• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2017 9:02 pm
[OP]
Nov 21, 2009
42 posts
1 upvote
North York

Condo Network Panel - Need help

I am trying to figure out my next steps to achieve home networking in my condo.

Attached are some photos.

The Bell lines come into the unit from the bottom via a black line (with four coloured wires), and a white wire (optic).
Rogers comes in from the bottom right, but some RG6 cables are cut.

The ethernet jacks in the rooms are RJ45 with cat5e connections, except for one in the office (picture attached).

I am guessing I need a patch panel to terminate all the lines to, connect those to a ethernet switch, switch to modem, modem to router.
Is that correct?

One more question, the wall where I want my entertainment unit on has outlet for RG6 only, how difficult is it to fish cat5e wire through the condo conduits, and have keystone plate with RG6 and RJ45 jack?

Thanks in Advance!
Images
  • DSC_0117.jpg
  • DSC_0105.jpg
  • DSC_0106.jpg
  • DSC_0118.jpg
10 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33221 posts
6884 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
How many Ethernet jacks do you have? I only see 3 cables and it is terminated to bix.

You can get an 8 port CAT5e bix and insert it in the bracket. That could be your patch panel. You need one snap and seal connector and a joiner for the cut RG6 cable.

If you only have 3 drops, you don't need a switch. Just use the Home Hub 3000, it includes 4 ports.

If you want a CAT5 jack at the television, I would tie or tape the cable to the existing RG6 and try to pull it back to the demarc. Pull lots of extra CAT5 cable out, then tape the RG6 cable further up the CAT5 cable and pull it back up. This is assuming that there are no staples or bends in the cable which I doubt. If you want to fish a new cable, I would need to see a layout of the condo and the distance from the television to the demarc.
[OP]
Nov 21, 2009
42 posts
1 upvote
North York
Gee wrote: How many Ethernet jacks do you have? I only see 3 cables and it is terminated to bix.

You can get an 8 port CAT5e bix and insert it in the bracket. That could be your patch panel. You need one snap and seal connector and a joiner for the cut RG6 cable.
Once again, thanks Gee!

Yes, only have 3 jacks.
Will I need a punch down tool to connect wires to the CAT5e bix?
I will be going with CarryTel FTTN50 (Technicolor TG588v).

So for internet connection, it will go like this:
Line in from Network Panel => WAN of TG588V
TG588V LAN x3 ==> using patch cable x3 ==> CAT5e bix
CAT5e bix ==> Keystone jack/plate
Thus, able to add router at any of the keystone jacks.

Is that correct?

Any recommendations on where to get CAT5e bix and snap and seal connectors and joiner? for a RFD price?
Probably get a 2 way splitter for RG6 to watch OTA on 2 TVs with 1 antenna only.

TIA

EDIT:
I'll probably need new keystone jack/plate due to office connector (pictured, doesn't look like RJ45).
Additional keystone jack and plate (with RG6 and RJ45).

So, I would need CAT5e bix, patch cables, punch down tool (for bix wiring), keystone jack, plates (RJ45, RJ45 + RG6), CAT5e cable (tape to RG6 as you described).

I hope I'm on the right track!
Images
  • DSC_0127.jpg
  • DSC_0128.jpg
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
474 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Just to run through what you have now:

You have 3 runs of cat5 around your place.
They all end up back in this box and punched down onto a BIX block.
That BIX block is jumpered to work as a telephone hub, meaning all the lines are in parallel.

If you wish to use them for ethernet you need to terminate them on the room side with an ethernet jack and on the closet side with an RJ45 male.
Ignore the BIX block, it will not be useful for this unless you are doing telephone line stuff.
Plug the RJ45 ends in the closet into your modem/router. You do not need a patch panel, would be overkill for this sort of situation.

