Cons of buying property which had minor grow-op 12 years before

• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2021 7:28 pm
[OP]
Jan 20, 2020
2 posts

Cons of buying property which had minor grow-op 12 years before

Hi All,

I am looking for a property where owner has mentioned that Property contained minor grow-op 12 years ago (3 owners ago). Professionally inspected and remediated. All City document new permits are available.

I was looking for Cons for buying a grow-op property and was getting mixed review from the web.

Please provide your advice/experience.
8 replies
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10082 posts
9911 upvotes
Markham
If any remediation happened, I highly doubt this was so minor. Anyway, the main issues you may have are moisture induced like mould and to see if the electrial system is done correctly. Other than those two, you're looking at stigmatization issues. Basically, people dont like places that were grow-ops.
Oct 21, 2006
748 posts
501 upvotes
def check for moisture issues, a proper home inspection doesn't hurt either
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
4327 posts
3909 upvotes
Ottawa
Financing, if needed, may be an issue. Many mortgage lenders are hesitant to lend against previous grow ops.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
15114 posts
11598 upvotes
Tarrana
PASS! Remember, you will eventually have to sell this house and that will scare off a lot of buyers.
Mar 1, 2016
229 posts
172 upvotes
I would be concerned that there have been three owners in 12 years. Perhaps a coincidence, but it suggests to me that there is something less than ideal still going on with the house.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
1941 posts
583 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
JayLove06 wrote: PASS! Remember, you will eventually have to sell this house and that will scare off a lot of buyers.
But 12 year former grow op vs 32 years later when you sell, you might actually benefit from the price dip.
I once face the had a chance to get a low price house w/ that problem, but chose to opt out.
And also who know the future gonna be, maybe then all drug are free to use in future, I hate that idea but certainly Trudeau-alike is getting the country down to the cesspool.
<No Anti-Liberal political content in signatures>
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
15114 posts
11598 upvotes
Tarrana
napoleonbot wrote: But 12 year former grow op vs 32 years later when you sell, you might actually benefit from the price dip.
I once face the had a chance to get a low price house w/ that problem, but chose to opt out.
And also who know the future gonna be, maybe then all drug are free to use in future, I hate that idea but certainly Trudeau-alike is getting the country down to the cesspool.
Is it worth the risk? I just don't think it is....and who knows when they will sell it? Could be 5 years from now.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2177 posts
3840 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
The stigma associated with a former grow ops and one with high turn over isn't worth it. Unloading something like this in a hot market is challenging, in a buyer's market you will be giving it away for free so to speak.

Pass.
Realtor, Investor, CPA