• Aug 13th, 2021 12:42 pm
[OP]
May 4, 2020
327 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto, On

Connect a new macbook to the internet

Hi
I have company new macbook, it supposed to connect to our company WiFi then I can logon with my user account to authenticate to Active Directory. When I enter my user ID and password, the mac keep shaking.
This new macbook does not have network drop (RJ45). Someone told me to use USB to RJ45 and connect to network using network cable.

This might be good idea but I am curious, if a computer does not have RJ45 port then that means it does not have network card; maybe only wireless network card. Then how can USB-to-RJ45 would help? Thank you very much.
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7205 posts
9195 upvotes
The NORTH
lwlwlwlw wrote: Hi
I have company new macbook, it supposed to connect to our company WiFi then I can logon with my user account to authenticate to Active Directory. When I enter my user ID and password, the mac keep shaking.
This new macbook does not have network drop (RJ45). Someone told me to use USB to RJ45 and connect to network using network cable.

This might be good idea but I am curious, if a computer does not have RJ45 port then that means it does not have network card; maybe only wireless network card. Then how can USB-to-RJ45 would help? Thank you very much.
What do you mean the mac keeps shaking? The trackpad's haptic feedback vibrates or the computer shakes?

Also : Talk to your companies IT department. DO NOT attach random dongles to your companies Mac without permission.
[OP]
May 4, 2020
327 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto, On
I mean the login window shakes (thats how Apple design it when users enter wrong userID) but this time the userID is not wrong but the computer is not connect to Active Directory to authneticate. We are small company and we do not have IT person right now. Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7205 posts
9195 upvotes
The NORTH
lwlwlwlw wrote: I mean the login window shakes (thats how Apple design it when users enter wrong userID) but this time the userID is not wrong but the computer is not connect to Active Directory to authneticate. We are small company and we do not have IT person right now. Thank you.
Then who setup the mac or Active Directory?
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2007
1459 posts
1070 upvotes
Mississauga
lwlwlwlw wrote: Hi

so a couple of things

either its the wrong password
or it can't connect to its server

either way your IT department should be able to help
Oct 1, 2009
641 posts
296 upvotes
West coast
Can other devices connect to the wifi? I have a feeling your incorrectly putting info.
Mar 27, 2021
389 posts
474 upvotes
Where are you logging in from?

From home, from the office?

If there's no IT person, who gave you the macbook? They should have at least an outsourced consultant who takes care of these things.
Long Time RFDer / restarting life
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
6050 posts
5867 upvotes
Vancouver
Yes, first login will require a network connection. In general, the IT person should be onsite to make sure you can login correctly. Most users have docks but in your case a USB adapter should do the trick.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13234 posts
4845 upvotes
Ontario
Talk to your IT person at work. its very possible you need a Certificate to get onto your work wifi network and the mac may not have that setup properly so it will not work.
But either way this is a question for your work IT support person not for RFD.