Real Estate

confused...Which one is better...deep lot or facing townhome backyard...

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2019 10:43 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 4, 2017
130 posts
32 upvotes

confused...Which one is better...deep lot or facing townhome backyard...

I am confused which one is better in terms of resale later.. I would like to hear opinions on this one..

1. 130ft deep lot but facing townhomes's backtard
2. 120 ft deep lot but tapered in width and facing single home's backyard.
3. 150 ft deep lot but layout plan is not preferred compared to first two.
10 replies
Jul 4, 2018
377 posts
295 upvotes
I choose #1
Because when it’s facing a backyard, if it’s TH or single detached, doesn’t matter

Both 1 and 2 are safe bet compared to 3
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2436 posts
1204 upvotes
Ottawa
bhushh009 wrote: I am confused which one is better in terms of resale later.. I would like to hear opinions on this one..

1. 130ft deep lot but facing townhomes's backtard
2. 120 ft deep lot but tapered in width and facing single home's backyard.
3. 150 ft deep lot but layout plan is not preferred compared to first two.
Layout plan not preferred by who?

Nobody will care who they are facing SFH vs Townhome. The extra 10 feet of depth will be of marginal value somewhat greater than zero. A 150 ft lot especially if it is proper width will add some value.
[OP]
Feb 4, 2017
130 posts
32 upvotes
fogetmylogin wrote:
Layout plan not preferred by who?

Nobody will care who they are facing SFH vs Townhome. The extra 10 feet of depth will be of marginal value somewhat greater than zero. A 150 ft lot especially if it is proper width will add some value.
Layout plan not preferred by spouse.

Width is 50ft in all lots.

Sorry guys may be I wasn't cleared. All these 3 lots backyard facing the townhome and single backyard.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2965 posts
1571 upvotes
Mississauga
Bigger is better
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
10066 posts
1513 upvotes
Layout and lifestyle is always #1 over anything IMO.

But that is subjective so keep that in mind.

Happy wife happy life?
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3775 posts
3206 upvotes
Well, option 3 is out as the house plan is not suitable.

How deep are the lots behind you? This makes a difference to me as deep lots can easily be developed to have pools installed. I wouldn't want to back onto someone's pool. Did that in the past and never again. So I avoid backing onto oversized lots for this reason, especially if they have a premium attached to them. Many people willingly pay a premium as they have plans for developing the yard.

My preference would be SFH, not towns. Towns are high density which potentially means more people outside in their yards and potentially more noise.
[OP]
Feb 4, 2017
130 posts
32 upvotes
skeet50 wrote: Well, option 3 is out as the house plan is not suitable.

How deep are the lots behind you? This makes a difference to me as deep lots can easily be developed to have pools installed. I wouldn't want to back onto someone's pool. Did that in the past and never again. So I avoid backing onto oversized lots for this reason, especially if they have a premium attached to them. Many people willingly pay a premium as they have plans for developing the yard.

My preference would be SFH, not towns. Towns are high density which potentially means more people outside in their yards and potentially more noise.

why do you not want back onto pools? Is it because of Noise?
Most of the lots are same size 120 ft deep.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
1047 posts
1417 upvotes
Stouffville ON
It also depends how much backyard you actually have, 10 feet will make a difference if all you got is 20.
Are the TH behind you luxury, run of the mill or worse, neighbourhood matters.
How bad is the layout in comparison to the other 2, your spouse's opinion may not be inline with general public.
Full Time and Full Service Realtor
Mar 10, 2004
650 posts
214 upvotes
I would pick the lot that does not face the town homes. I live in a detached home that used to face a detached home. Then that house was torn down with a few other houses to make room for a 4 storey condo and i don t like it. There is no privacy. And with nights falling earlier it s even worse. Surprisingly noise is not a big deal though. IMO the larger lot size isn t worth it if your privacy will be compromised. Also as a buyer, the 1st thing I would notice are the town homes and not the lot size.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3775 posts
3206 upvotes
bhushh009 wrote: why do you not want back onto pools? Is it because of Noise?
Most of the lots are same size 120 ft deep.
Noise, and in the past, I had very inconsiderate neighbours who drained their pools into the storm drain that happened to be located in my yard - flooding the back portion of my yard and destroying all my plants.