• Oct 1st, 2018 4:22 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2007
3631 posts
6560 upvotes
Kelowna

Concrete Slab Costs

Wonder if any concrete folks can provide some cost estimates for me...

11x11 Concrete slab cost estimate; including prepping the site, forms, pouring, leveling and treating (essentially a final product). First company quoted me $25/sft, 3K for that seems like robbery, so I'd like an RFD opinion.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
Bargain_Brett wrote: Wonder if any concrete folks can provide some cost estimates for me...

11x11 Concrete slab cost estimate; including prepping the site, forms, pouring, leveling and treating (essentially a final product). First company quoted me $25/sft, 3K for that seems like robbery, so I'd like an RFD opinion.
The concrete itself will cost roughly 5$ a foot if it’s 4” deep, then you have stone wood etc. Which will add a few dollars a foot and labour may be around 5-10$ a foot depending

you might have a hard time finding someone to do this small job
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
871 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
Do you want rebar in It?
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2007
3631 posts
6560 upvotes
Kelowna
poleman wrote: Do you want rebar in It?
Apologizes, I missed that detail, but the quote I had included rebar in it. I dunno at what size slab requires rebar, but I planned to include it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
6323 posts
3867 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
I'm also in the market for a concrete slab but know very little. I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions here. We are having a covered patio built in the next few weeks off our detached garage. We are forgoing the pad this year as the roof structure was our budget but hope to pour the pad in the spring. It is roughly 13' x 30' that we need poured. What thickness should we be going with for a patio and should it inside rebar? We hope to begin getting quotes in the next couple months but want to go in better informed on what specifically we want to have them do.
Dec 7, 2009
529 posts
356 upvotes
B-Town
ChicoQuente wrote: I'm also in the market for a concrete slab but know very little. I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions here. We are having a covered patio built in the next few weeks off our detached garage. We are forgoing the pad this year as the roof structure was our budget but hope to pour the pad in the spring. It is roughly 13' x 30' that we need poured. What thickness should we be going with for a patio and should it inside rebar? We hope to begin getting quotes in the next couple months but want to go in better informed on what specifically we want to have them do.
As a tip, you might be able to get some better pricing if you wait until early spring to get quotes. A lot of contractors are eager to start up their season early by offering discounted prices on their services. If you book now, which is the busiest time of year for a lot of these guys, you could be paying busy season rates. But if you want the peace of mind that pre-booking brings you, then go for it.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1380 posts
549 upvotes
Oakville, ON
ChicoQuente wrote: I'm also in the market for a concrete slab but know very little. I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions here. We are having a covered patio built in the next few weeks off our detached garage. We are forgoing the pad this year as the roof structure was our budget but hope to pour the pad in the spring. It is roughly 13' x 30' that we need poured. What thickness should we be going with for a patio and should it inside rebar? We hope to begin getting quotes in the next couple months but want to go in better informed on what specifically we want to have them do.
Between 4 to 6 inches thick is plenty (similar to a sidewalk). You do not need rebar for a slab on grade. It doesn't hurt to have it in there as long as its done properly. I also posted this in another concrete slab thread recently:

https://www.concreteconstruction.net/_v ... fdb4620000

Having your contractor lay out your sawcut joints properly is the most important. If you have a square or rectangular shaped pad it's easy. When you start getting fancy with curves and odd shapes, it can be a challenge.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2153 posts
225 upvotes
Toronto
So what would be an average market price for slabs $per/sqft? If a garage with an area of 20x15, based on OPs quote it will be $7,500 which i think is a daylight robbery.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
6323 posts
3867 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Thanks for the helpful information so far guys. It is greatly appreciated. I'd still love to hear some ballpark numbers as well on $/sq ft.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2004
1041 posts
228 upvotes
Hamilton
koleso wrote: So what would be an average market price for slabs $per/sqft? If a garage with an area of 20x15, based on OPs quote it will be $7,500 which i think is a daylight robbery.
I paid ~3K for 24x14 garage pad (with rebar) last spring, but ground leveling/prep was done by landscape contractor (as part of bigger job). Other quotes were around 7K.
“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.” ― Terry Pratchett, Hogfather