cheaper. Would this be a suitable option?
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3883 posts
1413 upvotes
Mississauga
Hiac and Hiac Plus are acrylic too. If your driveway requires a silicone-based sealer then do what is recommended. For my patterned concrete they recommended an acrylic sealer.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
1698 posts
801 upvotes
, ON
on a drive way topic, which one is more durable sealed concrete driveway, or sealed serpentine driveway? what's the cost to do serpentine driveway on one single garage and some walkway to porch?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7507 posts
1427 upvotes
I think that first seal is like a base so you need a good one and the cheaper ones are more meant for a maintenance coating for wear and tear so that is why they are cheaper.

Personally I would go with Silkaguard, that is why we use for industrial work.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Dec 7, 2009
248 posts
104 upvotes
burbs
anotherbargainhunter wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 3:48 pm
My driveway was just finished today. From my camera looking over the driveway, it looks like this. Is it normal?
Yes totally normal. The brown streaks are dirt tracking from the machines rollers when they were rolling/compressing the asphalt. They spray water on the rollers to prevent the asphalt from sticking to them and the streaks you see is the result. Wait for the next rainfall for it to wash off or get out your hose.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
1698 posts
801 upvotes
, ON
ManInTheBurbs wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 9:09 am
Yes totally normal. The brown streaks are dirt tracking from the machines rollers when they were rolling/compressing the asphalt. They spray water on the rollers to prevent the asphalt from sticking to them and the streaks you see is the result. Wait for the next rainfall for it to wash off or get out your hose.
I hose it down but the streaks won't go away. Is it okay to apply sealer with the streaks on it since the sealer will paint it black anyway?
Last edited by anotherbargainhunter on Sep 17th, 2018 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 7, 2009
248 posts
104 upvotes
burbs
Sep 15th, 2018 4:57 pm
I hose it down but the steaks won't go away. Is it okay to apply sealer with the streaks on it since the sealer will paint it black anyway?
They will go away. You just had a 4 ton roller press the asphalt down so the dirt might be lodged in there. Once you've driven on it for a bit it will clear up. If you want to apply sealer go ahead but it's unnecessary. The sealer may not stick very well to a brand new driveway. There are a lot of oils that come off it in the first few months.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
1698 posts
801 upvotes
, ON
ManInTheBurbs wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 8:26 am
They will go away. You just had a 4 ton roller press the asphalt down so the dirt might be lodged in there. Once you've driven on it for a bit it will clear up. If you want to apply sealer go ahead but it's unnecessary. The sealer may not stick very well to a brand new driveway. There are a lot of oils that come off it in the first few months.
I sealed it yesterday with Epoxy based sealant. I wish I got the reply a day earlier. Will I see problem down the road for sealing a brand new driveway?
Dec 7, 2009
248 posts
104 upvotes
burbs
Sep 17th, 2018 10:52 am
I sealed it yesterday with Epoxy based sealant. I wish I got the reply a day earlier. Will I see problem down the road for sealing a brand new driveway?
It's possible. The sealer may prematurely wear or possibly flake off, but most store bought sealers are only designed to last a year, maybe two.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
1698 posts
801 upvotes
, ON
ManInTheBurbs wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 10:58 am
It's possible. The sealer may prematurely wear or possibly flake off, but most store bought sealers are only designed to last a year, maybe two.
The sealer that I bought has 15 years manufacture warranty, and some people was able to get a full refund when it didn't last for 15 years. Oh well, time will tell. At least I don't need to deal with cleaning oil stain and any other stains before I seal if I have to wait 6 months or longer