• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2020 3:15 pm
[OP]
Jan 8, 2013
56 posts
5 upvotes
OAKVILLE

Condo town house - children cant ride bike anymore

We live in a small condo townhouse complex, about 16 townhouses only, it has small road with no traffic. We are the only family with a 9 and a 10 year old. All other kids are either todlers or gone to college.

Kids this age love to ride their bike, roller blade and just run around. Once or twice a week, their school friends or cousins come out with their bikes as we want them to keep a social distance and they bike around as long as they don't play contact sports, but never more than 4 kids total

Out of the blue, a notice is distributed by management that kids are not permitted to ride their bikes or roller blade outside the house. This seems rather harsh in this covid lockdown as kids can't go to park or meet their friends any other way, this is their only outdoors activity under the circumstance.

Further, ours being the only kid this age group, it feels quite directed towards these kids. Not only that, we are clear visible minority with just one other minority family in this complex. I can't help but wonder if these kids were Caucasian with blue eyes, would such a notice ever be floated, maybe I am being over sensitive, but the neighbor next door has expressed racially motivated taunts before. We simply choose to ignore it. We have even seen her scream at our kids and have told her not to talk to them and let us know if any concerns.

Admittedly the kids are as noisy as you would find in a cheerful playground, clearly someone is not happy in the complex. However, this seems rather insensitive and lacking empathy.

Do we have any options here to get the kids back on their bikes?
26 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9961 upvotes
Edmonton
Do you rent, or do you own the unit?

I would ask to see the rules that are being violated, as a start.

On the other hand, roads aren't really good play areas for kids. Cause, you know, cars...

C
[OP]
Jan 8, 2013
56 posts
5 upvotes
OAKVILLE
We own. This road only sees local traffic of the houses on the street.

Anyhow, going to talk to the president today.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9961 upvotes
Edmonton
hkazmi wrote: We own. This road only sees local traffic of the houses on the street.

There's still cars on the road. All it takes is one person not watching for kids while backing out of their driveway to cause an incident that everyone will regret.

Again though... Especially since you own, I would ask the president for a copy of the strata bylaws so you can see what rule is being broken. If there's nothing that's been voted on and accepted by the condo, then there's nothing the condo board can do. If there is a rule in effect, then your recourse is to try to get a change implemented. They can't implement fines without there being a bylaw in place to support that. IMHO, and IANAL.

C
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6575 posts
3726 upvotes
Toronto
hkazmi wrote: We own. This road only sees local traffic of the houses on the street.

I'm guessing that the street is not a public road but belongs to the development?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7598 posts
1676 upvotes
Scarborough
Welcome to canada.
Where 1 complainer spoils it for everyone
People just cant tolerate others in this country

So many stupid condo rules but they love your money always, with no accountability
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1487 posts
1018 upvotes
Ripley
apnayloags wrote: Welcome to canada.
Where 1 complainer spoils it for everyone
People just cant tolerate others in this country

So many stupid condo rules but they love your money always, with no accountability
Or don't live in a condo if you don't want to follow the rules???
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4582 posts
1825 upvotes
GTA
If it's clearly spelled out in the condo rules somewhere that this cannot occur then unfortunately there's nothing you can do. You are responsible for following the rules of that condo corp.

It's too bad though, kids need an outlet right now and take one away like that sucks.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7178 posts
6351 upvotes
hkazmi wrote: We live in a small condo townhouse complex, about 16 townhouses only, it has small road with no traffic. We are the only family with a 9 and a 10 year old. All other kids are either todlers or gone to college.

Kids this age love to ride their bike, roller blade and just run around. Once or twice a week, their school friends or cousins come out with their bikes as we want them to keep a social distance and they bike around as long as they don't play contact sports, but never more than 4 kids total

Out of the blue, a notice is distributed by management that kids are not permitted to ride their bikes or roller blade outside the house. This seems rather harsh in this covid lockdown as kids can't go to park or meet their friends any other way, this is their only outdoors activity under the circumstance.

Further, ours being the only kid this age group, it feels quite directed towards these kids. Not only that, we are clear visible minority with just one other minority family in this complex. I can't help but wonder if these kids were Caucasian with blue eyes, would such a notice ever be floated, maybe I am being over sensitive, but the neighbor next door has expressed racially motivated taunts before. We simply choose to ignore it. We have even seen her scream at our kids and have told her not to talk to them and let us know if any concerns.

