• Last Updated:
  • Apr 5th, 2019 4:14 pm
[OP]
Apr 3, 2019
1 posts

Condo Water Leak

I have a condo which I rent out in Mississauga, Ontario. My tenant, along with the condo management contacted me regarding flooding in the unit below mine. I arrived at my condo to take a look at the damage in my unit and found that there was no water damage or even spilled water in my unit. The only damage to my unit was a hole in the dry wall which the management made. I went down to the unit below me, and the tenant there let me take a look at the damage which was caused. There was a large amount of water in the carpet of the unit, and the tenant showed me a video of the water leaking from the wall - it was like a faucet was sputtering water out of the wall. The only thing that confused me is that there was absolutely no water damage along the wall or ceiling of the unit. I don't really understand how my unit could leak into the unit below without causing any damage anywhere except for the floor of the lower unit...

The next day, I went to meet with the management and was told that they know that the leak was from my unit due to a hairline crack which did not have grout. My first thoughts were that such a small crack could not cause anywhere near the water flow which was shown to me, but the management would not hear me out insisting that I was not a plumber and could not know how water flows.

Fast forward to today, I received an email saying that all incurred damages and future damages will be charged back to me as the leak is completely my fault. The problem I have now is that I called a plumber to take a look at my unit, and was told that there were no signs of water leaking into the unit below me at all. If he found that the leak was from my unit I would have no problems with covering the repairs of the other unit, but from what I have been told this is not something that is caused by me...
I do not know how to proceed with the management as they are stubbornly telling me this is completely my fault and therefore my responsibility to cover the repairs.

Any help with how I should go forward with this would be greatly appreciated!
8 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10336 posts
9518 upvotes
Oakville
Photos?
Is there a dispute process with your condo board?
Glad I never bought a condo headache.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1588 posts
955 upvotes
Have you contacted your home insurance (assuming you have it)? This is one of those times it may help to have a good lawyer and other professionals in your corner.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4127 posts
1424 upvotes
Call your insurance company
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5912 posts
1554 upvotes
Whitby
As Red Army says, notify your insurance immediately. Tell them in writing the plumber you hired clearly states water is not leaking from your unit to the condo below, that the source of water is not from your condo. Put in writing there was water flowing in video you were shown, that the amount of water is clearly not from a slow leak through grout.
First contact the condo below and get that video sent to you, be friendly-tell him you don't want a repeat in future so want to show your plumber to ensure proper repair is made.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24055 posts
1341 upvotes
Markham, ON
i hope OP bought home insurance...many owner dont know to buy home insurance when they live in a condo lol
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
23227 posts
8182 upvotes
Toronto
suppose the condo management have since located and fixed the leak, then they would know exactly where it came from and should have shown you their findings in either pics or video as proof. If they have given zero proof and sent you a threatening letter, then they are just bullying you around.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4127 posts
1424 upvotes
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Apr 5th, 2019 9:01 am
i hope OP bought home insurance...many owner dont know to buy home insurance when they live in a condo lol
Unless you live mortgage free which isn’t very common you are required homeowners insurance.

It’s rental insurance that most renters don’t know that they should have but is not required
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide