236 upvotes
Mississauga

2kg Pancake Mix - $21.99 - Support A Canadian Small Business

Deal Link:
Price:
Retailer:
Connaisseur Foods
Store Link

Mississauga company that actually provides pancakes to a ton of huge top-tier hotels (Waldorf, Four Seasons, etc.)
They're selling to the public for the first time. Found out through a family relative, and ecstatic to share.
Genuinely the best pancakes I've ever had.
$0 pickup option available (located by the Costco on Laird), or ground shipping within Canada.

"I've used the Connaisseur brand for many years. The quality and consistency of their mixes is top notch. Easy to make, add water only and the taste is in a class of its own. A favourite with guests who are surprised the pancakes and waffles are not made from scratch."

- Thomas Bellec, Executive Chef, Four Seasons Resort, Hualalai
Last edited by kiz5 on Jul 21st, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
37 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
2064 posts
14059 upvotes
I'm all for supporting local/Canadian, but boxed pancake mix? It's a pretty basic DIY product, no?
Ingredients:
Wheat flour • Buttermilk powder • Sugar • Palm oil powder (contains milk) • Dried egg yolk • Whey powder • Natural flavour • Sodium bicarbonate • Modified corn starch • Sodium acid pyrophosphate • Modified potato starch • Salt • Sodium stearoyl lactylate • Guar gum • Lactic acid • Dried whole egg.
Oct 24, 2010
896 posts
898 upvotes
Toronto
Plus 12 dollars shipping. 34 bucks for 2 kg of flour, buttermilk powder, and sugar. What a steal!!! Laf. Get outta here.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37431 posts
23499 upvotes
Center of Universe
Leverage wrote: I'm all for supporting local/Canadian, but boxed pancake mix? It's a pretty basic DIY product, no?
No, as I only have a quarter of the required ingredients.
Apr 18, 2008
604 posts
1125 upvotes
BC
The Gluten Free mix is a handy gift! Thanks OP!
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2005
1650 posts
1674 upvotes
Markham, ON
Leverage wrote: I'm all for supporting local/Canadian, but boxed pancake mix? It's a pretty basic DIY product, no?
Why would you add all that shit in the ingredients list.

All you need is:

Flour
Egg
Sugar
Salt
Baking Powder
Milk
Veg oil / butter
Vanilla Extract (if you're not a big fan of the the faint smell of egg)

You can play around with the amount of each item to find your perfect recipe.
Jan 22, 2018
254 posts
275 upvotes
Supplier of top tier hotel chains? Neither sounds like local small business to me.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2003
1835 posts
718 upvotes
Ottawa
vkizzle wrote: No, as I only have a quarter of the required ingredients.
  • Wheat flour
  • Buttermilk powder
  • Sugar
  • Palm oil powder (contains milk)
  • Dried egg yolk
  • Whey powder
  • Natural flavour
  • Sodium bicarbonate
  • Modified corn starch
  • Sodium acid pyrophosphate
  • Modified potato starch
  • Salt
  • Sodium stearoyl lactylate
  • Guar gum
  • Lactic acid
  • Dried whole egg

A typical pancake mix will need Flour, Sugar, Salt, Eggs, Milk (use vinegar or lemon juice to turn regular milk into buttermilk), butter, baking soda, and or baking powder. These are typically pantry staples for both cooking and or baking. The use of many of these ingredients to create something shelf stable in a commercial environment.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3476 posts
3968 upvotes
I'm just going to stick with my Aunt Jemima, she makes the best pancakes and they're dirt cheap.
For Sale:
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37431 posts
23499 upvotes
Center of Universe
surrealillusion wrote:
  • Wheat flour
  • Buttermilk powder
  • Sugar
  • Palm oil powder (contains milk)
  • Dried egg yolk
  • Whey powder
  • Natural flavour
  • Sodium bicarbonate
  • Modified corn starch
  • Sodium acid pyrophosphate
  • Modified potato starch
  • Salt
  • Sodium stearoyl lactylate
  • Guar gum
  • Lactic acid
  • Dried whole egg

A typical pancake mix will need Flour, Sugar, Salt, Eggs, Milk (use vinegar or lemon juice to turn regular milk into buttermilk), butter, baking soda, and or baking powder. These are typically pantry staples for both cooking and or baking. The use of many of these ingredients to create something shelf stable in a commercial environment.
Milk and eggs... that's all I have.
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
11185 posts
4553 upvotes
thelasthunter wrote: I'm just going to stick with my Aunt Jemima, she makes the best pancakes and they're dirt cheap.
Aunt Jemina will not be around for too long.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2003
1835 posts
718 upvotes
Ottawa
vkizzle wrote: Milk and eggs... that's all I have.
Well I guess if we ever had a local socially distanced gathering involving food I'd supply the pantry ingredients lol
Mar 2, 2005
218 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto
Dried egg yolk is potentially harmful as it likely contains oxidized cholesterol
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2015
1298 posts
1414 upvotes
Abbotsford
bobcat99 wrote: Aunt Jemina will not be around for too long.
It will be - just with a new name : Uncle Mike's or Aunty Karen
Jul 15, 2009
515 posts
1141 upvotes
Toronto
As a real pancake connoisseur, I'd highly recommend culturing your own buttermilk. It's the easiest thing ever--just add about 1/4 cup of store bought buttermilk to 1l of milk in a jar and let it sit undisturbed on your counter for ~8-12hr. Once it has thickened up, put it in your fridge. Do this every week or so (using your own buttermilk as starter instead of store bought) and you have fresh buttermilk for life. Fresh buttermilk and proper technique will elevate your pancakes to divine.

Most important technique tips:
  • Don't overmix when adding wet ingredients to dry ingredients-- it should be lumpy and have some dry bits
  • Let the mix sit for a while before cooking (like 15-30 min)--give the dry bits time to hydrate
  • When in doubt, moar butter

EDIT:
    Also, if you're making them for your family and you want everyone to eat together, you can put them in your oven (lowest temperature setting) on a wire rack to keep warm until they're all done
Last edited by anatman on Jul 21st, 2020 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)