Personal Finance

Confirming that tangerine HISA at 2.5 is the highest right now?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2020 8:59 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 29, 2006
526 posts
276 upvotes

Confirming that tangerine HISA at 2.5 is the highest right now?

Hi everyone, I have a significant amount of money coming in 2 weeks and need to park it until mid September. The amount is between 500 and 600k. I have motive, eq bank and LDC all earning 2 to 2.05 percent.

I believe tangerine is currently paying the highest rate at 2.50 but just wanted to make sure I'm not overlooking any options.

Thanks!
16 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2015
1108 posts
694 upvotes
Guelph, ON
To my knowledge that is correct, with the caveat that this is a promotional rate (but if you are withdrawing it in Sept. then that isn't a concern). One thing you might want to check is if the amount goes past their limit (my current promotional limit is $1M, but I'm not sure if the limit is the same as the new accounts promotional).
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9232 posts
2264 upvotes
The best rate possible for an existing customer is 2.25%. Perhaps as a new customer who never had an hisa with them and as a promo, they can offer you 2.50%.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
[OP]
May 29, 2006
526 posts
276 upvotes
Frankie3s wrote: The best rate possible for an existing customer is 2.25%. Perhaps as a new customer who never had an hisa with them and as a promo, they can offer you 2.50%.
Yeah that's me, never had tangerine before and my gf got 2.8 a month ago. Doesn't look like I'll do better than 2.5 right now the liquidity of tangerine
Dec 30, 2006
369 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto
How do you guys such high rate? It is showing 0.25 on my account.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2015
1108 posts
694 upvotes
Guelph, ON
chrisuoft wrote: Promo rate for new clients
Also offers for existing customers. I move everything out when the current promo ends, then in a couple months they typically send me a new offer.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
3825 posts
2377 upvotes
Ottawa
Consider if you want to go over CDIC limit. Tangerine owned by Bank of Nova Scotia is very safe. Some others riskier.
[OP]
May 29, 2006
526 posts
276 upvotes
fogetmylogin wrote: Consider if you want to go over CDIC limit. Tangerine owned by Bank of Nova Scotia is very safe. Some others riskier.
Thanks, thats the calculated risk I'm taking with tangerine. And I'm not seeing any higher options anyways so I opened my tangerine account. Which went way smoother than lbc and motive.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9232 posts
2264 upvotes
chrisuoft wrote: Yeah that's me, never had tangerine before and my gf got 2.8 a month ago. Doesn't look like I'll do better than 2.5 right now the liquidity of tangerine
2.50% is damn good right now. Another bank that I deal with, B2B and LBC Digital for that matter just sent me an email that they've reduced their rates to 1.65%. However, check out the thread on here regarding Manulife Bank which is paying 2.75% on amounts upto $50,000 (manulife-earn-2-75-interest-first-4-mon ... h-2378707/).
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
[OP]
May 29, 2006
526 posts
276 upvotes
Frankie3s wrote: 2.50% is damn good right now. Another bank that I deal with, B2B and LBC Digital for that matter just sent me an email that they've reduced their rates to 1.65%. However, check out the thread on here regarding Manulife Bank which is paying 2.75% on amounts upto $50,000 (manulife-earn-2-75-interest-first-4-mon ... h-2378707/).
Yeah I'm with lbc as well and got the same notice, so will transfer it all to tangerine for 5 months. I'm sure eq and motive aren't far away from dropping rates as well
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9232 posts
2264 upvotes
chrisuoft wrote: Yeah I'm with lbc as well and got the same notice, so will transfer it all to tangerine for 5 months. I'm sure eq and motive aren't far away from dropping rates as well
Check out the 2.75% Manulife offer upto 50K in the link above. Manulife is a safe bank to have your cash with.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7588 posts
8184 upvotes
Vancouver
Frankie3s wrote: Check out the 2.75% Manulife offer upto 50K in the link above. Manulife is a safe bank to have your cash with.
I've had a Manulife account since the days of the 3.25% promo last year, and they've been fine, but I moved all the money out after the promo expiry.

The new promo rate limits of $50K max for 4 months makes me question whether it's worth the hassle of opening an account and transferring money around to gain around $100 over other alternatives though.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7588 posts
8184 upvotes
Vancouver
sheyenne wrote: What are the alternatives at the moment?
Motive at 2.05% for example, always offering a more stable long-term high interest rate.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2017
1453 posts
988 upvotes
Toronto, ON
chrisuoft wrote: Hi everyone, I have a significant amount of money coming in 2 weeks and need to park it until mid September. The amount is between 500 and 600k. I have motive, eq bank and LDC all earning 2 to 2.05 percent.

I believe tangerine is currently paying the highest rate at 2.50 but just wanted to make sure I'm not overlooking any options.

Thanks!
... for new clients only. ... time limited.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
3765 posts
2417 upvotes
Frankie3s wrote: Check out the 2.75% Manulife offer upto 50K in the link above. Manulife is a safe bank to have your cash with.
Interest rate for Manulife is now 2.5%, 50k limit and limited to new customers only.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)