Food & Drink

Confess something you recently became aware of that you're shocked you didn't know earlier

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 11th, 2020 10:24 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
3392 posts
1626 upvotes
Toronto

Confess something you recently became aware of that you're shocked you didn't know earlier

Not sure if this will catch on (or if there is anything similar).

It only clicked in for me today that the Canadian regular Mountain Dew now has caffeine (since 2012).
I haven't been a big soda pop drinker for the last couple of decades, so I guess this change flew by my radar?
Might just have to buy some to try, lol, 8 years later.

If anyone has a random thing like that (pertaining to food and drink), feel free to share.
127 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
15769 posts
3350 upvotes
Toronto
I was surprised to learn a few years ago that Mountain dew original is the only one with real orange juice in the ingredient list.
All other versions of Mountain Dew (ie Mountain dew voltage, a Blue version of Mountain dew) DO NOT include real orange juice.

Mountain dew cherry used to include real cherry juice, but I doubt that's the case these days...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
26913 posts
7200 upvotes
shikotee wrote: Not sure if this will catch on (or if there is anything similar).

It only clicked in for me today that the Canadian regular Mountain Dew now has caffeine (since 2012).
I haven't been a big soda pop drinker for the last couple of decades, so I guess this change flew by my radar?
Might just have to buy some to try, lol, 8 years later.
Yeah neither have I (haven't been much into pop for like 10 years, I only drink occasionally now and basically coffee has replaced pop for me in most instances lol). However I advise you not to try "new" caffeinated Mountain Dew because it has a bitter aftertaste. The weird thing is it somehow doesn't have quite the same horrible aftertaste the US stuff has, but maybe it improved or something ('cause I haven't had that stuff since the 90s), and perhaps that's why they introduced it here?

I'm not sure about stuff I didn't know, but now not being able to go to the US I'm noticing more products I'd never seen/found here before, being sold here. I dunno if they're new to the market or I just wasn't looking hard enough before lol. It was always difficult to find whipped butter here yet I seen it at Costco now; also butter sticks I just noticed here today, but I swear sticks have never been sold here. I go through very very little butter so usually I buy a thing of four sticks or eight half sticks (either is a pound) in US and that lasts for a year plus as I just freeze 'em and pull out a new stick when needed. We got Cheez Its here now so that's great (and those are pretty new here).

Still there's lots of stuff we still don't got like the refrigerated soups at Walmart; Talenti gelatos;, tater tots (like the real ones); Vermont cheddar; Wildscape meals (haven't seen them at least); certain Target-brand products 'cause we all know what happened there..list goes on really :(
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
15769 posts
3350 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: Yeah neither have I (haven't been much into pop for like 10 years, I only drink occasionally now and basically coffee has replaced pop for me in most instances lol). However I advise you not to try "new" caffeinated Mountain Dew because it has a bitter aftertaste. The weird thing is it somehow doesn't have quite the same horrible aftertaste the US stuff has, but maybe it improved or something ('cause I haven't had that stuff since the 90s), and perhaps that's why they introduced it here?
There is nothing wrong with Mountain Dew Canada. Mountain Dew Canada has real orange juice in in it. Mountain Dew USA does not. PLUS ALSO DO NOT driink it past the expiry date in both Canada or USA. THAT is where the worst most bitter taste can be found.
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
594 upvotes
Toronto
I didn't know that the large pizza costs $6 at Walmart and at Pizza Pizza costs $14. All I have to do is throw the frozen pizza in the oven for 20 mins and it tastes better than Pizza Pizza.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1111 posts
733 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Pickles used to be—wait for it—cucumbers! Who knew!
I could not convince my friend from Quebec no matter how hard I tried that raisins were dried grapes.
Maybe she could only see them going into a wine bottle Smiling Face With Sunglasses

An aside story.
My young son had stuffed grapes into a small vase to make into raisins in his bedroom. I found them after I noticed a persistent cloud of fruit flies.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
3758 posts
1093 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
I actually thought the Shamrock Shake was made with clovers, I was surprised to find out it actually is simply Vanilla Ice Cream with green food coloring
Hi
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4906 posts
1728 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote: I was surprised to learn a few years ago that Mountain dew original is the only one with real orange juice in the ingredient list.
All other versions of Mountain Dew (ie Mountain dew voltage, a Blue version of Mountain dew) DO NOT include real orange juice.

Mountain dew cherry used to include real cherry juice, but I doubt that's the case these days...
I actually learned right at this moment that Mountain Dew is supposed to be orange related. I always thought it was just a generic sugary pop (like cream soda or something).
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3040 posts
2045 upvotes
Canadia
Kiraly wrote: <wince>Dude! We don't do that here. That's a Calgary thing to do. "YVR" just means the airport itself, not the entire metro region lol
I live in Calgary and cringe every time someone refers to the city as YYC.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
15769 posts
3350 upvotes
Toronto
Manatus wrote: I actually learned right at this moment that Mountain Dew is supposed to be orange related. I always thought it was just a generic sugary pop (like cream soda or something).
In Canada, not Orange related ORANGE JUICE related.

There used to be a time when Orange Crush had real orange juice. NOT these days. Thankfully, Fanta orange has real orange juice and Fanta Cream soda is using real white grape juice.

Classic Orange crush ad:

Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6262 posts
3147 upvotes
Aurora
Not too recent but I was surprised when I learned a couple of years ago that the "wasabi" I've eaten with sushi all my life was not wasabi but green coloured horse radish and the real stuff is very difficult and expensive to get and doesn't keep well.