• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2017 8:07 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 28, 2015
10 posts
Toronto

Which console to buy

I'm gifting a console to my younger brother, i personally have never owned a console, I know there is PS4 Slim/Pro & Xbox One S currently in the market, but my question is how long will these consoles last, Scorpio is coming later this year and Sony might release PS5 in 2018 or 2019, is it worth buying a console now, what happens to Xbox One S when Scorpio comes, will it be abandoned ? Also any benefit over buying a Pro over a Slim, i know Pro has some beefed up hardware that might last a little longer ?
Or should I wait for them to refresh, because seriously as a PC player i don't know whats up with Sony & Microsoft with these mid-cycle console refresh.
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5547 posts
1208 upvotes
calgary
The intention with these new consoles is to co-exist with the old ones.

To give you an example of this take what Apple has done with Ipad/Iphones. All of these work with the same OS, have access to the same app store, offer the same apps except the newer more expensive models offer better performance and a few other bells and whistles.

That is all you are getting here. For the recently released PS4Pro most of the games that take advantage of it just offer the same game in a native or checkerboarded 4K.
If your brother doesnt have a 4K TV and/or isnt very concerned about having the latest tech then Im sure he will be absolutely fine with a PS4 Slim or Xbox one S and you'll save some money in the process.
Aug 20, 2009
8284 posts
3236 upvotes
No one knows how long they will last. There are enough games in general this gen to make any console purchase worthwhile, just buy for now instead of tomorrow.

The three criteria I use are:

- Buy what he would play with friends
- Get him the one with the exclusives he likes more
- Buy whatever is within your budget

Personally when in doubt I recommend people get the PS4 simply because it has (IMO) a larger variety of genres and games available. It's also the market leader and friends are on average more likely to own it. With a PS4 and PC you can cover most of the spectrum now. I would get the Pro if it was me, with Scorpio coming this year we'll start seeing more and more titles make use of premium vs default quality settings. That's about the best you can do to "future proof" a console purchase right now.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2007
1199 posts
262 upvotes
Get the one with the games you want to play. It is always about the games and since you are a PC gamer already the PS4 is a better fit because of the vast amount of PS4 exclusives. Xbox Scorpio or not has games also on PC and a lack of exclusives down the line.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
4839 posts
164 upvotes
GTA
If it's going to be used for multiplayer, get him the one his friends have.
Rock it.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4151 posts
519 upvotes
whatever his friends are playing on.

There's also a new Nintendo system coming in out in a few weeks if he has an inclination for Mario & Co.

or hand-down an old PC and drop in a new video card and your Steam password.
Russell wrote: We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
8078 posts
1624 upvotes
nikolain wrote: I'm gifting a console to my younger brother, i personally have never owned a console, I know there is PS4 Slim/Pro & Xbox One S currently in the market, but my question is how long will these consoles last, Scorpio is coming later this year and Sony might release PS5 in 2018 or 2019, is it worth buying a console now, what happens to Xbox One S when Scorpio comes, will it be abandoned ? Also any benefit over buying a Pro over a Slim, i know Pro has some beefed up hardware that might last a little longer ?
Or should I wait for them to refresh, because seriously as a PC player i don't know whats up with Sony & Microsoft with these mid-cycle console refresh.
Pro just release this winter. you wont see PS5 until 2020 or winter of 2019 the earliest(unlikely as we're just mid cycle on the playstation at the moment).
[OP]
Jul 28, 2015
10 posts
Toronto
Ok thank you guys for your inputs, i think i will go with Xbox One S or the PS4 Slim after a coin toss Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4610 posts
1520 upvotes
Toronto
nikolain wrote: Ok thank you guys for your inputs, i think i will go with Xbox One S or the PS4 Slim after a coin toss Smiling Face With Open Mouth
LOL after all that, it's down to a coin toss! :P
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Temp. Banned
Jan 5, 2017
262 posts
213 upvotes
nikolain wrote: Ok thank you guys for your inputs, i think i will go with Xbox One S or the PS4 Slim after a coin toss Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Ask him what his friends have.
Game consoles are one of those few purchases where peer pressure is the best choice.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
2753 posts
2391 upvotes
Skynet Institute of …
nikolain wrote: I'm gifting a console to my younger brother, i personally have never owned a console, I know there is PS4 Slim/Pro & Xbox One S currently in the market, but my question is how long will these consoles last, Scorpio is coming later this year and Sony might release PS5 in 2018 or 2019, is it worth buying a console now, what happens to Xbox One S when Scorpio comes, will it be abandoned ? Also any benefit over buying a Pro over a Slim, i know Pro has some beefed up hardware that might last a little longer ?
How deep is ur love with ur younger bro? If deep ps4 pro + 4k tv
To the moon
[OP]
Jul 28, 2015
10 posts
Toronto
I bought a PS4 slim, he stays in India and i figured out that PS4 games are cheaper than Xbox games in India, besides PS4 has some good exclusives till now & looking forward to.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
991 upvotes
Vaughan
I'd buy a Switch.

[..]