Food & Drink

Congee Queen - odd/irritating takeout policy?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 17th, 2016 10:42 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14878 posts
4324 upvotes
Montréal

Congee Queen - odd/irritating takeout policy?

Went there the other day and ordered some dishes to eat there and I also ordered some other stuff (this time to-go) since I knew that I wouldn't be able to finish it and wanted to be efficient. Anyway, we finished the 1st stuff and were still hungry, so I opened up the take-out boxes and started eating that. All of a sudden, a waiter was kinda having a fit telling us that we weren't allowed to eat the take-out in the store and I was a bit puzzled and was thinking to myself why. Kinda weird, did other ppl maybe try to sneak outside food into the place? I dunno. It's obvious we were eating their food, so that couldn't be the confusion. Anyway, not a huge biggie but a bit irritating to be the recipient of this weird 'fit' like I was doing something pseudo-criminal.

Fast fwd to next time we ate there, we ate some stuff and couldn't finish so asked for some take-out trays. They gave us some styrofoam containers and I was wondering what happened to the microwavable ones that I got w/ the take-out stuff from my previous time. Now I finally figured out why the waiter had a 'fit' the 1st time: apparently, if you order 'to-go', they give you the better microwavable containers, but if you wanted to take your dine-in food leftovers, they only give you the styrofoam, but, you could *buy* the microwavables for $1 each. LOL, what a joke, *that's* the reason for having a major fit for me eating the takeout food in the restaurant??? The irony was that I expected the usual cheap stryofoam as takeout containers given this is a Chinese restaurant and that's the expected mentality to cut corners/cheap-out/etc (I'm Chinese so I can say that and it's true anyway) so it's no biggie, but was pleasantly surprised that it was microwavable and even had 'Congee Queen' embossing - very professional. Now due to this weird policy, it became a turn-off. I'm still guessing why they have that 'don't eat take-out stuff in the restaurant' policy...are some cheap ppl trying to hoard those microwavables and always ordering takeout just to mooch those containers? I dunno. Just so silly they would differentiate between leftovers vs takeout and actually charge 'extra' for the better containers: they are discriminating against leftovers, as if they don't need to be reheated, vs takeouts. Hilarious the mindset of cheap ppl. Again, it was quite ironic as I rather they just give out the styrofoams only, but now they do this, it's just seems so petty and irritating to me.

What do you think? No biggie or weird policy?
25 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13892 posts
8987 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Because the food is cold and therefore won't burn through the Styrofoam where-as the takeout food are right off the wok and piping hot so microwavable containers are used instead of Styrofoam.
tranquility922 wrote: Went there the other day and ordered some dishes to eat there and I also ordered some other stuff (this time to-go) since I knew that I wouldn't be able to finish it and wanted to be efficient. Anyway, we finished the 1st stuff and were still hungry, so I opened up the take-out boxes and started eating that. All of a sudden, a waiter was kinda having a fit telling us that we weren't allowed to eat the take-out in the store and I was a bit puzzled and was thinking to myself why. Kinda weird, did other ppl maybe try to sneak outside food into the place? I dunno. It's obvious we were eating their food, so that couldn't be the confusion. Anyway, not a huge biggie but a bit irritating to be the recipient of this weird 'fit' like I was doing something pseudo-criminal.

Fast fwd to next time we ate there, we ate some stuff and couldn't finish so asked for some take-out trays. They gave us some styrofoam containers and I was wondering what happened to the microwavable ones that I got w/ the take-out stuff from my previous time. Now I finally figured out why the waiter had a 'fit' the 1st time: apparently, if you order 'to-go', they give you the better microwavable containers, but if you wanted to take your dine-in food leftovers, they only give you the styrofoam, but, you could *buy* the microwavables for $1 each. LOL, what a joke, *that's* the reason for having a major fit for me eating the takeout food in the restaurant??? The irony was that I expected the usual cheap stryofoam as takeout containers given this is a Chinese restaurant and that's the expected mentality to cut corners/cheap-out/etc (I'm Chinese so I can say that and it's true anyway) so it's no biggie, but was pleasantly surprised that it was microwavable and even had 'Congee Queen' embossing - very professional. Now due to this weird policy, it became a turn-off. I'm still guessing why they have that 'don't eat take-out stuff in the restaurant' policy...are some cheap ppl trying to hoard those microwavables and always ordering takeout just to mooch those containers? I dunno. Just so silly they would differentiate between leftovers vs takeout and actually charge 'extra' for the better containers: they are discriminating against leftovers, as if they don't need to be reheated, vs takeouts. Hilarious the mindset of cheap ppl. Again, it was quite ironic as I rather they just give out the styrofoams only, but now they do this, it's just seems so petty and irritating to me.