You need:
cat5e keystone jacks
wall plates for the keystones
110 punch tool for the keystone jacks (unless you get the crappy tooless ones, please don't)
RJ45 male connectors
Crimp tool for the male connectors
A wire guide for doing 568A (or B) connections
Perferably a test tool, but just plugging in and seeing if they work should suffice
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33221 posts
6884 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
krazygimp wrote: Yes, only have 3 jacks.
Will I need a punch down tool to connect wires to the CAT5e bix?
I will be going with CarryTel FTTN50 (Technicolor TG588v).
You need a bix punch down. It looks like this.
-600-crop-025-6002 A0270165 Belden Bix Punch Tool.JPG

This is what the bix CAT5 looks like
NWT-46DI.jpg
krazygimp wrote: So for internet connection, it will go like this:
Line in from Network Panel => WAN of TG588V
TG588V LAN x3 ==> using patch cable x3 ==> CAT5e bix
CAT5e bix ==> Keystone jack/plate
Thus, able to add router at any of the keystone jacks.

Is that correct?
You don't need a router. The TG588v is a router. It will provide NAT for the entire network
krazygimp wrote: Any recommendations on where to get CAT5e bix and snap and seal connectors and joiner? for a RFD price?
Probably get a 2 way splitter for RG6 to watch OTA on 2 TVs with 1 antenna only.

TIA

EDIT:
I'll probably need new keystone jack/plate due to office connector (pictured, doesn't look like RJ45).
Additional keystone jack and plate (with RG6 and RJ45).

So, I would need CAT5e bix, patch cables, punch down tool (for bix wiring), keystone jack, plates (RJ45, RJ45 + RG6), CAT5e cable (tape to RG6 as you described).
I actually have a bix punch down. I have the snap and seals and the female connector to join the two RG6 cables. I recommend you buy Belden jacks and plates. You can buy all this stuff at Nedco.

I can give you a snap and seal and the female connectors to join the cables. Just use electrical tape when fishing the wire back.

[OP]
Nov 21, 2009
42 posts
1 upvote
North York
BuildingHomes wrote: Just to run through what you have now:

You have 3 runs of cat5 around your place.
They all end up back in this box and punched down onto a BIX block.
That BIX block is jumpered to work as a telephone hub, meaning all the lines are in parallel.

If you wish to use them for ethernet you need to terminate them on the room side with an ethernet jack and on the closet side with an RJ45 male.
Ignore the BIX block, it will not be useful for this unless you are doing telephone line stuff.
Plug the RJ45 ends in the closet into your modem/router. You do not need a patch panel, would be overkill for this sort of situation.

You need:
cat5e keystone jacks
wall plates for the keystones
110 punch tool for the keystone jacks (unless you get the crappy tooless ones, please don't)
RJ45 male connectors
Crimp tool for the male connectors
A wire guide for doing 568A (or B) connections
Perferably a test tool, but just plugging in and seeing if they work should suffice
This sounds like the most cost effective method, 110 punch tool and crimp tool being the only real expenses (however much they may be).
Where do you recommend I get the required parts from?

I looked at Nedco site, as Gee recommended, but no pricing.

I am guessing that this method is not as neat looking as what Gee suggested.
[OP]
Nov 21, 2009
42 posts
1 upvote
North York
Gee wrote:
You don't need a router. The TG588v is a router. It will provide NAT for the entire network

I actually have a bix punch down. I have the snap and seals and the female connector to join the two RG6 cables. I recommend you buy Belden jacks and plates. You can buy all this stuff at Nedco.

I can give you a snap and seal and the female connectors to join the cables. Just use electrical tape when fishing the wire back.
Ah, the other router will be for the living room with multiple devices and wifi. The TG588v wifi signal will be too distorted...... but then.... double NAT issue! Grrr!!

The BIX Cat5 goes for $100; Coax needs a stripping tool($?), plus the Snap'N'Seal's need compressing tool ($$?).
I believe I have access to 110 punch, but that is about it.

Don't really want to spend on tools that I will only use once or twice.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33221 posts
6884 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
krazygimp wrote: Ah, the other router will be for the living room with multiple devices and wifi. The TG588v wifi signal will be too distorted...... but then.... double NAT issue! Grrr!!

