• Oct 30th, 2020 3:37 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9730 posts
1841 upvotes
Victoria
ReeGee wrote: It makes sense you feel the way you do as you are somewhat limiting yourself by only playing popular AAA published 3rd person games which I would agree those releases are few and far between, especially the PS4 exclusives. If you branch out more into multiplatform and "AA" or indie publishers then there's a lot you've maybe missed and would probably enjoy.

Off the top of my head some recent games I'd recommend in the 3rd person action/adventure genre you gravitate towards are Hitman 1-2, Jedi Fallen Order, Yakuza 0, AC Origins/Odyssey, Watch Dogs 2, A Plague Tale, and if you can get your hands on a Xbox/PC or Switch/WiiU there's Gears 4-5, BOTW, Bayonetta 2, Crackdown 3, Quantum Break, Control (haven't played this but hear it's good). These are just the ones in the somewhat limited genre you like and I'm probably forgetting a bunch.

If you branch out into other genres and styles then the list grows exponentially with tons of highly praised single player games like Prey, DOOM 2016, Wolfenstien TNO, Metro Exodus, Halo MCC, SOMA, Life Is Strange, Firewatch, Persona 5, Divinity OS2, Xcom 2 etc and that's without really digging into indies or niche genres like platformers, racing, sims, sports, RTS etc.
I do have a soft spot for Doom and Wolfenstein games, those are about as deep as I get into 3rd person shooters (except for that period in time I was addicted to Destiny.. lol).
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4417 posts
1380 upvotes
Toronto
zod wrote: I do have a soft spot for Doom and Wolfenstein games, those are about as deep as I get into 3rd person shooters (except for that period in time I was addicted to Destiny.. lol).
Definitely try Doom 2016 and Wolfenstein New Order. They're the kind of hyper action FPS games that are simple and dumb, but they know exactly what they should be and go hard on it in self-aware ways. I still remember Doom's intro sequence to this day, and it was the the most amazing way to get hyped to shotgun demons in the face.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8568 posts
2960 upvotes
I posted this in the other topic of the poster looking for "must play" exclusives or multiplatform games

ProjectPixelation wrote: Hello fellow RFDers,

A friend of mine is clearing out his consoles.
Any recommendations/suggestions "must play" exclusive titles on any of these consoles would be greatly appreciated.

For reference, I recently picked up an PS3 Slim for The Last of Us, Heavy Rain and MGS4; loving it so far.

Pixelation
zod wrote: I seem to really like 3rd person games. Medieval set RPGs (Skyrim, Dragon Age, etc..), Hack n' Slash (God of War, etc..), Action/Adventure (Uncharted, New Tomb Raider games, Last of Us),

I would say my favourite games of this gen would be:

Dragon Age Inquisition
God of War
Infamous Second Son
Ratchet and Clank
Tomb Raider (whichever ones came out this gen)
Ghosts of Tsushima
Last of Us II
Uncharted 4 and the DLC spinoff
Spider-Man
Red Dead Redemption II
Witcher 3
Horizon Zero Dawn
Darksiders III?

It seems like a lot, but this generation is what 6 years in? so that's a couple of year. Very heavy on the PS4 games. I'd have a lot less single player games I'd feel like playing if I took out the Sony Exclusives :( It also felt like a big gap between whatever came out before Last of Us II and Last of Us II. Then we got Last of Us II and Ghost of Tsushima back to back which is pretty rare.

It purely depends on your own preferences and tastes but:
I left out a lot of other exclusives on this list because I don't think they are "must play" compared to what is on the list already.

PS4 exclusives:

The Last of Us Remastered (1600p & 60 Frames per second on PS4 Pro)
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Uncharted The Nathan Drake Collection (1080p @ 60 FPS compared to the PS3 720p/30fps)
Uncharted 4
Persona 5 Royal Edition
Bloodborne
Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition (recently ported to PC on EPIC Games store on PC but it is missing some details)
God of War
The Last of Us Part II
Street Fighter V Champion Edition (also on PC)
Spider-Man
Dragon's Crown Pro
God of War III Remastered
Detroit Become Human (also on Epic Games store now - PC)
Ghost of Tsushima
Uncharted The Lost Legacy
Dreams
Shadow of the Colossus Remake
Ratchet and Clank Reboot
Until Dawn
Heavy Rain
Tales of Berseria / Tales of Vesperia

I'm assuming you are not interested in PSVR so I won't bother listing those.

