• May 18th, 2021 12:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2499 posts
1592 upvotes
Calgary

Concrete side walk issue

Hi everyone. We are closing on the property soon and have this issue with the concrete side walk. It seems to be sinking toward the house. Has anyone gotten something like this fixed? I was told best bet would be to lift this and the re pave it. It's about 10x35 ft. Any advice would help.
Images
  • IMG_20210404_135517.jpg
10 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2499 posts
1592 upvotes
Calgary
Jon Lai wrote: What is your goal?

You are unlikely to be able to get $ back from the seller as this is something that you should've seen when you placed the offer. If you're only looking into how to fix this, then yes, repaving it would be ideal.
Not looking at getting anything back from the seller as we knew about this issue. I am looking more toward experience who have had concrete lifting done and what does it cost in general and future issues. Goal is to get it lifted and then repaved including the front driveway. Problem is I have been quoted from 3000-10000. So that's a bit of a range.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2014
1290 posts
1742 upvotes
I would personally rent a electric Jackhammer and break up the concrete for removal. If you want to keep your costs down, just lay grass sod and some paving blocks if you you need a walkway/pathway.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2499 posts
1592 upvotes
Calgary
flyjazz wrote: I would personally rent a electric Jackhammer and break up the concrete for removal. If you want to keep your costs down, just lay grass sod and some paving blocks if you you need a walkway/pathway.
The thing is this space is about 10ft wide and I would like to keep it as a driveway instead for future renter/buyer. Hence wanting to fix the concrete.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2014
1290 posts
1742 upvotes
masarwar wrote: The thing is this space is about 10ft wide and I would like to keep it as a driveway instead for future renter/buyer. Hence wanting to fix the concrete.
It appears there is a problem underneath the concrete beside the house. My guess is it's a drainage issue and/or clay. You could simply pave over, or pour more concrete, but you're just band-aiding the issue. If it's going to be a rental, does it really matter? Using it as a driveway, maybe gravel it instead, that way any further settling doesn't create any additional problems or expenses.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20709 posts
14168 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
The traditional solution would be mud-jacking where holes are drilled into the concrete and more concrete is injected below the slab to lift the slab until it's level. There's a new version that uses expanding foam instead of concrete but same idea - inject it below and the slab goes up.

However, before doing that, it might be a good idea to see what's going on below and if it has been stable. As the current home-owner on the story of the slab - ie has it be always like that or if the dip only started and is getting worse? You might have to put it in writing that you aren't looking to come after them for money so that they can honestly tell you what's going on rather than lying thinking you will sue them for non-disclosure.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2499 posts
1592 upvotes
Calgary
Thank you for the reply. I am honestly the liking the idea about tearing this out and going with gravel as it seems to be the cheapest of the option. Another quote came in today for 5k (lifting concrete, fill, repave and reform) so it's in the ballpark of what I am budgeting it.

Can't really talk to the previous owner as they passed away. House is being bought from the bank.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
3290 posts
6288 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
masarwar wrote: Thank you for the reply. I am honestly the liking the idea about tearing this out and going with gravel as it seems to be the cheapest of the option. Another quote came in today for 5k (lifting concrete, fill, repave and reform) so it's in the ballpark of what I am budgeting it.

Can't really talk to the previous owner as they passed away. House is being bought from the bank.
You will have to jack hammer this thing and get rid of it. You can do it over a weekend with a friend or two, hopefully it's a thin slab of concrete and if you are lucky it has no rebar.

Leaving it with exposed gravel should be ok with the grade away from the house, but in a perfect world you do want some sort of walkable surface that when graded properly pushes the water flow away from the house, the gravel is just going to drain it down rather away (would still be much better than the current situation. There are cheap 2'x'2 paver stone you can put down that would do the trick if money is an issue.

Also fix the downspouts asap.
RE Broker
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26829 posts
11286 upvotes
Socially Distanced
masarwar wrote: Can't really talk to the previous owner as they passed away. House is being bought from the bank.
According to my Ouija board the previous owner plans to haunt your family until you make a sacrifice to the Flying Macaroni Monster.

This is one of those jobs you want to take your time and understand how its going to be fixed instead of going with the most charismatic quoter. You may need to become something of an expert on this before you decide on how to fix it in order to not end up with a suboptimal solution.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2499 posts
1592 upvotes
Calgary
RichmondCA wrote: You will have to jack hammer this thing and get rid of it. You can do it over a weekend with a friend or two, hopefully it's a thin slab of concrete and if you are lucky it has no rebar.

Leaving it with exposed gravel should be ok with the grade away from the house, but in a perfect world you do want some sort of walkable surface that when graded properly pushes the water flow away from the house, the gravel is just going to drain it down rather away (would still be much better than the current situation. There are cheap 2'x'2 paver stone you can put down that would do the trick if money is an issue.

Also fix the downspouts asap.
Only if I was this handy or had friends who were handy lol. I am getting almost similar quotes for breaking up and redoing versus lifting and repaving so I am leaning toward just replacing the entire concrete pathway and possibly extend it to the drive way. Thanks everyone.