The BIX Cat5 goes for $100; Coax needs a stripping tool($?), plus the Snap'N'Seal's need compressing tool ($$?).
I believe I have access to 110 punch, but that is about it.

Don't really want to spend on tools that I will only use once or twice.
I think the WiFi signal should be fine, unless you live in a 2500 sq foot condo. All you need is a 5 port switch in the room that requires multiple Ethernet ports. If you insist on using a second router, disable DHCP on the router to avoid double NAT

I have a bix tool, compression tool for the snap and seal and a wire stripper for the coax which I can loan you for the install. Otherwise, you can use a small slotted screw driver to punch down onto the bix but you have to be careful to not cut the wire.

Here is what you need to buy. Costs are approx including tax

$10 - Belden CAT6a jacks
$7 - Belden face plate
$100 - Bix CAT5
$5 - Thomas & Betts snap and seal compression connector
$1 - Female RG6 connector

If you want to cheap out

$2 - Keystone jacks
$1 - Keystone face plate
$0.50 - RJ45 male connectors
$1 - F connector for RG6

That will get the job done, but the cheap stuff is prone to signal leaks and not reliable. I personally hate generic keystone jacks. If you can't afford to buy Belden or Panduit, then buy Leviton for half the price.

The bix is expensive, but you already have the mount on the wall. You can completely remove it and use a patch panel, but it will be bigger and bulkier and you still need a mount. It should cost you $50 for a smaller patch panel and mount. But that probably uses cheap keystone jacks.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
474 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Why do you need the BIX block? It really just gets in the way and adds an extra level of complication.
Terminate each cat5 connection to an RJ45 style and plug it directly into your network modem/router/switch box.

Save yourself the $100.

Nedco isn't for your average person to walk in and buy stuff.
If you are in the GTA just find a Sayal store or any other electronics surplus store and you can buy all of these things right off the shelf.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
[OP]
Nov 21, 2009
42 posts
1 upvote
North York
Gee wrote: I think the WiFi signal should be fine, unless you live in a 2500 sq foot condo. All you need is a 5 port switch in the room that requires multiple Ethernet ports. If you insist on using a second router, disable DHCP on the router to avoid double NAT

I have a bix tool, compression tool for the snap and seal and a wire stripper for the coax which I can loan you for the install. Otherwise, you can use a small slotted screw driver to punch down onto the bix but you have to be careful to not cut the wire.

Here is what you need to buy. Costs are approx including tax

$10 - Belden CAT6a jacks
$7 - Belden face plate
$100 - Bix CAT5
$5 - Thomas & Betts snap and seal compression connector
$1 - Female RG6 connector

If you want to cheap out

$2 - Keystone jacks
$1 - Keystone face plate
$0.50 - RJ45 male connectors
$1 - F connector for RG6

That will get the job done, but the cheap stuff is prone to signal leaks and not reliable. I personally hate generic keystone jacks. If you can't afford to buy Belden or Panduit, then buy Leviton for half the price.

The bix is expensive, but you already have the mount on the wall. You can completely remove it and use a patch panel, but it will be bigger and bulkier and you still need a mount. It should cost you $50 for a smaller patch panel and mount. But that probably uses cheap keystone jacks.
You have been more than helpful, I cannot impose and borrow your tools as well.
Thank you for all the info!
[OP]
Nov 21, 2009
42 posts
1 upvote
North York
BuildingHomes wrote: Why do you need the BIX block? It really just gets in the way and adds an extra level of complication.
Terminate each cat5 connection to an RJ45 style and plug it directly into your network modem/router/switch box.

Save yourself the $100.

Nedco isn't for your average person to walk in and buy stuff.
If you are in the GTA just find a Sayal store or any other electronics surplus store and you can buy all of these things right off the shelf.
Thanks for all your help.
Will drop by Sayal when I get the chance.