Connecting 2 monitors to laptop

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2021 3:01 pm
[OP]
Jun 5, 2007
64 posts
33 upvotes

Connecting 2 monitors to laptop

Hello all, kind of a noob question here. Can anyone recommend an adapter so that I can hook up 2 monitors in addition to my windows laptop, so 3 workable screens in total?

I'm not sure what the best option would be. Use one hdmi port and a hdmi to usb(c) adaptor for the second?

Thank you in advance.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2320 posts
913 upvotes
Toronto
You need to tell us what output you have on your laptop. It sounds like you have an HDMI and an USB-C port. Is this correct?

If yes, then I would suggest this one for $120 -> https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08FQN8VZD/

I have 2 of them and they work great. They will charge your laptop too if your laptop charges via the USB-C port and output to multiple monitors via the USB-C dock. I think plugging in power to the USB-C port will also provide power your external harddrives too. I assume that's how it works. I had some cheaper USB-C docks that can only output to 1 monitor but they don't work as good as this UOEOS one.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42060 posts
6641 upvotes
I am also able to hook up two portable monitors on my T480 in the following configurations:

1) USB 3.0 Powered
2) HDMI
3) USB C

It is possible. Or you can get a docking station if yours is a business laptop and use that instead.
Proud to be an Indian.
Jun 5, 2007
64 posts
33 upvotes
It’s a Lenovo legion laptop.
Has an HDMI and USB c along with other USB ports. It has a separated charging port for Lenovo’s.
Feb 19, 2014
2 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
HDMI -> Monitor 1
USB -C -> USB-C adaptor with HDMI output -> Monitor 2

As you only need HDMI output for the adaptor, you can find a cheap one without additional power supply on Amazon/Bestbuy...