PC & Video Games

Console Gaming General Discussion

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2020 4:36 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7952 posts
4571 upvotes
Toronto
mrtvgame wrote: You married with kids yet? I ask, as before marriage and then kids, there was more time and money for hobbies. Once they arrived, that time and money had to be shared. Winking Face
Married but no kids and not planning on it. Trust me I understand what comes with that and it doesn't align with our lifestyle or goals so we're sticking with no kids
Moderator
User avatar
Aug 20, 2009
7883 posts
2735 upvotes
Grimsby
bubaglobalj wrote: I'm turning 35 this year. About two years ago I lost pretty much all interest in gaming. You think I will ever get enjoyment out of gaming again, or is normal to lose interest with age?
I went through this like 5-6 years ago, it was really just a question of not playing things that really appealed to me. I figured out that my tastes had changed and experimented with different games in new genres and found a love for the hobby again. I'm a bit hobbled by tendonitis and other RSI issues now combined with a busy career and other responsibilities but I still play games and still love them. Take a break, play something you wouldn't normally and hopefully you'll have a similar experience.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2328 posts
356 upvotes
I'm hitting the mid 30's too. I haven't lost interest in gaming, but my patience has waned substantially. I'm honestly considering going console only next gen because I just don't care about maintaining my PC anymore.

And I was playing Divinity Original Sin 2 recently, which historically speaking I should adore, but I just can't get into it. It's too open-ended and obfuscate's the critical path too much. I don't feel like dumping 60-100 hours into most games anymore.
Member
Mar 20, 2009
462 posts
184 upvotes
Toronto
Ascott wrote: I'm hitting the mid 30's too. I haven't lost interest in gaming, but my patience has waned substantially. I'm honestly considering going console only next gen because I just don't care about maintaining my PC anymore.

And I was playing Divinity Original Sin 2 recently, which historically speaking I should adore, but I just can't get into it. It's too open-ended and obfuscate's the critical path too much. I don't feel like dumping 60-100 hours into most games anymore.
I'm slightly older and couldn't agree more on the patience aspect. Many games are going the cinematic and/or open-world route, and there is a place for them and I've enjoyed them (faves being TLOU1 and RDR2), but I'm taking a break from them for some time after finishing TLOU2 and deciding to bail on Days Gone. I looked back at the games I've put the most time in and they are gameplay focused multiplayer (COD free-for-all, Mario Kart, Rocket League, Gears Horde mode), so I'm going to do that for a while with the occasional short length linear single player game sprinkled in (things like INSIDE or Titanfall 2).
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8566 posts
2958 upvotes
Capcom updated their best-selling game franchises list after their recently released financial report:

They recently fired Ono who, according to rumors, wanted to introduce tag-team based
mechanics to Street Fighter VI (currently under-development).

Ono was blamed for Deep Down never coming to fruition, Marvel vs Capcom Infinite (PS4/XB1/PC) and Street Fighter X Tekken (PS3/360/PC)
selling below expectations.

Ono is credited for bringing back Street Fighter 4 to the mainstream after the Street Fighter series was dormant for 9 years
(gap between Street Fighter III: Third Strike 1999 to Street Fighter IV 2008).

Capcom's best-selling franchise Updates: (All-time sales)

Resident Evil - 103 Million +5M
Monster Hunter - 64 Million +1M
Street Fighter - 45 Million +1M
Devil May Cry series - 21 million
Dead Rising - 14 Million +1M
Marvel Vs Capcom - 9.6 Million +200K
Ace Attorney (Phoenix Wright) - 7.7 Million + 200K
Dragons Dogma - 5.3 Million +300K
Okami - 3.1 Million +100K

Monster Hunter Series:
Monster Hunter World - 16.1M +400K
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne - 5.8M +600K
Monster Hunter Generations: Ultimate - 4.4M +100K

Resident Evil Series:

RE5: 11.8 Million (All platforms combined)
RE6: 9.5 M
RE4: 9.2 M
RE7: 7.9 M
RE2 Remake: 7.2 M

Individual generation releases:

Resident Evil 7 - 7.9M +400K (PS4/XB1/PC)
Resident Evil 5 - 7.6M +100K (PS3/360/PC)
Resident Evil 6 - 7.6M +100K (PS3/360/PC)
Resident Evil 2: Remake - 7.2M +600K (PS4/XB1/PC)
Resident Evil (PS3/DL) - 2.8M +200K
Resident Evil 3: Remake - 2.7M *New Listing* (PS4/XB1/PC)
Resident Evil 0 HD - 2.6M +100K (PS4/XB1/PC)
Resident Evil 6 (PS4/X1) - 2.2M +200K (PS4/XB1/PC)
Resident Evil 4 (PS4/X1) - 1.9M +200K (PS4/XB1/PC)
Resident Evil 5 (PS4/X1) - 1.8M +100K (PS4/XB1/PC)
Resident Evil 4 HD (PC) - 1.2M +100K
Resident Evil 4 (360/PS3) - 1.2M *New Listing*

