Home & Garden

Condo, Can I Get Renovations Done While Renters Are Living In It?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2020 7:00 am
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4635 posts
4894 upvotes
GTA
Why don't you move out, have the renovations done in a month, and then rent it?

I'd be pissed if the landlord made me put up with a big renovation and contractors in the unit everyday.

For what? So that you don't miss out on 1 month's income?
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12159 posts
7351 upvotes
Paris
derass wrote: Why don't you move out, have the renovations done in a month, and then rent it?

I'd be pissed if the landlord made me put up with a big renovation and contractors in the unit everyday.

I’d pay less seeing an apartment that needed renos that were happening soon than seeing a finished place.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18960 posts
6131 upvotes
London
I'm guessing this place was built before Nov 2018 ?
Once OP sets the rent , isnt it going to fall under rent controls ?
So if it has a tenant while it's under construction, the discounted rent falls under rent control, even after renovations are completed and also for subsequent tenants?

It would seem to me it would be better to keep it vacant till renovations are complete. This allows a higher rent under existing rent controls?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
24622 posts
12688 upvotes
Toronto
l69norm wrote: I'm guessing this place was built before Nov 2018 ?
Once OP sets the rent , isnt it going to fall under rent controls ?
So if it has a tenant while it's under construction, the discounted rent falls under rent control, even after renovations are completed and also for subsequent tenants?

It would seem to me it would be better to keep it vacant till renovations are complete. This allows a higher rent under existing rent controls?
The way things fall, that's probably what's going to end up happening if we move between August and October of this year (which there's a probability of happening).
I'll look into what you're talking about, I'm not familiar. Thanks. Old condo, yes.
derass wrote: Why don't you move out, have the renovations done in a month, and then rent it?

I just thought a month would be too optimistic. There's always other issues coming up / delays
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Jul 31, 2017
417 posts
494 upvotes
Toronto
The kind of tenant you'll find who will trade lower rent for living in a shambles, is probably not the type of tenant you want long term