• Mar 11th, 2021 3:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
14725 posts
3741 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Condo and EV Charging

We know it’s coming. It’s just a matter of time. But how does the government expect people who live in a condo to charge their vehicle? It’s not like filling up a car where it only takes a few minutes. My girlfriend’s current condo doesn’t have any EV chargers in their underground parking. Heck it doesn’t even have 120V wall sockets! The retrofit required is going to be crazy expensive and so far, I haven’t seen any plans on how they plan to make this feasible.

Let’s not forget because other countries are forcing EV only sales within the next decade or two, manufacturers have always said they’re going to stop developing ICE. So what’s the plan?
109 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8702 posts
5630 upvotes
Kootenays
New condos will have EV charging either as a feature or it will be mandated by code. Buyers will pay for it. Existing condos will have it mandated and owners will pay for it, recouping the cost when they sell.
Jun 4, 2020
796 posts
730 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Govt will mandate and subsequently fund it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6122 posts
2202 upvotes
Ottawa
I suspect that existing condo buildings might not be expected to retrofit chargers but I think there will be more and more community accessible parking lots with EV charging and that, along with larger batteries and faster charging speed will mean that drivers will be able to own an EV without charging at home (How many people have a gas pump at home?)

At the moment, Canada has committed to ban new gasoline car sales by 2035. That's in 14 years. 10 years ago, there were pretty no EVs on the road so a lot can and will change in the next 5 years, let alone 14 years.
Penalty Box
Mar 28, 2017
508 posts
340 upvotes
I have in stalled a few chargers. It's a nightmare since alot of the panels are full . Some buildings were never design for it or even have any upgrades available. So either the building pony ups and get new panels but that would require more space in the electrical room which most of the time there isn't any. And there will need to be pipe runs to all the units and I'm pretty sure that's code as well.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
2116 posts
795 upvotes
GTA
condo's are run the the residents on the board. If enough want it it will be installed and funded via condo fees.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15946 posts
13830 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Majority of the new pre-con condos have some form of EV charging infrastructure now.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6359 posts
4977 upvotes
michelb wrote: At the moment, Canada has committed to ban new gasoline car sales by 2035. That's in 14 years. 10 years ago, there were pretty no EVs on the road so a lot can and will change in the next 5 years, let alone 14 years.
Hey, BC and Quebec isn't Canada ok? :D

If you are talking about the Fed talking to Biden admin about a NA ban, you think Biden got the clout to do this in the US without inciting more domestic terrorism? They ain't as obedient as Canadians. It's a interesting thought but I think this will go over as well as mandatory vaccine.

And bookmark this post. By 2035, the language will change from ban on gasoline cars to ban cars without electrification. The technology doesn't match what the government mandate timetable.

wackojacko wrote: condo's are run the the residents on the board. If enough want it it will be installed and funded via condo fees.
Yup. That's how it will happen. The government may be able to sweeten the pot but they can't mandate a retrofit.

As for new condo built in Calgary, I have seen some had 5-6 spots for chargers in a underground garage of 400. But I have a feeling that condo life probably subscribed more to public transit and car sharing anyway. So it shouldn't be an urgent issue.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4948 posts
3997 upvotes
geokilla wrote: We know it’s coming. It’s just a matter of time. But how does the government expect people who live in a condo to charge their vehicle? It’s not like filling up a car where it only takes a few minutes. My girlfriend’s current condo doesn’t have any EV chargers in their underground parking. Heck it doesn’t even have 120V wall sockets! The retrofit required is going to be crazy expensive and so far, I haven’t seen any plans on how they plan to make this feasible.

Let’s not forget because other countries are forcing EV only sales within the next decade or two, manufacturers have always said they’re going to stop developing ICE. So what’s the plan?
My mom's condo has ev chargers installed by people for their stalls who drive EVs and my condo has installed a few public ones with PAYG model

And why need to charge it at condo/home? We don't have gas stations in condos/homes . Battery charging tech is evolving with new ones capable of full charge in 5mins. I'm sure this will continue to evolve and improve as many jurisdictions accelerate EVs
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6359 posts
4977 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: And why need to charge it at condo/home? We don't have gas stations in condos/homes . Battery charging tech is evolving with new ones capable of full charge in 5mins. I'm sure this will continue to evolve and improve as many jurisdictions accelerate EVs
When? At would that be on a $30K Civic/CR-V?

As just as much as I don't wanna charge my phone at 35W. I definitely don't want to charge my EV for 5m for 400km range too often until the battery chemistry changes. And I don't see a single promising battery that charges fast and has high mileage in the next decade that's cheap enough to put it in a $30K car.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16020 posts
17275 upvotes
Oakville
geokilla wrote: We know it’s coming. It’s just a matter of time. But how does the government expect people who live in a condo to charge their vehicle? It’s not like filling up a car where it only takes a few minutes. My girlfriend’s current condo doesn’t have any EV chargers in their underground parking. Heck it doesn’t even have 120V wall sockets! The retrofit required is going to be crazy expensive and so far, I haven’t seen any plans on how they plan to make this feasible.

