• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2020 10:18 pm
[OP]
Sep 15, 2016
195 posts
211 upvotes

Condo Bathroom Sink - Fix/Replace?

Hi Guys!
The bathroom sink in my condo looks like this. I want to either fix it or replace it.
I checked in Home Depot/Lowes, they couldn't suggest a fix. Apparently, if it was white, it could have been repainted, but with black, there is no such paint. And for the replacement option, the top is not readily available (may have to get it custom made).
Can anyone suggest anything? Any ballpark estimates how much would a custom replacements cost me?
Images
  • 20201018_114850.jpg
  • 20201018_114915.jpg
11 replies
Mar 10, 2004
690 posts
229 upvotes
What s wrong with it? Is the sink leaking? From where?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6038 posts
2672 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
It's a one-piece unit, maybe cultured marble. Cultured marble is artificial marbles with film printed on it and coated with some resin. Use of an abrasive (pad or cleaner) to clean may have resulted in the damage. Probably custom given it's a condo. Maybe check with other condo owners to see if they are renovating and pick up their old uses.

You could try a fiberglass coating gel and see if it works.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... story.html
Last edited by thriftshopper on Dec 9th, 2020 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12468 posts
7248 upvotes
Markham
Might be able to use a compound and polish on it...if you're considering replacing it, can't hurt to try this first.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Sep 15, 2016
195 posts
211 upvotes
tempperm wrote: What s wrong with it? Is the sink leaking? From where?
It's not leaking, but looks terrible. Closely look at the part near the drain in the second picture.
[OP]
Sep 15, 2016
195 posts
211 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Might be able to use a compound and polish on it...if you're considering replacing it, can't hurt to try this first.
Could you suggest a compound please?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12213 posts
6752 upvotes
Brampton
thriftshopper wrote: It's a one-piece unit, maybe cultured marble. Cultured marble is artificial marbles with film printed on it and coated with some resin. Use of an abrasive (pad or cleaner) to clean may have resulted in the damage. Probably custom given it's a condo. Maybe check with other condo owners to see if they are renovating and pick up their old uses.

You could try a fiberglass coating gel and see if it works.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... story.html
Looks more like a cheap resin sink.
Cultured marble would be more durable to resist those scratches also it looks like it's chipping towards the edge. The finish is just chipping off.

Hard to tell because of how much RFD compresses the image.

The fix is the same tho.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12468 posts
7248 upvotes
Markham
If it were me, I might use a toothpaste (not gel) and see how that goes. I'd be tempted to start with least aggressive and see how it goes.

For compounds and polishes, look at the car detailing stuff....ask some friends because sometimes the stuff is somewhat expensive and you don't need a lot.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3019 posts
2266 upvotes
Toronto
I don't see why it couldn't be repainted, it would take more coats but I cannot see why it wouldn't be possible. Mind you I'm not sure if the results would look good as I've never seen it done before.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8051 posts
2726 upvotes
Maple
Replace with new and fresh look with custom quartz countertop. Cultured marble is old and tired look.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3684 posts
2640 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Don't even try to fix it, just replace it. Don't do anything crazy like a custom top; you don't need the weird shelf thing over the toilet. That shelf over the toilet is just a junk collection spot, and a chance to accidentally knock something into the toilet bowl, which can get accidentally flushed and block your toilet trap. I've done service calls for this exact reason.

A vanity sized counter top at a big box store can be had for less than $100. You'll need to also buy a sink, but on the cheap, one could also be had for about $100. The drywall on the left, and the spot where the weird shelf is located will probably have to be repaired, unless you get lucky and they stuck the backsplash on with silicone.
[OP]
Sep 15, 2016
195 posts
211 upvotes
MrFrugal1 wrote: Don't even try to fix it, just replace it. Don't do anything crazy like a custom top; you don't need the weird shelf thing over the toilet. That shelf over the toilet is just a junk collection spot, and a chance to accidentally knock something into the toilet bowl, which can get accidentally flushed and block your toilet trap. I've done service calls for this exact reason.

A vanity sized counter top at a big box store can be had for less than $100. You'll need to also buy a sink, but on the cheap, one could also be had for about $100. The drywall on the left, and the spot where the weird shelf is located will probably have to be repaired, unless you get lucky and they stuck the backsplash on with silicone.
Thank you sir! Your points make complete sense; I will talk to someone who can do it for me.