Street Fighter:
Street Fighter V - 4.7M +200K (PS4/PC)
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection - 1.4M +200K (PS4/XB1/Switch/PC)

Devil May Cry:
Devil May Cry 5 - 3.7M +200K (PS4/XB1/PC)
DmC: Devil May Cry - 2.4M +100K (PS3/360/PC)
DmC: Devil May Cry DE - 1.1M *New Listing* (PS4/XB1/PC)

Dead Rising (only recent releases listed)
Dead Rising 3 - 2.8M +100K (XBox One)
Dead Rising port (PS4/X1/PC) - 1.1M *New Listing*
Dead Rising 4 - 1.1M +100K (XBox One)

Misc:
Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite - 1.5M +100K (PS4/XB1/PC)
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (PS4/X1/PC) - 1M *New Listing*
Okami HD - 1.4M +200K (PS4/XB1/Switch/PC)
Strider (PS4/X1/360/PS3/PC) - 1M *New Listing*
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (PS4/X1/DL) - 1.2M +200K

sources:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html
https://www.resetera.com/threads/capcom ... ed.267912/
(Jawmuncher)
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1897 posts
574 upvotes
Toronto
I've been going through my PS4 backlog these days.

I just completed Danganronpa 1-2 Reload. I can't believe I sat on these games for a while.

Pros: Gripping murder mysteries, great style, quirky characters, BGM

Cons: Big picture story is bizzare/uninteresting, the gameplay during the trials are sometimes a chore.

I'll check out Danganronpa V3 when its on sale.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4413 posts
1375 upvotes
Toronto
Battletoads came out last night on Game Pass and the gameplay is not bad. The visuals are interesting but it definitely takes a while to get used to if you're expecting a certain art style. The humour is hit and miss, with some of the dialogue being absolutely cringe-worthy and embarrassing. But when it hits, it's pretty funny. The whole 2nd "level"/minigame had me smiling.

Combat isn't bad - it's your typical beat-em-up with combos and juggling that controls pretty responsively. The three toads all play differently, which is nice. I've only played a couple levels, but I can say that difficulty-wise, the speeder bike level isn't going to make you throw your controller Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes. There's also three levels of difficulty, and I've been playing on normal and it's fine.

The one biggest negative is a lack of online multiplayer from what I can tell... It does couch co-op but I don't think you can play with others online. I'd say it's well worth a look anyway.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7952 posts
4571 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote: Battletoads came out last night on Game Pass and the gameplay is not bad. The visuals are interesting but it definitely takes a while to get used to if you're expecting a certain art style. The humour is hit and miss, with some of the dialogue being absolutely cringe-worthy and embarrassing. But when it hits, it's pretty funny. The whole 2nd "level"/minigame had me smiling.

Combat isn't bad - it's your typical beat-em-up with combos and juggling that controls pretty responsively. The three toads all play differently, which is nice. I've only played a couple levels, but I can say that difficulty-wise, the speeder bike level isn't going to make you throw your controller Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes. There's also three levels of difficulty, and I've been playing on normal and it's fine.

The one biggest negative is a lack of online multiplayer from what I can tell... It does couch co-op but I don't think you can play with others online. I'd say it's well worth a look anyway.
These Game Pass games keep getting added faster than I can keep up. Honestly if it's anything like SOR4 I'll probably enjoy it for a few hours before the novelty wears off. This beat em up genre just hasn't aged well for me and doesn't hit like it did back in the SNES era. SOR4 was really well made and I enjoyed it for the first 4-5 missions but quickly got tired of the old school cheese fest gameplay and never ended up finishing it.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 5, 2001
6465 posts
4457 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote: Battletoads came out last night on Game Pass and the gameplay is not bad. The visuals are interesting but it definitely takes a while to get used to if you're expecting a certain art style. The humour is hit and miss, with some of the dialogue being absolutely cringe-worthy and embarrassing. But when it hits, it's pretty funny. The whole 2nd "level"/minigame had me smiling.

Combat isn't bad - it's your typical beat-em-up with combos and juggling that controls pretty responsively. The three toads all play differently, which is nice. I've only played a couple levels, but I can say that difficulty-wise, the speeder bike level isn't going to make you throw your controller Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes. There's also three levels of difficulty, and I've been playing on normal and it's fine.