What do you think? No biggie or weird policy?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14878 posts
4324 upvotes
Montréal
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Because the food is cold and therefore won't burn through the Styrofoam where-as the takeout food are right off the wok and piping hot so microwavable containers are used instead of Styrofoam.
I'm sure it's more due to cheapness/wanting to charge more vs the temp of leftovers/takeout food. Doubtful they'd get scientific about that and it's negligible and doesn't address the question of reheating. Besides, many places still use styro for takeouts and we don't hear of this 'horrid' burning-through craziness. /sarcasm
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2016
1801 posts
1817 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This thread is making me hungry.

I never focused on the type of containers that take-out restaurants give, except I do like the Swiss Chalet ones as they are more sturdy than Styrofoam. Didn't consider that it has to do with temperature either as OP posted I get the most piping hot food served in Styrofoam from almost all take-out places. It's the rare ones that up the ante and serve in better/more expensive containers.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
397 upvotes
In either case, I love the microwavable containers from Congee Queen.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14878 posts
4324 upvotes
Montréal
dotsandpixels wrote: This thread is making me hungry.

I never focused on the type of containers that take-out restaurants give, except I do like the Swiss Chalet ones as they are more sturdy than Styrofoam. Didn't consider that it has to do with temperature either as OP posted I get the most piping hot food served in Styrofoam from almost all take-out places. It's the rare ones that up the ante and serve in better/more expensive containers.
Yup, I never focus either but it's hard to ignore due to the 'fit' and then the blatant difference in the black microwavables vs the white styrofoams. Like I said, I'd rather they stay cheap and just use the styros but now they gotta do this and 'ante up' but charge extra in some situations doesn't rub the right way.

kmarcie wrote: In either case, I love the microwavable containers from Congee Queen.
Ya, they're good so maybe that's why some cheapos are hoarding them (pretending to dine-in just to mooch the containers) and making the restaurant think up this weird policy. I guess it's the cheapos fault for making the restaurant take this strange action lol.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11632 posts
3932 upvotes
Toronto
tranquility922 wrote: Yup, I never focus either but it's hard to ignore due to the 'fit' and then the blatant difference in the black microwavables vs the white styrofoams. Like I said, I'd rather they stay cheap and just use the styros but now they gotta do this and 'ante up' but charge extra in some situations doesn't rub the right way.

Ya, they're good so maybe that's why some cheapos are hoarding them (pretending to dine-in just to mooch the containers) and making the restaurant think up this weird policy. I guess it's the cheapos fault for making the restaurant take this strange action lol.

Probably, same as those sign that no corns or banana peeling policy at No frills. Some must take too much advantage of it and make the business to make out some policy to stop them.
I see some restaurant charge 25c on take out box too. I guess it is to prevent customers to take advantage of having more extra foam boxes than they really need.

Telling customer not to tell the food in the take out box is screwed up tho. It is not their business rather you eating it inside or out, you are paying for it. Again, probably a lot people abusing their microwavable box.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13892 posts
8987 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Melted Styrofoam doesn't do good to your health.
dotsandpixels wrote: This thread is making me hungry.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14878 posts
4324 upvotes
Montréal
MP3_SKY wrote: Probably, same as those sign that no corns or banana peeling policy at No frills. Some must take too much advantage of it and make the business to make out some policy to stop them.
I see some restaurant charge 25c on take out box too. I guess it is to prevent customers to take advantage of having more extra foam boxes than they really need.

Telling customer not to tell the food in the take out box is screwed up tho. It is not their business rather you eating it inside or out, you are paying for it. Again, probably a lot people abusing their microwavable box.
Yup, now that this thread has progressed, I'm not placing the blame totally on the restaurant for this weird policy as I see it is most likely to do w/ cheapos wanting to hoard those microwavable containers and just a knee-jerk reaction from Congee Queen; still it's an annoying/irritating policy and there's probably a better way to go about it. You're right it was awkward for that waiter to have a 'fit' telling me I can't eat the bought food from their place lol. That was so weird and a bit irritating.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14878 posts
4324 upvotes
Montréal
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Melted Styrofoam doesn't do good to your health.
So Congee Queen is doing this for the health and benefit of its customers? /sarcasm

I know this is a forum where cheap ppl congregate and that cheapos will defend other cheapos but cmon lol.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6970 posts
1709 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote: Probably, same as those sign that no corns or banana peeling policy at No frills.
People peel bananas at the store?

Most places have started providing bins for the corn husks.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2012
1075 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
bonterra wrote: People peel bananas at the store?

