• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2009 2:02 pm
Jan 22, 2009
366 posts

condo window


Im a first-time landlord of a brand new condo suite in Toronto (tridel built). I just visited my tenants, and they showed me a crack (about 6 inches) in one of the bedroom windows. There is no damage to the exterior side of the window, only the inside.

The tenants are telling me that when it is windy, the condo starts to shake violently and it gets very loud -- being that it is a corner unit. Their explanation is that the wind/debris somehow impacted the window (ie. resonance of the vibrations). I feel partly insane for even entertaining that this is possible, but is it ?

How expensive is it to repair this type of thing ? Does the whole window have to be replaced, or can they repair it like a car windshield ?

Being a landlord sucks so far -- was always afraid something like this might happen. Im going through a tough time right now, and I just cant afford to take the hit if they dont.

Id appreciate any advice/guidance. Thanks guys.
4 replies
Apr 4, 2006
425 posts
I had the same thing happen to our condo window about a month after we first moved in. I contacted the builder/developer and they sent someone to look at it. At first, they were hesitant to replace the window and sorta looked at us as if we were at fault(this was also an inside pane). But I know that nothing hit that window in the den and it was not from the wind.

anyway, they replaced it and the window installer told me that there was a chip at the very edge of the window and it just started to crack perhaps from sudden temperature change.

Perhaps you can talk to your builder if this is a new condo.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 18, 2005
18996 posts
Gidget wrote: Hi,
Perhaps you can talk to your builder if this is a new condo.
Not a bad idea, but this is an uphill battle because the damage is on the inside. They may argue that since it's on the inside the damage is considered part of the unit and therefore not covered under the corp's insurance policy. You may have to do it yourself or file under your own insurance.

On the other hand, if the damage originated on the outside (from a bird hitting it or whatever,) the corp's insurance probably will cover it since the outside is considered to be a common element.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 26, 2008
2474 posts
Is the glass chipped where the crack is? If there is no chip then you have to give your tenants the benefit of the doubt as mother nature can work in mysterious ways. I had the same thing happen in my old condo and the crack looked like it originated from inside. My builder replaced the window with no questions asked.
Jr. Member
Feb 2, 2006
118 posts
thanks for your responses guys.

I'm glad I learned that this type of thing can happen on its own. Hopefully the builder will help me out with this.