• Jul 26th, 2015 10:25 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 11, 2011
14 posts
1 upvote

Considering a home darkroom

I am considering investing in equipment for a darkroom. I've looked online and have a pretty general idea on what I would be needing, but I would love your input on the necessary equipment, estimated cost and where I could get the general items from.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4552 posts
1108 upvotes
Toronto
There are a million websites and books out there that give this kind of information. Are you planning on developing film only, or also planning to make prints as well?
Jun 14, 2008
121 posts
12 upvotes
Regina
Watch garage sales or various used websites (Kijiji). There are still good deals to be had on equipment, although most of us got out of it about 20 years ago, sorry :) ! Setting up a home DR can be pricy, if you want good archival quality results. I know there are still some photo-coops or clubs around that may be a better option and give you access to decent enlargers, etc as well has help with the learning curve. What are you wanting to do; B&W, Color, printing, film dev only, etc? You can do film dev in a light bag on your kitchen table! All of it effects what you will have to buy for gear. Color is sometimes a challenge for home DR's simply because the of the need for precision temp control which can mean some expensive plumbing solutions : ) .... All this being said, it's nice to see some folks still interested in the Darkroom Arts! ... BFA grad speaking here :) ... good luck and enjoy, it can be allot of fun and very rewarding
Mar 7, 2015
42 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It is always good to be old school. it is cool.
[OP]
Aug 11, 2011
14 posts
1 upvote
cqdx wrote: Watch garage sales or various used websites (Kijiji). There are still good deals to be had on equipment, although most of us got out of it about 20 years ago, sorry :) ! Setting up a home DR can be pricy, if you want good archival quality results. I know there are still some photo-coops or clubs around that may be a better option and give you access to decent enlargers, etc as well has help with the learning curve. What are you wanting to do; B&W, Color, printing, film dev only, etc? You can do film dev in a light bag on your kitchen table! All of it effects what you will have to buy for gear. Color is sometimes a challenge for home DR's simply because the of the need for precision temp control which can mean some expensive plumbing solutions : ) .... All this being said, it's nice to see some folks still interested in the Darkroom Arts! ... BFA grad speaking here :) ... good luck and enjoy, it can be allot of fun and very rewarding
Would you be able to give me more information on the co-ops/clubs that you mentioned? I've been looking for this kind of service for a while with no luck.

Also, for those asking, I am mostly looking to most likely develop colour or B/W for now and see how that goes before doing some printing.
Aug 24, 2008
71 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Check out Gallery 44 in downtown Toronto. It has darkroom space for members.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4552 posts
1108 upvotes
Toronto
milkandcookies wrote: Would you be able to give me more information on the co-ops/clubs that you mentioned? I've been looking for this kind of service for a while with no luck.

Also, for those asking, I am mostly looking to most likely develop colour or B/W for now and see how that goes before doing some printing.
Developing colour film requires a lot of precision and is pretty unforgiving. Slight changes in time and temperature can shift the colour dramatically. My suggestion would be to start with B&W and get very good at it first. Local community colleges, continuing-ed programs through the school boards etc. will likely have courses.
Mar 7, 2015
42 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This is just wow! I don't have nothing to say. This one of my dreams. Good luck to you! ;)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)