It's not rocket science. If residents demand it, they will pony up the fees to have them installed. Until then, they will need to decide if they want an EV with their current charging situation. In 15 years, I suspect charging/range will be much less of a worry.
If they're desperate, they could run a portable ICE generator to charge their EV, lol.

Also, outright banning ICE cars is wrong way to do it. Better way to incentivize change is to tax the "bad" behaviour. So they should just start increasing the tax on on fuel, with perhaps a luxury tax on expensive ICE cars.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
2084 posts
426 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA

I don't think it is going to be to crazy. Just have to decide how feasible it is in your condo and bring it up to your management.

It was brought up at our Condo and was very feasible for a certain number of residents. The Condo was going to pay for retrofits up the parking garage and then if you wanted it at your garage spot, you had to pony up the $ to have it installed. If I recall correctly it was around $8k-$12K to have it installed.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4738 posts
5831 upvotes
Toronto, ON
wackojacko wrote: condo's are run the the residents on the board. If enough want it it will be installed and funded via condo fees.
I can see the Tesla's in the condo lot are all going to get keyed if they try to push their way to get other residents to pay for their enjoyment.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
2116 posts
795 upvotes
GTA
er34er34 wrote: I can see the Tesla's in the condo lot are all going to get keyed if they try to push their way to get other residents to pay for their enjoyment.
sure, if you believe the condo board is a dictatorship :) the condo board could offer it, paid by the parking spot owner. Really if things keep going as they are in 20 years no one will be driving a gasoline car so all the Condo owners will need an ability to charge.

But my point was it's up to the board to decide, they have several options. could have dedicated spots that are PAYG or who wants it pays for install. I've read of examples that the Charger is paid for by spot owner and on a separate meter.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6122 posts
2202 upvotes
Ottawa
Xtrema wrote: Hey, BC and Quebec isn't Canada ok? :D

If you are talking about the Fed talking to Biden admin about a NA ban, you think Biden got the clout to do this in the US without inciting more domestic terrorism? They ain't as obedient as Canadians. It's a interesting thought but I think this will go over as well as mandatory vaccine.

And bookmark this post. By 2035, the language will change from ban on gasoline cars to ban cars without electrification. The technology doesn't match what the government mandate timetable.

You're right. I mixed up the years. BC and QC said 2035, Canada said 2040 for 100% zero-emission but that's just a target so who knows if they'll follow through

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/envir ... sions.html
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6359 posts
4977 upvotes
engineered wrote: Also, outright banning ICE cars is wrong way to do it. Better way to incentivize change is to tax the "bad" behaviour. So they should just start increasing the tax on on fuel, with perhaps a luxury tax on expensive ICE cars.
Don't tax fuel, Put 25% HST on all cars and make EV 0%. Norway get 1/2 the people buying EVs that way.

Taxing fuel also won't work. It's like carbon tax, eventually it'll be absorbed and no behavior will change.
michelb wrote: You're right. I mixed up the years. BC and QC said 2035, Canada said 2040 for 100% zero-emission but that's just a target so who knows if they'll follow through

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/envir ... sions.html
I think it's very popular among young voters. But how people vote and the engineering reality is totally different. For the next decade, if we make enough of it, we will be dealing with Li-Ion battery for EVs which means we are dealing with all the pros and cons of this chemistry. And if lucky, we may have SSB cheap enough by 2035 to replace Li-Ion when this mandate is here.

But nobody has figure out long haul trucking yet. And even short haul has not seen much BEVs (although they are probably the best case for it). There is no way those will make it by 2035 which means trucks will get some sort of exemption. And I'm also sure by 2035, all major trucks will be at least hybrid if on PHEV, so they will get a pass.
Last edited by Xtrema on Jan 25th, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
2116 posts
795 upvotes
GTA
Xtrema wrote: Don't tax fuel, Put 25% HST on all cars and make EV 0%. Norway get 1/2 the people buying EVs that way.

Taxing fuel also won't work. It's like carbon tax, eventually it'll be absorbed and no behavior will change.
The fuel tax though taxes use, so little old lady driving 4K a year (maybe my mom lol) pay a little but joe commuter driving 40K a year pays a lot. when the TCO is more for an ICE than EV people will switch. Right now it's not there for all vehicle classes/size. Soon.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6359 posts
4977 upvotes
wackojacko wrote: The fuel tax though taxes use, so little old lady driving 4K a year (maybe my mom lol) pay a little but joe commuter driving 40K a year pays a lot. when the TCO is more for an ICE than EV people will switch. Right now it's not there for all vehicle classes/size. Soon.
What's a lot tho? $1/L of fuel tax will amount to $2000/year for most consumers. If it's a business, they will just pass the cost down the line. If it's personal, It's still tough for someone to ditch $30K Civic for $50K Model 3. Even if you can make up the difference in 5 years.