• Feb 13th, 2023 4:51 pm
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1714 posts
719 upvotes
Vancouver

Connecting Ethernet RJ 45 connector or plug for multiple cables

See picture.

This is from my cable utility box; looks like i have CAT5E cables throughout my house for network connection.

I will need to finish the cable with a RJ45 connector or plug and test to see which cable feeds into which part of my house one by one, ouch..

Never done this before. Any tips from my fellow RFDers?
Images
  • 20230204_212402229_iOS.jpg
Last edited by Fantastical on Feb 4th, 2023 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
42 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6675 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
No photo. However, I would attach a small battery at once end and then a voltmeter at the other end. Or connect two wires and check for continuity at the other end.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1714 posts
719 upvotes
Vancouver
Attach photo now...i don't have a voltmeter. I guess i can test it using an old fashion way of connecting PC on one way and router on the other end.
batcave wrote: No photo. However, I would attach a small battery at once end and then a voltmeter at the other end. Or connect two wires and check for continuity at the other end.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6675 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
Fantastical wrote: Attach photo now...i don't have a voltmeter. I guess i can test it using an old fashion way of connecting PC on one way and router on the other end.
That might be the easiest way as you need to attach connectors anyway.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
2356 posts
1558 upvotes
Toronto
dirtmover wrote: Do yourself a favour and get yourself a network cable tester e.g. https://www.primecables.ca/p-395358-cab ... 5407-test2

It will test your terminations and let you identify your cable runs simultaneously.
Gee wrote: Just use a cheap cable tester

https://www.amazon.ca/Network-Tester-Co ... 08JQ6J6XZ/

Seriously cheap prices on both of these links.

Considering that over the years, I've spent hundreds on a tone, tester and crimpers. Wow.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Canuck_TO wrote: Seriously cheap prices on both of these links.

Considering that over the years, I've spent hundreds on a tone, tester and crimpers. Wow.
To be fair, these are nothing but continuity testers. Not really any smarter than a battery and an LED basically.

Proper testers are far more money but also tell you far more information.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4673 upvotes
Between Countries
Can't really see what's what in the picture very clearly but here's my take. You'd generally not terminate the cables with individual RJ45 connectors at this end. Instead, a patch panel would be the way to go. The source CAT5 cable from the telco company and house CAT5 would all be punched to the back of a patch panel. Then, have short patch cables from your router (or a larger separate switch linked to the router) plugged into the front of the patch panel. Then, terminate the ends of the CAT5 in each room with RJ45 jacks.

I don't think a cable tester is necessary in this case but it's a nice too have.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
Fantastical wrote: Attach photo now...i don't have a voltmeter. I guess i can test it using an old fashion way of connecting PC on one way and router on the other end.
Those aren't terminated for gigabit. From the looks of it, that's a phone distribution panel where all pairs are connected together. You'd have to remove the splice completely if you want to carry data.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
8929 posts
6615 upvotes
SW ON
Kasakato wrote: Those aren't terminated for gigabit. From the looks of it, that's a phone distribution panel where all pairs are connected together. You'd have to remove the splice completely if you want to carry data.
There are 4 blue, 4 grey and 1 white that are not terminated at all.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
3167 posts
3653 upvotes
Toronto
Hard to see what box is currently there, may be a P3000 Utility panel however not clear from the small view you have. A P3000 is an industry standard used in all new residential that is utilized for CATV/TEL providers so that all internal connections route through the box, and power is available to power up utility drop equipment.

I would personally connectorize all cables and label them for future use, i have done that at my home and in both my kids condominiums.

I suggest just borrowing a Network Cable Tester & Crimping Tool similar to ones linked however with the included punch down tool, very inexpensive. If purchasing i recommend a passthrough crimper as then you can use both regular and passthrough connectors, and believe me the passthrough makes putting on connectors easy whereas regular connectors are tough to get right unless you have very good eyes and have some experience. I went to passthrough a few years back and will never go back, 9+ out of 10 connectors are done right the first time, on regular connectors i was like 3 right out of 10 first time and that is being generous...haha.

You also require cat6/6a connectors (passthrough preferable if your crimp tool allows), and a few cat6/6a keystones, although the keystones are likely already in place at the end user cable location. Match the termination pins outs of your existing outlet, or follow the T-568B or T-568A standard should be listed on the crimp tool itself. The tester in the kit is super easy and will verify all pins are in the correct sequence and that all are making contact.

I see you are in Vancouver so i am unable to drop off a package of everything needed to get things done, would have done a few just for the heck of it so that you would have been comfortable finishing.

Still for a $100 investment you can purchase the items and material and it is very easy to get done for a DIY'er. I suggest watching a youtube video it will be clear very quickly.

My kit came as my attached pic, i added the cat5e/cat6 connectors and keystones and an extra wire cutter. If running cables then solid for main runs, stranded for patch cords from wall plate to device. I use Belden Cat6a ethernet cables in 1000' rolls, however lots of manufacturers offer good products in various quantities.

20230205_163754.jpg
20230205_165321.jpg
“Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age.....and dreams are forever.”
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1714 posts
719 upvotes
Vancouver
Thx i bought the below package. Yes, i read some YouTube videos, and the key is to get the pass thru connector, which should make the job a lot easier.

