Connecting a Multi-monitor setup questions

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 4:45 pm
[OP]
Aug 24, 2009
92 posts
6 upvotes

Connecting a Multi-monitor setup questions

Hi, I have a setup I'm trying to make work and wanted some suggestions since I'm not too well versed in this area.

I have two identical 28" monitors, one 24" monitor and a TV that I would like to all hook up with my PC.
My video card has the following connectors: Displayport, HDMI, DVI
I'm planning on connecting One 28" to Displayport, One 28" to HDMI, 24" to DVI.

I think my issue is pretty obvious here, I don't have enough connectors to my PC for my TV. Is there a way around this? by using some sort of splitter for example if that exists?
If it's not possible to get my TV connected with my other 3 monitors at the same time, is there some sort of switch that I can easily connect it to so that all I have to do is press the switch and it switches one of my monitors off and connects my TV in place of it?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
4 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1190 posts
442 upvotes
NightShark wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 12:15 pm
1. some cards have 3 output ports but only 2 of them can be active.
To be checked with card manual

2. One DisplayPort can hold more than 1 monitor if monitors have DP in and DP-out.
https://www.displayport.org/cables/driv ... rt-output/

3. Unless you play very-wide-angle games -- for usual work, two 28'' would be more than enough.

4. There are USB adapters that can provide video independent from main graphic card, for example:
https://www.amazon.ca/Anker-Adapter-Sup ... 52XYJ2565D

5. Do you really need TV as fourth monitor?
There are many inexpensive boxes, mini-PC and even usb keys that
can provide streaming and pc-type functionality to TV.

Cheers!
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3016 posts
452 upvotes
Markham, ON
Get a second GPU.
AVOID buying dashcams from BlackBoxMyCar (BBMC) Read about their lies and unethical tactics HERE.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7737 posts
4535 upvotes
Edmonton
Amazon (and others) have HDMI switches, if that's the route you want to go. Or get a second video card, as mentioned above. Or you can get a splitter which would mirror the HDMI display to two devices. Depends on what you want to accomplish, so you might want to be more specific about your goals.

C
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18213 posts
4783 upvotes
Is every display unique (as in what it's displaying?) If so, you need an additional video card.

If you're mirroring anything, an HDMI switch will do just fine.

(Assuming you're gaming) figure out what monitors you game on and hook it to your existing GPU.
Then buy a 2nd cheap GPU (literally cheapest you can find that has the ports you need) for 2D work.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)