Expired Hot Deals

Connecting Families Internet Offer - big YMMV

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2020 1:26 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 7, 2008
908 posts
331 upvotes
Okanagan

Connecting Families Internet Offer - big YMMV

Price:
$10/mt
The Government of Canada’s Connecting Families initiative, in partnership with Internet service providers (ISPs), helps eligible low-income Canadian families get home Internet services for $10 per month.
You need a letter with a code.
Not sure about east but in BC:

TELUS:
Home internet with up to 25 mbps download and 5 mbps upload speeds
300 GB monthly data allowance
No term required
FREE installation
10 telus.net email accounts
Norton Security Online protection for up to 2 Windows® PC, iOS®, or Android® devices

SHAW:
10 Mbps† download speeds
0.5 Mbps† upload speeds
100 GB data limit
Includes standard WiFi modem rental
No installation fees
10 @Shaw email addresses
Last edited by verby on Nov 22nd, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 10, 2008
14018 posts
28311 upvotes
I believe it’s 10mbps , not 150 or else what a hot deal lol. Telus is generous .Videotron is at 10 mbps
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
4288 posts
3330 upvotes
Ontario
Why is this a hot deal? The only people get it is random select few who are getting maximum child benefits from the feds? Most people here don't qualify simply because their not on the list.

People who are disabled, on ODSP also don't get it only people who have Maximum Child Benefits then randomly selected for the code.
---
Member
May 26, 2012
367 posts
205 upvotes
Montreal
In Quebec Videotron participates with their Hybrid Fibre 10 plan.
Fibre Hybrid 10
Download speed : 10 Mbps
Upload speed : 1,5 Mbps
Data cap : 25 Gb/month
If you go over 25 Gb you will be billed additional $3 per GB up to maximum of $100 per month.
This sounds like a trap for low-income people.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
2873 posts
2116 upvotes
Here's some insight on the Telus deal on this. I signed up a few days ago when I received the letter, there's a special department that you'll need to connect to, not sure if the IVR can transfer you directly (the IVR now asks "How can I help you today?" first), as I asked for loyalty to negotiate the TV rate again first.

It's basically Internet 25: 25mbps down, 5mbps up. They also toss in unlimited internet, by adding the unlimited internet addon and adding the discount for it (but you might be on the hook for the taxes still, but I'm not complaining). Installation should be free and there's no contract on it (but I'm a existing customer with a year on the contract still..) and all they ask for is the code on the letter. Some agents might be confused about it, as I heard my agent from loyalty look up info and say something about it just being started.

The agent that moved me onto the plan said that in two years, they will reconsider this initiative so it may be possible that it's not permanent, but according to the email they sent me a day later, there's no expiry on the dedicated plan for this nor the discounts they added to my account.

Telus is amazing, they upgrade my internet by tossing in unlimited (already had Internet 25) and lowered the rate to next to nothing. Thank you Telus!

Edit: just some more info on this, codes were sent out to 200k people who qualify for max CCB and got selected randomly. They also send out refurbished computers to eligible people, I believe they got like 50k units to give away but I have to check the FAQ for the correct info again.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 7, 2008
908 posts
331 upvotes
Okanagan
Why? because there are some families who can't afford fully loaded internet/tv etc. IMO for them it is hot deal to stay connected and take advantage of this plan.
kanechart wrote: Why is this a hot deal? The only people get it is random select few who are getting maximum child benefits from the feds? Most people here don't qualify simply because their not on the list.

People who are disabled, on ODSP also don't get it only people who have Maximum Child Benefits then randomly selected for the code.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
4288 posts
3330 upvotes
Ontario
verby wrote: Why? because there are some families who can't afford fully loaded internet/tv etc. IMO for them it is hot deal to stay connected and take advantage of this plan.
But the only people who can get this is the people who got mailed about it....
---
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 13, 2009
1658 posts
1641 upvotes
Are you in Ontario? It seems in Ontario, it’s only bell and Rogers so I just wanted to confirm. Bell seems to only give 1 year of the promo.
IEpicDestroyer wrote: Here's some insight on the Telus deal on this. I signed up a few days ago when I received the letter, there's a special department that you'll need to connect to, not sure if the IVR can transfer you directly (the IVR now asks "How can I help you today?" first), as I asked for loyalty to negotiate the TV rate again first.

It's basically Internet 25: 25mbps down, 5mbps up. They also toss in unlimited internet, by adding the unlimited internet addon and adding the discount for it (but you might be on the hook for the taxes still, but I'm not complaining). Installation should be free and there's no contract on it (but I'm a existing customer with a year on the contract still..) and all they ask for is the code on the letter. Some agents might be confused about it, as I heard my agent from loyalty look up info and say something about it just being started.

The agent that moved me onto the plan said that in two years, they will reconsider this initiative so it may be possible that it's not permanent, but according to the email they sent me a day later, there's no expiry on the dedicated plan for this nor the discounts they added to my account.

Telus is amazing, they upgrade my internet by tossing in unlimited (already had Internet 25) and lowered the rate to next to nothing. Thank you Telus!

Edit: just some more info on this, codes were sent out to 200k people who qualify for max CCB and got selected randomly. They also send out refurbished computers to eligible people, I believe they got like 50k units to give away but I have to check the FAQ for the correct info again.
Wallet safe...
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
2873 posts
2116 upvotes
D0ntgiveajack wrote: Are you in Ontario? It seems in Ontario, it’s only bell and Rogers so I just wanted to confirm. Bell seems to only give 1 year of the promo.
I remember Bell and Rogers are participating but I think it’s only 10mbps. I still have it with Telus, which is giving more than the requirement to participate in the program.

I also never got the promised computer... :(
Newbie
Oct 7, 2019
1 posts
2 upvotes
So i am in NB.. And recieved the letter a couple weeks ago. Called the number on the letter which told me i had to go online to sign up. So using someone elses internet i did, and filled out for the $10.00 deal for the internet. Had a choice Bell or Rogers. I choose Bell and called them. I recieved the deal..and said i would be sent a modem. Lost in the mail... The first one..and so i called back. Got another sent to me..and still nothing recieved. So i called Bell back.. Said the postal office recieved it.. Heres their number and the tracking number for the modem.
So i called Canada Post.. With the tracking number.. They confirmed my address. Bell only put an in complete address... No apt number..and left south off the end of my street. So after it was corrected.. 2 days later.. I recieved 2 modems.. Which one do i connect.. Tried both .got the right one and then called bell to complete the process.. Working great.
That was a week ago.. And today i recieved the computer. So 1 month it took..and they said 30-45 days.. It setup easy.. HP computer (refurbished..but has Windows 10 on it)and Lg flat screen monitor. (New) new keyboard and mouse. Works great.
So all i can say is ty and my son is very happy too.
Banned
User avatar
Jul 18, 2020
52 posts
44 upvotes
Montreal
my experience with Videotron's Connecting Families program;

Of course, I went over the alloted 100gb.
There is NO data block purchase available. (contrary to initial contract!)
Ended up with a 126 $ bill I had to argue to get it corrected.
Looking for another ISP now.

Top