• Jan 5th, 2020 10:35 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2002
1078 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto

Confused about APN settings for unlocked phones

For all the years I've owned mobile phones, I've always bought them through my carrier. I was recently given an unlocked Galaxy S8, which I'd like to set up for my wife. After popping in her SIM, it would seem that she has no data access (including MMS) unless I enter Rogers' APN. Is this how it's supposed to work? I still can't get MMS to work correctly, but I'm guessing that's just an incorrect MMS APN setting, which I'll call Rogers about.

When travelling, does this mean I need to find the APN for whatever carrier the phone would be roaming on before it will be able to work? If so, what's the best way to find the correct APN?
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2005
1312 posts
330 upvotes
Halifax
goldenegg wrote: For all the years I've owned mobile phones, I've always bought them through my carrier. I was recently given an unlocked Galaxy S8, which I'd like to set up for my wife. After popping in her SIM, it would seem that she has no data access (including MMS) unless I enter Rogers' APN. Is this how it's supposed to work? I still can't get MMS to work correctly, but I'm guessing that's just an incorrect MMS APN setting, which I'll call Rogers about.

When travelling, does this mean I need to find the APN for whatever carrier the phone would be roaming on before it will be able to work? If so, what's the best way to find the correct APN?
Just Google for the apn settings for your carrier.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2279 posts
961 upvotes
Montreal, QC
goldenegg wrote: For all the years I've owned mobile phones, I've always bought them through my carrier. I was recently given an unlocked Galaxy S8, which I'd like to set up for my wife. After popping in her SIM, it would seem that she has no data access (including MMS) unless I enter Rogers' APN. Is this how it's supposed to work? I still can't get MMS to work correctly, but I'm guessing that's just an incorrect MMS APN setting, which I'll call Rogers about.

yes, you need to get the APN settings for whichever carrier your sim is from.
for Canada, i use this site, https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19493 posts
7626 upvotes
Toronto
All phones come preloaded with a list of APNs. Carrier phones often come with a modified list of APNs that only include their own for obvious reasons. Unlocked phones purchased from non carrier sources will most likely have APN data for every carrier in the world except the really obscure ones. Using an incorrect APN will affect mobile data and MMS.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $5/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2002
1078 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the feedback.

My original post as actually incorrect. It's actually an unlocked S7 I was given. Unfortunately, it's the Sprint version of the phone and it doesn't have a full set of APNs in the phone. There's also some other issues I've run in to with the phone that won't let it be useable for my wife. I've purchased an unlocked S8 now (Canadian model) that will resolve all these issues.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)