I will try to connect those cable to the RJ 45connectors

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08V5B ... UTF8&psc=1
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: Hard to see what box is currently there, may be a P3000 Utility panel however not clear from the small view you have. A P3000 is an industry standard used in all new residential that is utilized for CATV/TEL providers so that all internal connections route through the box, and power is available to power up utility drop equipment.

I would personally connectorize all cables and label them for future use, i have done that at my home and in both my kids condominiums.

I suggest just borrowing a Network Cable Tester & Crimping Tool similar to ones linked however with the included punch down tool, very inexpensive. If purchasing i recommend a passthrough crimper as then you can use both regular and passthrough connectors, and believe me the passthrough makes putting on connectors easy whereas regular connectors are tough to get right unless you have very good eyes and have some experience. I went to passthrough a few years back and will never go back, 9+ out of 10 connectors are done right the first time, on regular connectors i was like 3 right out of 10 first time and that is being generous...haha.

You also require cat6/6a connectors (passthrough preferable if your crimp tool allows), and a few cat6/6a keystones, although the keystones are likely already in place at the end user cable location. Match the termination pins outs of your existing outlet, or follow the T-568B or T-568A standard should be listed on the crimp tool itself. The tester in the kit is super easy and will verify all pins are in the correct sequence and that all are making contact.

I see you are in Vancouver so i am unable to drop off a package of everything needed to get things done, would have done a few just for the heck of it so that you would have been comfortable finishing.

Still for a $100 investment you can purchase the items and material and it is very easy to get done for a DIY'er. I suggest watching a youtube video it will be clear very quickly.

My kit came as my attached pic, i added the cat5e/cat6 connectors and keystones and an extra wire cutter. If running cables then solid for main runs, stranded for patch cords from wall plate to device.

20230205_163754.jpg20230205_165321.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
A tester will ensure that the ends are done correctly, if you're going to have plugs at the ends instead of a patch panel. You can easily switch two wires by accident when pushing them through the plugs or not have them crimped correctly, but still may have a signal. It'll be slower because of all the errors, though. If you use only a laptop and router and don't have an internet connection yet because it's a new house, the laptop might get an IP address from the router, but until you do a speedtest, you may not notice that the speed is slower than normal.

A tester will confirm to you that the eight wires are done correctly.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
3167 posts
3653 upvotes
Toronto
That kit should be all you need as it comes with everything including connectors. For the device end the cable is either terminated in the wall plate keystone or sitting coiled in the wall plate box itself, so you should not require extra keystones. If the keystone end is connected then match the pinouts on the other end or it will not work, if it is not connected then i would match the terminations on the existing active connection. Long as both ends of the same cable is terminated in the same manner on both ends of the same cable then things will work.

A hint for the passthrough is don't overpush the wire into the passtrough connector or once you crimp the wire and remove the pressure an individual strand may pull out of the pin. A better approach is to push the wires in snug but not overly so, then once you crimp all pins should make good contact as pressure is released.
“Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age.....and dreams are forever.”
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2005
5355 posts
2721 upvotes
WFH
Fantastical wrote: Correct, those 9 cables aren't terminated....that's why i am asking whether i need to add a RJ45 connector in order to use them....sounds like yes, so i bought the below package to DIY

just don't use the "finished" pic on that product page as a guide to what a properly terminated cable should look like :)
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
2356 posts
1558 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote: To be fair, these are nothing but continuity testers. Not really any smarter than a battery and an LED basically.

Proper testers are far more money but also tell you far more information.
I have continuity testers that give me information by wire and standards that the wire meets. I can add loopback connectors and such to trace out multiple network points at the same time but realistically I just need to know which wire goes to what pin as I know the wiring standards and such.
Basically, I can replace what I have for under $20 and get the same result.
I'm not looking at doing a certification test as no one wants to pay for that cost.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
2356 posts
1558 upvotes
Toronto
Fantastical wrote: Correct, those 9 cables aren't terminated....that's why i am asking whether i need to add a RJ45 connector in order to use them....sounds like yes, so i bought the below package to DIY

I've never used that type of tool but if it works and you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

Make sure that all of the cables are wired the same G,WG, WO, B, WB, O, WBr, Br (Green, White Green, White Orange, Blue, White Blue, Orange, White Brown, Brown) and connect them together into a network switch.
Make sure that the wires are pushed all of the way in, as far as they can go into the RJ45 connector, before you crimp. Look at the top and the sides of the connector to verify that the cables have bottomed out.
Take a look at some videos showing you how it's done before you waste the connectors getting it right.

At the other end, you can terminate them on wall plates with RJ45 jacks or just run the cable straight out to the device and put an RJ45 conencto on the end. Whatever you're happy with.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Canuck_TO wrote: I have continuity testers that give me information by wire and standards that the wire meets. I can add loopback connectors and such to trace out multiple network points at the same time but realistically I just need to know which wire goes to what pin as I know the wiring standards and such.
Basically, I can replace what I have for under $20 and get the same result.
I'm not looking at doing a certification test as no one wants to pay for that cost.
You can get that for $20? Got a link?
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)