[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2384 posts
235 upvotes
Mississauga

Condo Bathroom exhaust fans always on

So this is a condo with 2 bathrooms

It has 1 exhaust fan in each bathroom. The previous owner unplug the fans when we got this place. First day I noticed the fans weren't working so I opened up the covers and noticed fans were unplugged. I plugged it back in and they both works, but there aren't any switch to turn them off.

My question is are they supposed to be on 24/7 or the previous owner did something wrong with the light switch?

Cuz usually the light switch it's also the on and off button for the fan.

The fan is with motor, I think, not the newerly condo kind (silent exhaust fan).

Right now the fans are on 24/7.
Images
  • tmp-cam-8851129124102643209.jpg
13 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15085 posts
16040 upvotes
Oakville
Isn't that how you get fresh air?
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1176 posts
1019 upvotes
killer007 wrote: So this is a condo with 2 bathrooms

It has 1 exhaust fan in each bathroom. The previous owner unplug the fans when we got this place. First day I noticed the fans weren't working so I opened up the covers and noticed fans were unplugged. I plugged it back in and they both works, but there aren't any switch to turn them off.

My question is are they supposed to be on 24/7 or the previous owner did something wrong with the light switch?

Cuz usually the light switch it's also the on and off button for the fan.

The fan is with motor, I think, not the newerly condo kind (silent exhaust fan).

Right now the fans are on 24/7.
If you know who the property or maintenance manager for your building is you should ask him/her. They would be able to tell you based on what they have seen in other units. If you don’t know who the manager is just ask the security guard who the manager is.

Do you have a fan switch by the light switch or no?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2384 posts
235 upvotes
Mississauga
Nope, not at all
Ummm let me see if I can ask the management office
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
1981 posts
291 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

It would be against building code to not have a way to shut off power to the exhaust fan. A lot of bathroom fans in public washrooms & commercial buildings are tied in to the bathroom lights. I think the exhaust fan power wire is in the light switch box & it's connected to the wrong side of the light switch.
https://guide-house.com/how-to-wire-a-b ... ne-switch/
Apr 17, 2016
314 posts
176 upvotes
Toronto
Why is there a sticker on the fan that says 'do not plug in'? Was that sticker put in by the builder?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2384 posts
235 upvotes
Mississauga
I am wondering that too
I am not sure...
Man did the previous owner screwed up?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2384 posts
235 upvotes
Mississauga
Have to wait until office open and I need to ask them
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2417 posts
1251 upvotes
Mississauga
gfnstew wrote: Why is there a sticker on the fan that says 'do not plug in'? Was that sticker put in by the builder?
Yeah. I am curious about that sticker as well. There must be a reason why someone did that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2384 posts
235 upvotes
Mississauga
ProductGuy wrote: OP how old is the condo?
10 years old

It's weird cuz I was looking for the fan and noticed it was off
So I opened it up and it was unplugged and I plugged back in and it works
So previous owner might did something to it?
It's been on 3 days straight but I heard you shouldn't do that cuz it's fire hazard?
Jul 7, 2005
923 posts
125 upvotes
Leave it unplugged. Units are negative pressure, building ventilation pushes fresh air into units entered from hallway through door gaps. Unplug it and put a tissue paper up to grill, it should stick. Condo package would detail this information. I've only ever seen it in Solaris myself. Ventus is not like this, haven't seen Avani but I assume it's the same as Ventus.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2010
2384 posts
235 upvotes
Mississauga
linsook wrote: Leave it unplugged. Units are negative pressure, building ventilation pushes fresh air into units entered from hallway through door gaps. Unplug it and put a tissue paper up to grill, it should stick. Condo package would detail this information. I've only ever seen it in Solaris myself. Ventus is not like this, haven't seen Avani but I assume it's the same as Ventus.
Ummm actually....I am at Solaris hahahah
So I unplugged it but I put a tissue, the tissue fall right off the grill. However, when I plug it, the fan starts to move and tissue suck tightly to the grill.

Avani is the silent one with small suction 24 hours nonstop
If you want more power, it has a button beside the light switch that you can tempary increase suction.
Jul 7, 2005
923 posts
125 upvotes
Is your main door jam free of any foam seals?

Read over your Solaris package it should go over this to alleviate your concerns or speak with property management for them to explain to you. Other option is to hook the fan up to the switch. Consult an electrician.