Automotive

Condo dwellers: where do you park your motorcycle?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2010 2:32 pm
Feb 18, 2008
246 posts
13 upvotes
Mississauga

Condo dwellers: where do you park your motorcycle?

Hey peeps,

Just curious...I'm going through some issues with my condo board about parking my bike in my parking spot and they want to force me to pay an extra $50 per month on top of having to buy another key fob (for $75!) which is astronomical.

I think legally (based on property law), you're allowed to put whatever the hell you want in your parking spot but the condo board says that we're not allowed to park the bike in my spot WITH the car and want to force me to rent a proper "motorcycle spot" which isn't even in my building (it's in the building across the street but part of the same complex). Like, I'd have to LEAVE the building and walk outside to get my bike which really isn't a big deal but they fact that they want to charge me $50/month on TOP of my $500+ in maintenance fees, really gets me going.

I'd like to hear where you park and what your condo boards have done to accommodate you as an environmentally friendly commuter. Because clearly, my condo board doesn't give a rats *** about people who care for the environment. (at least, that's the spin I'm putting on it)

Thanks!
25 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18148 upvotes
ONTARIO
What area is this?
Theres always street parking... which is free. As long as you fall within the proper times...
Theres some backstreets that have paid parking from 9-9... then free after... If those are areas without permit restrictions, or rush hour restrictions... perhaps you could get away with parking it on the street.

The draw back is that it puts you at risk for theft and randoms posing/sitting on your bike.
Oct 8, 2006
129 posts
That sucks! Is there a REAL reason why you cannot park your bike in your spot (ie. car/bike is sticking out too much)? If it just cause they want the extra cash I would tell them to go rob somebody on the street. On the bright side $50 a month for a whole parking space is cheap, people rent spaces in my condo for $150+!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6630 posts
964 upvotes
Do you mean an apartment, or like a townhouse on the street?

If its a really nice bike some people make a ramp and park the bike inside their house.

But $50 a month for a spot is cheap, at some other condos to rent a car spot its like $5000 per year (if you have a second car.)
Sep 24, 2005
129 posts
5 upvotes
Edmonton
Check your condo by-law. I see people in my Condo part their bike behind their car... but it all depends on what your by-law says :(
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
pinkcess wrote: Hey peeps,

Just curious...I'm going through some issues with my condo board about parking my bike in my parking spot and they want to force me to pay an extra $50 per month on top of having to buy another key fob (for $75!) which is astronomical.

I think legally (based on property law), you're allowed to put whatever the hell you want in your parking spot but the condo board says that we're not allowed to park the bike in my spot WITH the car and want to force me to rent a proper "motorcycle spot" which isn't even in my building (it's in the building across the street but part of the same complex). Like, I'd have to LEAVE the building and walk outside to get my bike which really isn't a big deal but they fact that they want to charge me $50/month on TOP of my $500+ in maintenance fees, really gets me going.

I'd like to hear where you park and what your condo boards have done to accommodate you as an environmentally friendly commuter. Because clearly, my condo board doesn't give a rats *** about people who care for the environment. (at least, that's the spin I'm putting on it)

Thanks!
That sucks. Looks like a money grab to me. Like they had some extra real estate and wanted to make some money off of it. My condo and every condo I have lived at, you are allowed to park in the same spot with your car (and/or bike). However nothing else can be there. You can't store car parts or seats or tools or anything like that in your spot.

I guess if it's in the rules, it's in the rules. The only recorse you have is making a petition and bringing it up to the condo board and hope they change the rules.

Oh and "environmentally friendly commuter"? Seriously? :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
794 upvotes
North York
Now I understand how the bike is being parked. It is actually sitting outside the parking space. Looks like the bike is parked in the driveway.

This makes the whole parking area look "messy". A condo board does have a responsibility to ensure the everything looks clean. There maybe a safety issue. (ie. kid gets hurt running into bike - as it falls over.)

If you parked the bike infront of the car, and your car did not stick out too far, it would be unlikely they would say anything (ie. not notice).

I for one would not want to be in the spot beside yours and WOULD complain to the condo board. (Sorry.)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 28, 2005
6409 posts
59 upvotes
? Mines at the back of my space, nothing is sticking out of my space whatsoever. Where the cement changes color is the persons spot behind mine.

It's actually funny, my condo has the most absurd rules and regulations, is so stringent, I'm very surprised they allow it. I left a bottle of windshield fluid in my space for 8 hours and got a phone call about it.
Busybuyer888 wrote: Now I understand how the bike is being parked. It is actually sitting outside the parking space. Looks like the bike is parked in the driveway.

This makes the whole parking area look "messy". A condo board does have a responsibility to ensure the everything looks clean. There maybe a safety issue. (ie. kid gets hurt running into bike - as it falls over.)

If you parked the bike infront of the car, and your car did not stick out too far, it would be unlikely they would say anything (ie. not notice).

I for one would not want to be in the spot beside yours and WOULD complain to the condo board. (Sorry.)
-
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
794 upvotes
North York
Spray wrote: ? Mines at the back of my space, nothing is sticking out of my space whatsoever. Where the cement changes color is the persons spot behind mine.

