Real Estate

Condo Insurance, anything better than Kanetix?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2016 7:09 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11895 posts
1714 upvotes

Condo Insurance, anything better than Kanetix?

Hi,

Shopping for condo insurance for my Toronto condo, first home. Got some quotes on Kanetix (well, I'm a bit unsure how to answer some questions like what type of heating my building uses so I guessed).

The two cheapest rates were for Gore Mutual and Square One Insurance, both required me to call in to get the quote. Will call later in the week, but anyone have a better idea? Get an insurance broker to deal with this instead? Anyone can recommend one in Toronto?
5 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20200 posts
4746 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
TD Insurance and Atrens Counsel are not on Kanetix.

Edit (2016): I actually had to use the Atrens Counsel insurance and had a big problem with the underwriter, RSA. I will never again use insurance underwritten by RSA.
- casual gastronomist -
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11895 posts
1714 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: TD Insurance and Atrens Counsel are not on Kanetix.
Just to update, TD Insurance is on kanetix. it shows up when I did a quote.

Still haven't bought insurance yet, I was stupidly putting it off. Gotta get it asap.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
2416 posts
888 upvotes
Burnaby
Online quotes are almost never accurate though unless your are sticking with basic coverage even if you were to use the TD online quote, better to call them and ask. If you have an affiliation that may also save you some money, ie University alumni. Add-ons or bump ups in coverage are where the cost tends to balloon and it varies by insurer so make sure you are getting what you want in your coverage as opposed to going with a lower price which includes things that aren't important for you.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11895 posts
1714 upvotes
Ended up buying it last night from Square One insurance, because they had the option to buy it online after filling out a more thorough questionnaire. very basic coverage is all I needed, came out to under $20/month.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2014
1069 posts
410 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
slowtyper wrote: Ended up buying it last night from Square One insurance, because they had the option to buy it online after filling out a more thorough questionnaire. very basic coverage is all I needed, came out to under $20/month.
You mean you obtained your insurance through the Mutual Fire Insurance Company of British Columbia. Did you check the policy wordings?