Tags:
[OP]
Jun 21, 2017
60 posts
30 upvotes
Quebec

Considering a home beside walking path

Hi

I'm looking at a few different homes and one of my top picks has a neighborhood walking/access path beside it. It currently leads into a wooded area behind the lot and is only paved until the beginning of the area.

The path has metal chain link fencing on my side and the other neighbors, and as you walk along the path you can easily view the backyard. I suspect it would be possible to install privacy slats.

I've never owned a home beside one, what pros and cons I should consider?
11 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15005 posts
11533 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Cons: Dog walkers might walk into your backyard and take a poop or piss...and not picking up the poop.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Dec 12, 2011
203 posts
224 upvotes
Toronto
During the olden days when weed was illegal and i was much younger we would look for spots like this to smoke. Now everybody is puffing in the open so I am not sure if that would be an issue.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
2294 posts
1635 upvotes
GTA
I see quite a few houses in my neighbourhood that have this and yes backyard privacy may be an issue. You could always install fencing on your side of the chain link fence, slats or shrubs to shield the view.
Aug 11, 2019
203 posts
217 upvotes
Toronto
Won’t be much of an issue. Plant trees/shrubs as soon as you move in, and erect the largest fence possible (within reason).

Plenty of homeowners take parks and paths as an ‘extension’ of their yards, where they can play, relax, and walk around without having to do the maintaining and upkeep of them.
Full Time Realtor
GTA & Surrounding Areas
Jul 15, 2019
701 posts
565 upvotes
I had the chance to choose one of these lots so I went out to observe a community that had them.

Things that had me not choose that lot: Dogs pooping and peeing, kids biking through constantly, some kids like to play in the path... chalk the pavement and make noise. Teenagers like to hangout in these paths at night. Houses are built pretty close to the chain-linked fence, usually, you don't get to see how small the side of your lot is when there is another home that has this space too... but when it's against the fence you notice, makes it fairly tight to walk through that area. Some people plant shrubs and other privacies, and this takes up even more room, making that side of your house only useful for your children who can fit.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9200 posts
5050 upvotes
My biggest concern would be the security of my property. If the fence is something that can be climbed over, it may be a consideration. I am sure the neighbourhood is safe but maybe research the history of break-ins or problems in the neighbourhood. You may even consider speaking with people who might be your future neighbours to get a sense of issues they have had.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1214 posts
418 upvotes
BC
Avoid. I had a house with a public walkway next to it and it was a continual problem. Maybe because that area (NE Calgary) had some idiots. It depends on your neighbourhood, might not be a problem in OP’s case.

In my case it took several months before the city (or developer) put in posts to block cars. Yep, cars would blast through taking a short cut. Just a few feet from my livingroom wall.

Then there were the kids. One decided to steal mail from my house and other houses on her way home from school, to give the mail to her older brother who was looking for cheques. I figured out who was stealing the mail and informed the police, who got the kid to stop, no charges.

I had kids climbing from the walkway onto my garage roof, up to 10 at once I found when I got home from work. Later someone tried to set my garage on fire, the siding was burnt a small amount. I’m guessing the fire was started by the mail thief, or her brother who the police told me had previously used a knife to threaten someone.

Final straw was one night there was a group of noisy kids in back lane near the walkway. A few hours later I found my cat, dead, nearby. I later overheard some of those kids talking, and one of them talked about killing cats with a slingshot.

I sold that house. A few years later the city shut down that walkway and sold or gave the land to the neighbouring homes.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9200 posts
5050 upvotes
adams7 wrote: Avoid. I had a house with a public walkway next to it and it was a continual problem. Maybe because that area (NE Calgary) had some idiots. It depends on your neighbourhood, might not be a problem in OP’s case.

In my case it took several months before the city (or developer) put in posts to block cars. Yep, cars would blast through taking a short cut. Just a few feet from my livingroom wall.

Then there were the kids. One decided to steal mail from my house and other houses on her way home from school, to give the mail to her older brother who was looking for cheques. I figured out who was stealing the mail and informed the police, who got the kid to stop, no charges.

I had kids climbing from the walkway onto my garage roof, up to 10 at once I found when I got home from work. Later someone tried to set my garage on fire, the siding was burnt a small amount. I’m guessing the fire was started by the mail thief, or her brother who the police told me had previously used a knife to threaten someone.

Final straw was one night there was a group of noisy kids in back lane near the walkway. A few hours later I found my cat, dead, nearby. I later overheard some of those kids talking, and one of them talked about killing cats with a slingshot.

I sold that house. A few years later the city shut down that walkway and sold or gave the land to the neighbouring homes.
Wow, thanks for sharing that story. Funny how something so innocent like a pathway can lead to all kinds of unanticipated problems. At least City Council finally closed the pathway. Not hard to imagine what could have led to the closure.
Oct 30, 2017
619 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
It depends on the area. I don't know if break in is much of a concern since typically break ins occur through the front door when no one is in the house.

You may be able to get some discount when you buy the place, but then if you sell it later on it would be for slightly cheaper than a comparable house without the path.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9200 posts
5050 upvotes
MetalGear wrote: It depends on the area. I don't know if break in is much of a concern since typically break ins occur through the front door when no one is in the house.

You may be able to get some discount when you buy the place, but then if you sell it later on it would be for slightly cheaper than a comparable house without the path.
I am not sure if this is necessarily typical. Anyone I have known to get broken into wasn't from the front door. I am guessing the burglar likes to use the easiest and least noticeable way in.
Oct 30, 2017
619 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
choclover wrote: I am not sure if this is necessarily typical. Anyone I have known to get broken into wasn't from the front door. I am guessing the burglar likes to use the easiest and least noticeable way in.
That's interesting. I guess it depends on what kind of door one might have in the back - for example if one has a glass door then breaking it with something like a hammer might attract more attention (and take longer) than kicking in a regular door.

Either way even if we are talking about a regular house (without a walkway beside it) then if one is really motivated it's not that difficult to climb over a regular 6 ft fence.