Most places have started providing bins for the corn husks.
They don't peel the bananas and eat them, they often break a larger bunch/bundle of bananas into smaller ones. So say if 6-7 bananas are attached together, they'll break off 3-4 and leave them behind.
Apr 21, 2016
111 posts
100 upvotes
If the waiter is making a fuss about it then the management must have had words with the staff about this issue. The waiter probably seen the same situation many times if he/she decided to take time and tell you about it.

At the end of the day everything in the restaurant is an expense for them. If they were charges prices like western restaurant does then this policy doesn't make sense but from what I remember their prices are maybe $1-2 dollar higher than a Chinese food court. Giving them that I think the OP should give them a pass.
Just an average netizen here because of the quarantine. :razz:
Web Developer for 5+ years. 😎
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12031 posts
2639 upvotes
Did you ask for the cheque on your table prior to you opening up the takeout container? If so then in their minds, they are being efficient, but come off rude. You're done eating so leave.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2706 upvotes
ON
If a hypothetical container-abuser really cared about $1 or whatever, they would just order all of their food as takeout, and skip paying a tip (though they probably wouldn't anyway...) and many places have a takeout cash discount making it well worth it.
Saved 10-20% and you get your fancy containers! Win-win.
Tdotmale wrote: They don't peel the bananas and eat them, they often break a larger bunch/bundle of bananas into smaller ones. So say if 6-7 bananas are attached together, they'll break off 3-4 and leave them behind.
What's wrong with that? (if they're sold by weight)
The bananas are perfectly fine to sell, and I'm sure someone else who only wants 3 bananas will get the other half.
If this is a rule somewhere, that's just ridiculous.

The corn, on the other hand is totally different. You've exposed the corn and it will go bad, fast. And if you didn't take it, someone else probably won't. It's pretty much just waste at that point.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
717 upvotes
Are the congee queen containers certified for microwave and for dishwashing? There should be imprinted 2 different symbols if they are certified for those tasks.

T&T used to have containers that were certified for both, now their take away containers have no symbols so not safe for either.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1595 posts
592 upvotes
Toronto
I try not to do take out from congee queen. I've eaten in the restaurants before and the portions they serve you in the restaurant are way better than the portions in the take out containers. The price is the same I think. I was especially surprised to see how much less you get for noodles. I ordered the shanghai thick noodles and it could not have been more than 1/2 the portion of the sit in restaurant portion.

I just eat in the restaurant now and whatever I can't finish I pack up.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6970 posts
1709 upvotes
aqnd wrote:
What's wrong with that? (if they're sold by weight)
The bananas are perfectly fine to sell, and I'm sure someone else who only wants 3 bananas will get the other half.
If this is a rule somewhere, that's just ridiculous.
My thoughts exactly.

I'd have no qualms about splitting up bananas to get the exact number I want. I'll also take damaged or seedy stocks of asparagus out of the bunches with elastic around them. Or add more stalks from another bunch.

Sometimes I'll buy corn that someone else has dehusked and discarded if it looks fresh and unblemished. Saves me the trouble of doing it myself.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14878 posts
4324 upvotes
Montréal
WebDesignerGirl wrote: If the waiter is making a fuss about it then the management must have had words with the staff about this issue. The waiter probably seen the same situation many times if he/she decided to take time and tell you about it.

At the end of the day everything in the restaurant is an expense for them. If they were charges prices like western restaurant does then this policy doesn't make sense but from what I remember their prices are maybe $1-2 dollar higher than a Chinese food court. Giving them that I think the OP should give them a pass.
Well, I did give them a pass since I didn't confront them about it. I have no idea what their prices are relative to other places, I just think it's a silly policy.

joeyjoejoe wrote: Did you ask for the cheque on your table prior to you opening up the takeout container? If so then in their minds, they are being efficient, but come off rude. You're done eating so leave.
You must be confused, no one told me to leave, they just didn't want me eating the takeout stuff in the resto.

rageking wrote: Are the congee queen containers certified for microwave and for dishwashing? There should be imprinted 2 different symbols if they are certified for those tasks.

T&T used to have containers that were certified for both, now their take away containers have no symbols so not safe for either.
Ya, they seem pretty good, I microwaved it and dishwashed it and re-used it once before throwing it away. I'm sure the cheapos kept it indefinitely as their new 'dishware' lol.

gqbluez wrote: I try not to do take out from congee queen. I've eaten in the restaurants before and the portions they serve you in the restaurant are way better than the portions in the take out containers. The price is the same I think. I was especially surprised to see how much less you get for noodles. I ordered the shanghai thick noodles and it could not have been more than 1/2 the portion of the sit in restaurant portion.

I just eat in the restaurant now and whatever I can't finish I pack up.
I have no idea the dine-in vs takeout portions: shouldn't they be the same size, otherwise it's kinda scammy.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20766 posts
4893 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Or it could be diners eating the carry out and claiming they never got it?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.