It's actually funny, my condo has the most absurd rules and regulations, is so stringent, I'm very surprised they allow it. I left a bottle of windshield fluid in my space for 8 hours and got a phone call about it.
That is okay, your bike goes in, then the car. You have a nice deep parking spot.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2135 posts
110 upvotes
Regina
I use my detached garage. But it sounds like that isn't an option for you.

I used to be the treasurer for our condo association and there is a few options for you. First, request the condo bylaws. If there is no mention of it in the bylaws your board has to put forward a motion at the next annual general meeting. Then it has to be voted on by condo owners. Then it must be registered with the provincial government. That is what they have to do before they can ask you to move it. Honestly unless it's in the bylaws you can basically tell them to bite the big one.

My condo association is mad at me right now because the kickstand for my bike sinks in the pavement and damages the parking lot. I read the bylaws and nowhere does it states bikes are not allowed, it only speculates that vehicles must be properly maintained and not leaking fluids, which my bike is not.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 28, 2005
6409 posts
59 upvotes
Get one of these, lest your motorcycle topples over. Seriously though, just use a crushed popcan, it's pretty easy to not wreck the nice pavement.

[IMG]http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/fil ... ks%201.jpg[/IMG]
antichrysler wrote: I use my detached garage. But it sounds like that isn't an option for you.

I used to be the treasurer for our condo association and there is a few options for you. First, request the condo bylaws. If there is no mention of it in the bylaws your board has to put forward a motion at the next annual general meeting. Then it has to be voted on by condo owners. Then it must be registered with the provincial government. That is what they have to do before they can ask you to move it. Honestly unless it's in the bylaws you can basically tell them to bite the big one.

My condo association is mad at me right now because the kickstand for my bike sinks in the pavement and damages the parking lot. I read the bylaws and nowhere does it states bikes are not allowed, it only speculates that vehicles must be properly maintained and not leaking fluids, which my bike is not.
-
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2135 posts
110 upvotes
Regina
Spray wrote: Get one of these, lest your motorcycle topples over. Seriously though, just use a crushed popcan, it's pretty easy to not wreck the nice pavement.
Didn't even think of that lol

It's a matter of bitterness now though lol

I honestly don't care if my bike topples over though. It's old and it's very, very, very well insured with government insurance.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
Busybuyer888 wrote: That is okay, your bike goes in, then the car. You have a nice deep parking spot.
Condo parking spots should be big enough to find most large cars like SUVs and flatbeds. And if those can fit, then a mid size car + motorcycle can easily fit within the lines.

Here's my bike within the lines and plenty of space for my car... granted my car isn't all that big (Suzuki Aerio, nearly identical demensions as a Toyota Matrix). On top of that, the yellow lines continue for at least 2' after my bumper.
[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2708/407 ... 7df5_o.jpg[/IMG]
antichrysler wrote: I use my detached garage. But it sounds like that isn't an option for you.

That's some soft pavement... or is it outside? If my pavement was that soft, I use something to disperse the weight. I keep a metalic disc in my tank bag, but Spray's is much cooler! :lol: Last thing I want is for my kickstand to sink in... and get stuck!
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2135 posts
110 upvotes
Regina
joeyjoejoe wrote: That's some soft pavement... or is it outside? If my pavement was that soft, I use something to disperse the weight. I keep a metalic disc in my tank bag, but Spray's is much cooler! :lol: Last thing I want is for my kickstand to sink in... and get stuck!
Parking spot is outside. When we have a nice streak I leave my car in the garage and the bike in my outdoor spot. Vice versa when it's raining or snowing lol
Feb 18, 2008
246 posts
13 upvotes
Mississauga
I am in the Mississauga are across the street from Square One in the Absolute condo.

I've seen people renting their parking spaces for up to $150/month. These motorcycle/scooter spots are smaller spots fit for motorcycles and scooters so it's not like I could use it for my car either. Also, the parking spots for motorcycles/scooters are in the building ACROSS the street in my complex which adds to the inconvenience.

I've read the by law papers and it doesn't say that your parking spot is limited to one motor vehicle. It doesn't address scooters/motorcycles at all.
Also, there are others in the building who park their bike behind their car too however, the parking spaces are very VERY narrow thus making it inconvenient to take our scooters out of the space without having to move the car. There's a Land Rover on one side and an Audi Quattro on the other. We can barely get our doors open when we park as it is.

This is infuriating.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
2135 posts
110 upvotes
Regina
If there's no by-law they can't do anything. Double check with your local parking authorities. Unless you're afraid of pissing off the board tell them to go bite the big one.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 28, 2005
6409 posts
59 upvotes
Yeah if theres no by law I think you're fine.
-
Feb 18, 2008
246 posts
13 upvotes
Mississauga
Spray wrote: A motorcycle unfortunately, is a motor vehicle.
I am well aware of that. What is your point?
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
I don't consider my spot to be narrow, but I wouldn't be able to move my motorcycle between two cars. I'm fortunate in that the girl to the left of me only parks her car in her spot once a month, so I have easy access in and out for my bike. Otherwise, I have to back out my car, wheel out my bike, and put the car back. I think this is just a fact of life for many condo dwelling motorcyclists.