• Apr 18th, 2019 12:14 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2016
1149 posts
908 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Condo got flooded by upstairs unit - tips and advice needed plz

So my condo has got a major flood by the water coming from upstairs. The people upstairs were not forward what happened, so the condo management had to get a plumber to try to find the "leak" in an emergency fashion.

The plumber made a lot of holes in walls (both units) and found nothing, but found a lot of water underneath their dishwasher and lots of rags around it so all signs point to the source of water from their unit. If they had been forward, there would be no need to open up the walls.

It seems pretty clear the origin of water was from their unit.

I want to know what steps I should follow to get compensation to fix damage.

The damage is my laminate flooring throughout the room, living room, and the walls.

Thanks and stay dry!!
56 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
10707 posts
5437 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Contact Insurance.
WinterSleep wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 3:43 pm
So my condo has got a major flood by the water coming from upstairs. The people upstairs were not forward what happened, so the condo management had to get a plumber to try to find the "leak" in an emergency fashion.

The plumber made a lot of holes in walls (both units) and found nothing, but found a lot of water underneath their dishwasher and lots of rags around it so all signs point to the source of water from their unit. If they had been forward, there would be no need to open up the walls.

It seems pretty clear the origin of water was from their unit.

I want to know what steps I should follow to get compensation to fix damage.

The damage is my laminate flooring throughout the room, living room, and the walls.

Thanks and stay dry!!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Nov 5, 2009
117 posts
76 upvotes
it's actually the condo boards responsibility to fix and address. Either the boards insurance or the board themself. As it's not a major flood odds are the board will fix it all up and charge back the owner.

There is no insurance to get involved in this case.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2016
1149 posts
908 upvotes
Toronto, ON
gwill211 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 3:55 pm
it's actually the condo boards responsibility to fix and address. Either the boards insurance or the board themself. As it's not a major flood odds are the board will fix it all up and charge back the owner.

There is no insurance to get involved in this case.
Yes, thanks. Insurance deductible is 2k already, more than the cost probably. Not to mention future increases!
Dec 17, 2018
16 posts
5 upvotes
What gwill said.
No need to contact your insurance.

Management will get an approved contractor to fix the damage and then bill the upstairs owner.

All you have to do is follow up with your management office.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6475 posts
3651 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I don't know why someone said you don't need to contact your insurer. You absolutely do. We had a similar situation (our dishwasher line broke) and water got into the next door unit (was a condo townhouse in Victoria, BC). The strata would not cover it as it was nothing to do with them. Both owners (us and the neighbours) had to contact our insurers and they dealt with the issue.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
2148 posts
1478 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 5:33 pm
I don't know why someone said you don't need to contact your insurer. You absolutely do. We had a similar situation (our dishwasher line broke) and water got into the next door unit (was a condo townhouse in Victoria, BC). The strata would not cover it as it was nothing to do with them. Both owners (us and the neighbours) had to contact our insurers and they dealt with the issue.
I agree. I would think that the condo corp is only responsible for common property - anything else will be OP's responsibility. Time to get out the bylaws and see who is responsible for what.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
5777 posts
5451 upvotes
Toronto
WinterSleep wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 4:04 pm
Yes, thanks. Insurance deductible is 2k already, more than the cost probably. Not to mention future increases!
To be fair if you had gotten a more comprehensive policy with a lower deductible you would pay more monthly. So now you are just paying what you didn't before in higher monthly payments.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2016
1149 posts
908 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mazerbeaner wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 6:02 pm
To be fair if you had gotten a more comprehensive policy with a lower deductible you would pay more monthly. So now you are just paying what you didn't before in higher monthly payments.
This makes no sense. The issue was not my fault so it is not at all my responsibility to be contacting my insurance or pay deductible or anything.

I expect to sue offending party to get compensation.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6475 posts
3651 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
WinterSleep wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 6:16 pm
This makes no sense. The issue was not my fault so it is not at all my responsibility to be contacting my insurance or pay deductible or anything.

It doesn't matter if it was your fault. You are dead wrong if younthink it is not your responsibility to contact your insurer. You must contact your insurer and then the two insurers (yours and your upstairs neighbour's) will figure it out.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2016
1149 posts
908 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Chickinvic wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 6:55 pm
It doesn't matter if it was your fault. You are dead wrong if younthink it is not your responsibility to contact your insurer. You must contact your insurer and then the two insurers (yours and your upstairs neighbour's) will figure it out.
Ok, let's say I don't have insurance. Then what?
Nov 5, 2009
117 posts
76 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 6:55 pm
You dont understand how condos work nor the responsibility of the board. The board had a contractor involved already to determine the source of the flood. As they opened up the walls they will now have to fix it.

They will charge it all back to the original owner who can then make an insurance claim to pay the board back. This is how it will get addressed.

The OP did nothing wrong and did not cause the flood. His insurance would tell him to deal with the board.
Nov 5, 2009
117 posts
76 upvotes
WinterSleep wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 6:16 pm

Ignore that other poster. She/he doesn't understand the situation or condo living. In regards to sueing you wont be out of pocket for anything so you dont really have much to sue for.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2016
1149 posts
908 upvotes
Toronto, ON
gwill211 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 7:38 pm
Ignore that other poster. She/he doesn't understand the situation or condo living. In regards to sueing you wont be out of pocket for anything so you dont really have much to sue for.
Thanks for the reassuring words, I am happy to see wise advice being given out. I'll update you as to what happens.