• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2021 11:25 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 23, 2017
208 posts
60 upvotes

Considering leasing a F150

I've grown fond of F150 recently. Seriously considering leasing one.
I've done some research and so far there are a few questions I am still unclear

1. Does the 4x4 Auto option only come to Lariat and higher-end trims?

2. Does all Canadian F150 come with a 130Litre Fuel tank?

I would like to choose a Suprecrew+5.5' bed, v8 engine model, but the package option on Ford Canada is confusing.

Besides, is there any other option/accessories I should choose so I can make my life easier?
Do I need to prepare snow tires for the truck?

For the context, I am not expecting to tow anything. It will just be a truck that I drive around on the paved road and I might occasionally doing some light offroad. Most of the time the truck will be used for Costco shopping.
39 replies
Mar 28, 2016
208 posts
192 upvotes
I used to own a F150 so I know a bit

1. 4x4 is not standard, it’s an option that needs to be chosen and can be done on any trim.

2. I know in the past the bigger fuel tank was an option, but I just built one on the Ford website and it shows if you select the 4x4 option the 130L tank is already included.

3. Not sure what’s confusing for you on the site but it’s pretty straight forward. Once you select Supercrew select the 5 1/2 box and choose what trim you want, XLT, Lariat, etc. Go down to power train and select V8 on the bottom.

4. As for options it all comes down to you and what you’re using the truck for. Obviously if you’re doing some towing you would want the tow package. I suggest watching some YouTube videos on the 2020/2021 F150, there are hundreds of people who go in depth on the certain packages and what’s included in them. You said you'll be hauling groceries so I would suggest getting the spray in bed liner to avoid scratching the bed.

5. As for snow tires, again that’s personal preference and if it fits in your budget. The truck can get by with the stock tires and 4x4. Having designated snow tires in the winter is obviously better and safer. I always get snow tires for my vehicles. For a decent set of snow tires on steel rims will cost anywhere from $1200-$1600 with balancing and installation.

6. Definitely test drive one and try to test one that has the options you want or looking to want. It will give you a better idea if it suits your lifestyle or not. And it’s doesn’t hurt to go to the closest Ford dealer and asking someone to give you a rundown of the truck. But as I suggested, lots of people on YouTube already do that. I will post some links here for you to watch.

Hope this helps, cheers!
Last edited by xViLLn on Feb 15th, 2021 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jun 23, 2017
208 posts
60 upvotes
thanks! I will do more homework on this!
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25348 posts
4456 upvotes
Yes, the 4x4 auto only comes on the higher trims. It's not really necessary though. If the roads are bad, just engage 4x4. If you haven't driven a RWD vehicle before, it will take some time to get used to. Take it slow in the snow until you get used to it.
[OP]
Jun 23, 2017
208 posts
60 upvotes
btw, I played around with the options a few times, but I still can't find where they show the fuel tank size. :facepalm:
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25348 posts
4456 upvotes
Andrewhl wrote: btw, I played around with the options a few times, but I still can't find where they show the fuel tank size. :facepalm:
It's not an option, it will automatically be included.
[OP]
Jun 23, 2017
208 posts
60 upvotes
i got that, but I thought there would be a place where you can look up specifications for different trims. That's why I said Ford Canada website is a bit confusing lol. But as long as there will be a large fuel tank I'm fine
[OP]
Jun 23, 2017
208 posts
60 upvotes
Shaner wrote: Yes, the 4x4 auto only comes on the higher trims. It's not really necessary though. If the roads are bad, just engage 4x4. If you haven't driven a RWD vehicle before, it will take some time to get used to. Take it slow in the snow until you get used to it.
Never drove such a large RWD in Canada before. I definitely need to take a test drive to see how the ones without 4A feels
Mar 28, 2016
208 posts
192 upvotes
Andrewhl wrote: btw, I played around with the options a few times, but I still can't find where they show the fuel tank size. :facepalm:
Go under exterior options it will be listed there "Extended range 136L fuel tank"
[OP]
Jun 23, 2017
208 posts
60 upvotes
xViLLn wrote: Go under exterior options it will be listed there "Extended range 136L fuel tank"
Found it! I can't believe I kept missing them for a whole night. Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9150 posts
3405 upvotes
Shaner wrote: Yes, the 4x4 auto only comes on the higher trims. It's not really necessary though. If the roads are bad, just engage 4x4. If you haven't driven a RWD vehicle before, it will take some time to get used to. Take it slow in the snow until you get used to it.
What I find nice about the 4A mode is it allows for those times between good and bad roads. When you don't "need" 4hi but would like better traction it fills that void. As it is a full time mode which can be driven at any speed or road conditions, where 4hi is part time and must be able to slip.

I also call it "wife mode". When Wifey drove the Armada, I would set it to 4A when I put the winter tires on in Dec and back to 2wd when I took them off in March.

Even myself, I use it often when I wouldn't other wise use 4wd.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15639 posts
16790 upvotes
Oakville
Also considering a pickup truck for getting groceries. How many Kirkland packs of toilet paper can it haul?
Don't want it to get wet, so tonneau cover or bed cap?
[OP]
Jun 23, 2017
208 posts
60 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: What I find nice about the 4A mode is it allows for those times between good and bad roads. When you don't "need" 4hi but would like better traction it fills that void. As it is a full time mode which can be driven at any speed or road conditions, where 4hi is part time and must be able to slip.

I also call it "wife mode". When Wifey drove the Armada, I would set it to 4A when I put the winter tires on in Dec and back to 2wd when I took them off in March.

sounds perfect. I had a truck with both awd and 4x4, I end up almost never using the 4x4
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9150 posts
3405 upvotes
Andrewhl wrote: What's the deal with downvote?
On RFD, no one should consider owning a truck or large SUV as a Civic, Corolla or EV is better suited for them, since they only want a truck to get groceries anyway.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25348 posts
4456 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: What I find nice about the 4A mode is it allows for those times between good and bad roads. When you don't "need" 4hi but would like better traction it fills that void. As it is a full time mode which can be driven at any speed or road conditions, where 4hi is part time and must be able to slip.

Oh absolutely, but with the F150, you have to spend a lot of money just to get the auto 4x4 option. If I was in the market for an XLT, I definitely wouldn't spend 15k more to get that option. It's nice, but not necessary. Just have to take it easy with RWD and/or switch to 4x4 if roads are slippery.

I've had trucks so long I forget what it's like to drive FWD. Most of the time I don't even engage 4x4 unless I'm to the point where I'm just spinning my tires and wasting gas. Definitely takes some getting used to for drivers not used to RWD though, especially with no weight in the back.
Sep 15, 2017
483 posts
467 upvotes
Upvoted to make the chronic downvoters seething mad.
[OP]
Jun 23, 2017
208 posts
60 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: On RFD, no one should consider owning a truck or large SUV as a Civic, Corolla or EV is better suited for them, since they only want a truck to get groceries anyway.
:facepalm: :facepalm:
One of the reasons I immigrate here is there are so many big toys one can get on the road lol
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9150 posts
3405 upvotes
Andrewhl wrote: :facepalm: :facepalm:
One of the reasons I immigrate here is there are so many big toys one can get on the road lol
Don't worry, there is enough of us large vehicle lovers on RFD to get some value, you just have to weed through the jealous puddle jumper owners sometimes to get it.