The one biggest negative is a lack of online multiplayer from what I can tell... It does couch co-op but I don't think you can play with others online. I'd say it's well worth a look anyway.
Worst decision was lack of online co-op. Was looking forward to replacing a night of Warzone with this. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7952 posts
4571 upvotes
Toronto
9394 wrote: Worst decision was lack of online co-op. Was looking forward to replacing a night of Warzone with this. Face With Tears Of Joy
Even if it had online co-op I'd never be able to take advantage of it because none of my friends play games like this and are all playing Warzone
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 12, 2005
9727 posts
1841 upvotes
Victoria
bubaglobalj wrote: I'm turning 35 this year. About two years ago I lost pretty much all interest in gaming. You think I will ever get enjoyment out of gaming again, or is normal to lose interest with age?
I'm in my 40s and I still like to game. The things that have changed are the available time to game (or how much time I can allocate to gaming). I pretty much now play single player AAA single player titles, so there's a a start and an end. It's taking me longer than ever before to finish them. There's no way I have the time to keep up with any kind of online multiplayer games. I'm glad a few companies still make single player games. The nice thing too is single player games aren't nearly as common as they used to be (at least in the genres I like). It means I find one I want to play, it takes me a month or two to finish it, then I don't game for a while, until the next one comes out. Seems to be an ok balance.
Moderator
User avatar
Aug 20, 2009
7883 posts
2735 upvotes
Grimsby
I tried Battletoads last night and it's totally fine I guess. It's a decent little beat em up but nothing to write home about. Having played for 45 minutes I don't feel any huge desire to keep going. That's sort of like the original which I've realized was only viewed favorably through my childhood nostalgia goggles. I'm shocked this thing does not have online co-op though. Seems like a pretty bizarre omission, I would probably play a bit more if I could fart around with someone else. No wonder Microsoft put it out quietly on a Thursday.

What I'm really wanting now is a Final Fight or Double Dragon re-imagining.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7952 posts
4571 upvotes
Toronto
zod wrote: I'm glad a few companies still make single player games. The nice thing too is single player games aren't nearly as common as they used to be (at least in the genres I like).
What genres do you like? I mostly play single player as well but I would say we've been in a golden age of single slayer games for at least the past 5-6 years now as there's been more high quality single player games coming out across nearly every genre more so than ever before
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 12, 2005
9727 posts
1841 upvotes
Victoria
ReeGee wrote: What genres do you like? I mostly play single player as well but I would say we've been in a golden age of single slayer games for at least the past 5-6 years now as there's been more high quality single player games coming out across nearly every genre more so than ever before
I seem to really like 3rd person games. Medieval set RPGs (Skyrim, Dragon Age, etc..), Hack n' Slash (God of War, etc..), Action/Adventure (Uncharted, New Tomb Raider games, Last of Us),

I would say my favourite games of this gen would be:

Dragon Age Inquisition
God of War
Infamous Second Son
Ratchet and Clank
Tomb Raider (whichever ones came out this gen)
Ghosts of Tsushima
Last of Us II
Uncharted 4 and the DLC spinoff
Spider-Man
Red Dead Redemption II
Witcher 3
Horizon Zero Dawn
Darksiders III?

It seems like a lot, but this generation is what 6 years in? so that's a couple of year. Very heavy on the PS4 games. I'd have a lot less single player games I'd feel like playing if I took out the Sony Exclusives :( It also felt like a big gap between whatever came out before Last of Us II and Last of Us II. Then we got Last of Us II and Ghost of Tsushima back to back which is pretty rare.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7952 posts
4571 upvotes
Toronto
zod wrote: It seems like a lot, but this generation is what 6 years in? so that's a couple of year. Very heavy on the PS4 games. I'd have a lot less single player games I'd feel like playing if I took out the Sony Exclusives :( It also felt like a big gap between whatever came out before Last of Us II and Last of Us II. Then we got Last of Us II and Ghost of Tsushima back to back which is pretty rare.
It makes sense you feel the way you do as you are somewhat limiting yourself by only playing popular AAA published 3rd person games which I would agree those releases are few and far between, especially the PS4 exclusives. If you branch out more into multiplatform and "AA" or indie publishers then there's a lot you've maybe missed and would probably enjoy.

Off the top of my head some recent games I'd recommend in the 3rd person action/adventure genre you gravitate towards are Hitman 1-2, Jedi Fallen Order, Yakuza 0, AC Origins/Odyssey, Watch Dogs 2, A Plague Tale, and if you can get your hands on a Xbox/PC or Switch/WiiU there's Gears 4-5, BOTW, Bayonetta 2, Crackdown 3, Quantum Break, Control (haven't played this but hear it's good). These are just the ones in the somewhat limited genre you like and I'm probably forgetting a bunch.

If you branch out into other genres and styles then the list grows exponentially with tons of highly praised single player games like Prey, DOOM 2016, Wolfenstien TNO, Metro Exodus, Halo MCC, SOMA, Life Is Strange, Firewatch, Persona 5, Divinity OS2, Xcom 2 etc and that's without really digging into indies or niche genres like platformers, racing, sims, sports, RTS etc.

Top