Apr 30, 2020
325 posts
348 upvotes
Vancouver
i think RFD needs an official coffee thread in the discussion forums
Feb 16, 2004
877 posts
104 upvotes
evanwier wrote: The shot comparison between the two is night and day though. And I say that as a Breville owner; but, it would be delusional to say they are in the same ballpark of quality espresso pulls
I agree with this.

As someone who had a barista express for years and “upgraded” to the Gaggia, the shot quality is not in the same ballpark.
Jan 5, 2017
316 posts
216 upvotes
montreal
doublejack wrote: I agree with this.

As someone who had a barista express for years and “upgraded” to the Gaggia, the shot quality is not in the same ballpark.
Just to make sure I understand fully....you're implying that the shot quality is better with the Gaggia, compared to Barista Express...correct?
Feb 16, 2004
877 posts
104 upvotes
seanns32 wrote: Just to make sure I understand fully....you're implying that the shot quality is better with the Gaggia, compared to Barista Express...correct?
Yes. And the crema that it produces is just gorgeous. The gaggia is built like a tank and used multiple times daily. The Breville was great to learn on, but once I got the hang of timing my shots and dialing in properly, the gaggia was a great improvement.

The OPs combo is probably the best value I’ve seen. I would pay a bit more for the eureka grinder though, but at $720 that is an unbelievable value for espresso.
Last edited by doublejack on Jan 31st, 2023 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 24, 2014
335 posts
392 upvotes
doublejack wrote:
I agree with this.

Same here. I have my barista express for 4+ years before it slowing leaking water outside the portafilter head.

The Gaggia was on the list for possible replacements. Decided to go with the Flair 58 as I mainly drink espresso and americano. Plus, it's fun to manually push down the lever and experiment different pull shots.
Wear shoes instead of sandals or going barefoot when walking to the smoker/grill.
Apr 30, 2020
325 posts
348 upvotes
Vancouver

same grinder?
Feb 16, 2004
877 posts
104 upvotes
uofs09 wrote: Same here. I have my barista express for 4+ years before it slowing leaking water outside the portafilter head.

The Gaggia was on the list for possible replacements. Decided to go with the Flair 58 as I mainly drink espresso and americano. Plus, it's fun to manually push down the lever and experiment different pull shots.
I was debating getting a flair. Nice machine.

I could tell that there’s no way the breville was going to last the amount of shots we were putting it through. The flair will last a lifetime, and when something goes on the gaggia, I will be able to buy the part and fix it. If we were drinking one shot here and there, a breville might last 5 or 10 years, but at 4 shots a day I don’t think it would have made it very far.
Feb 16, 2004
877 posts
104 upvotes
resare wrote: same grinder?
No the grinder was upgrade to a jx pro hand grinder then a eureka specialita, so it’s not a fair comparison. I think the barista express made good espresso, but my combo now of the gaggia and eureka makes amazing espresso with the same beans. I’m sure I could pay thousands more for a better combo, but this is perfect for me. And if this combo was around that OP posted, I think I would have gone for this and been happy. Great deal. Wish I needed a 4th machine lol
Mar 6, 2011
62 posts
45 upvotes
CAN
good espresso machine. shit grinder. can't get the grinds fine enough for proper espresso
Apr 30, 2020
325 posts
348 upvotes
Vancouver
Yeah i think the brevilles make pretty good espresso but the grinders hold them back. Adequate yes, but just barely
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1397 posts
356 upvotes
I have the gaggia with a PID mod - I DIYd mine with a raspberry pi. It’s a tank and after adding the Pid and doing the spring mod it produces really fantastically consistent espresso

Before the Pid it was good but inconsistent because of temp surfing.

EDIT: I have a Eureka Mignon Silenzio grinder. I like it, but I really wish it had a bypass so I can switch beans sometimes.
Xbox Live Gamertag: iEATkittens
Heatware: [url=http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=19658]26-0-0
Oct 17, 2003
516 posts
149 upvotes
Fredericton

Really? I mean I can pull better shots with my Lelit Anna 2 at home compared to the office barista express, there was a large difference because the eureka oro single dose grinder at home and temp controls on the lelit. But the GCP doesn't have PID, so you never really know where it is for temps, the BBE is more stable for that.

Now that I have the new eureka zero with the BBE, shots are pretty comparable with the lelit.

Even with the stock grinder, plenty of crema.

Too bad there are no 58mm, PID, preinfusion, OPV & pressure gauge machines for under $1700. Think the Lelit Victoria is the cheapest one on the market :(
Jul 11, 2009
833 posts
744 upvotes
Toronto
ieatkittens wrote: I have the gaggia with a PID mod - I DIYd mine with a raspberry pi. It’s a tank and after adding the Pid and doing the spring mod it produces really fantastically consistent espresso

Before the Pid it was good but inconsistent because of temp surfing.

EDIT: I have a Eureka Mignon Silenzio grinder. I like it, but I really wish it had a bypass so I can switch beans sometimes.
single dose beans to your grinder or switch to a Eureka Mignon Zero?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)