Condos and Insurance

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2020 10:41 pm
[OP]
Jun 7, 2017
136 posts
112 upvotes

Condos and Insurance

Hi, I recently had an issue with my Condo. I own my Condo unit and a couple weeks ago A fire sprinkler pipe burst in the roof of my Condo unit causing Damage. The Sprinkler Pipe is listed as Common Property.

The Condo corp is replacing the Floors, Walls, Roof. My Insurance is covering the Contents. I have a $1,000 deductible and asked the Condo board to pay it which they refuse. Would they not have to pay the deductible as it is Common Property (Sprinkler line) that burst and caused damage to my unit?

The Condo board is open to listening to my argument, however I am not 100% sure on the rules/laws. I am from Edmonton, Alberta if that matters
6 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2855 posts
1859 upvotes
Toronto
Why is the Condo Corp's insurance not covering the contents?

Your insurance company would immediately be going to the Condo Corp for reimbursement on their settlement to you - they'll likely sue them/their insurance company if they're paying you $25,000 for all your furniture, electronics etc.

No damage to things like the kitchen cabinets etc?
[OP]
Jun 7, 2017
136 posts
112 upvotes
torontotim wrote: Why is the Condo Corp's insurance not covering the contents?

Your insurance company would immediately be going to the Condo Corp for reimbursement on their settlement to you - they'll likely sue them/their insurance company if they're paying you $25,000 for all your furniture, electronics etc.

No damage to things like the kitchen cabinets etc?
I guess that is how it works? Contents covered by my insurance, everything else Condos. No damage to Kitchen, was in bedroom, but there is a lot of Clothes ect that were soaked, have other stuff that might be damaged by the humidity including a lot of electronics, still looking into all of that but focused on 1,000 deductible now.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
2855 posts
1859 upvotes
Toronto
If you're paying a deductible, then chances are your premium will also go up by 10% or so for the next 5-10 years (they get you on both ends).

They make it painful so you don't bother making a claim. If you do make a claim, make it worthwhile. Mattress is OK?
[OP]
Jun 7, 2017
136 posts
112 upvotes
torontotim wrote: If you're paying a deductible, then chances are your premium will also go up by 10% or so for the next 5-10 years (they get you on both ends).

They make it painful so you don't bother making a claim. If you do make a claim, make it worthwhile. Mattress is OK?
Water on Matress ect, was like 1 foot deep in the carpet, I will be claiming everything, part of roof colapsed on Matress, pile of clothing on ground sitting in water for a week as well.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1612 posts
353 upvotes
Vancouver
There is usually a minimum deductible amount that the damage has to be over before the condos insurance kicks in. Anything below the condos deductible is the responsibility of the unit owner to go through their own insurance.
Jan 8, 2011
575 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
From my experience the condo insurance would only cover repairs based on the standard unit definition. So, if you upgrade to nice HW floors this may not be insured unless you’ve added betterment insurance to your personal policy. Condo insurance will not pay for personal contents.