Admittedly the kids are as noisy as you would find in a cheerful playground, clearly someone is not happy in the complex. However, this seems rather insensitive and lacking empathy.

why not just bike on the public road/sidealk that your condo road will connect to?
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7458 posts
4077 upvotes
Debtario
Sucks for the kids, but liabilities haven't changed due to COVID. It's still a huge safety issue on paper and the board is likely covering their ass. Regardless of traffic there's always plenty of potential for tragedy when you get kids on the roads - add bikes and roller blades to the mix and it gets worse. That's on top of the usual risks like careless, distracted, impaired drivers and modern cars with huge blind spots.

As mentioned, you need to check what specific rules are in force. Otherwise, you may need to pack up the family for excursions into more open areas.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5023 posts
1570 upvotes
Richmond Hill
CNeufeld wrote: ... Especially since you own, I would ask the president for a copy of the strata bylaws so you can see what rule is being broken. If there's nothing that's been voted on and accepted by the condo, then there's nothing the condo board can do. If there is a rule in effect, then your recourse is to try to get a change implemented. They can't implement fines without there being a bylaw in place to support that. IMHO, and IANAL.
+1
"Buy now, think later. This is the way."
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16883 posts
14485 upvotes
GTA, ON
The fact that there was a notice by management tells us that you are not Freehold but in fact are a Condominium. This means, as you said, is only open to local traffic, which in turns means it's NOT a public road, but in fact a PRIVATE road/driveway. As such, you have to follow the rules of the condominium. I suppose there is liability if something were to happen, and they don't want to be associated with such risk.

I feel sorry about the situation, but your best course of action is to just bring the kids to a local public park.

I bring my kids in the evening to ride their bikes around the parking lot of the local church or the parking lot of the nearby elementary school, but I know, if either the church or the school board were to put up a sign that said no trespassing, then that would be their right and I would have to abide.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
3779 posts
2340 upvotes
Ottawa
hkazmi wrote: We live in a small condo townhouse complex, about 16 townhouses only, it has small road with no traffic. We are the only family with a 9 and a 10 year old. All other kids are either todlers or gone to college.

my 2 cents:

I would try and come to a compromise. The racism card could quickly scare them so is worth considering especially if you think that is a factor which especially if your kids look older it could be.On the other hand it will permanently poison the relationship with anyone so accused.

Is this a new rule? Why? Maybe it's too late for some who have toddlers? Maybe older people are trying to sleep or are scared of hitting them. Personally a good compromise could be only between 10 and 4 or something like that. This mostly limits it to weekends. If you want to build support you could talk to the toddler parents who should realize they will soon also be looking for a place to bike.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7178 posts
6351 upvotes
The_Professor wrote: If it's clearly spelled out in the condo rules somewhere that this cannot occur then unfortunately there's nothing you can do. You are responsible for following the rules of that condo corp.

It's too bad though, kids need an outlet right now and take one away like that sucks.
I doubt the condo rules will explicitly say the condo road is for motor vehicles only, but also doubt it says that the road can be used as an extended playspace by residents and/or their guests. As it is a common area, the condo corp can determine what is permissible or not on it. Much like they can say, you can't bbq out in the middle of the road or in common areas like a balcony in the case of a high rise
chimaican wrote: The fact that there was a notice by management tells us that you are not Freehold but in fact are a Condominium. This means, as you said, is only open to local traffic, which in turns means it's NOT a public road, but in fact a PRIVATE road/driveway. As such, you have to follow the rules of the condominium. I suppose there is liability if something were to happen, and they don't want to be associated with such risk.

I feel sorry about the situation, but your best course of action is to just bring the kids to a local public park.

I bring my kids in the evening to ride their bikes around the parking lot of the local church or the parking lot of the nearby elementary school, but I know, if either the church or the school board were to put up a sign that said no trespassing, then that would be their right and I would have to abide.
exactly, even if it was a public road, doesn't mean it's free for people and their kids to use as a playground.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2003
1436 posts
376 upvotes
Ottawa
It’s private property so basically management can do what they want, don’t want to obey it then move... Race or no race card.

Since you already mentioned your kids were “as noisy as you would find in a cheerful playground,” then we can assume someone complained. Condo townhouses are so close to each other, just because noise “your” kids are making are acceptable to you, doesn’t mean it is for the 80yr old senior or newly parents with infants trying to nap.

Unless your in the middle of nowhere, how hard is it to take your kids somewhere else to bike.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10118 posts
977 upvotes
Toronto
Kids all over are biking and having fun my neighbourhood, thime to move somewhere more kid friendly
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4909 posts
513 upvotes
GTA
Hard to believe there is no park nearby ?
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12811 posts
2915 upvotes
Toronto
There were a slew of incidents where it was happening to white kids playing street hockey. Except cops were being called on them. So white people were being racist against their own kind I guess Winking Face

How old are the kids? I find parents confine their kids too much today. When i was in grade 2-3, we were biking all over the place independently.