Multiplatform (on a combination of PS4, XBox One, Switch and/or PC):

The Witcher 3 Definitive Edition
Dark Souls Trilogy
Resident Evil 2 Remake, Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil 1
Final Fantasy X HD Remastered, Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age
Red Dead Redemption 2
Grand Theft Auto V
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
Modern Warfare
Mortal Kombat 11
NieR Automata
Diablo III Ultimate Evil Edition
Dragon Quest XI (Switch has the Definitive Edition with orchestrated and original music, also on PS4, PC)
Tomb Raider Definitive Edition
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Skyrim Special Edition
Cuphead (XB1, Switch, PC and recently released on PS4).

Nintendo Switch exclusives:

1) Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - the most fun local or online multiplayer racing game on any platform
2) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
3) Animal Crossing New Horizons
4) Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Edition
5) Super Mario Odyssey
6) The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
7) Fire Emblem: Three Houses
8) Ring Fit Adventure
9) Bayonetta 2
10) Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition
11) Super Mario Maker 2
12) Splatoon 2
13) Luigi's Mansion 3
14) Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers
15) Pokemon Sword/Pokemon Shield
16) Mario Tennis Aces
17) Super Mario Party
18) Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
19) Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Xbox One:

Forza Motorsport 7
Ori and the Blind Forest
Ori and the Will of the Wisps

PS3:

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (MGS3, MGS2, MGS1 are all much better than MGS4).
This collection has never been released again. PS3 version comes with a digital download for Metal Gear Solid Playstation 1.

The Last of Us
Uncharted 2, Uncharted 3
Demon's Souls
God of War HD Collection
God of War III

360:
(both are not exclusives but are the better versions of the multiplatform games)
Red Dead Redemption 1
Metal Gear Solid Rising Revengeance

Edit: Updated
Sep 12, 2012
820 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto
New Batman Game. Gotham Knights

Sep 12, 2012
820 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto
Additional Info
  • Not GAAS game.
  • A brand-new open-world, third-person action RPG videogame. (Soft reboot of the Arkham series)
  • Batman is dead. It is now up to the Batman Family - Batgirl, Nightwing, Red Hood and Robin - to protect Gotham City, bring hope to its citizens.
  • You must evolve into the new Dark Knight and save Gotham from chaos.
  • WB Games confirmed Gotham Knights will feature two-player online co-op, though the Gotham Knights can also be played solo.
  • Five boroughs of Gotham City for players to explore
  • The ability to drive around via Batcycle
  • An arsenal of combat and gear that will grow as the game progresses.
  • Enemies have levels and will grow as you become more powerful.
  • 2021 on PC/PS4/PS5/Xbox One/Xbox SX
Sep 12, 2012
820 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto
Suicide Squad - Kill The Justice League

• 1 - 4 player co-op. Can play the whole game single-player with bots and switch between characters at any time.
  • Character-driven story gameplay with third-person shooter action
  • Coming to PS5, Series X and PC in 2022
Jan 22, 2017
393 posts
1299 upvotes
I'm cautiously optimistic about the Suicide Squad game and Batman Knights (and hopefully a Court of OWLS game too!)
That Crystal Dynamics Marvel Avengers game looks like an absolute trash dumpster fire though.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6463 posts
5929 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Gonna grab the collector's edition for Suicide Squad if its available. I'm a huge fan of Rocksteady's batman entries, and am sure this one's gonna be great as well
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1395 posts
450 upvotes
Finished Battletoads last night and it was really fun! Played it on normal difficulty and even that was a good challenge! I played the first level and thought that was it for me as I found the animation kind of jarring but decided to pick it up again the next day and warmed up to the animation, artstyle and humor which really clicked with me. The game gets better after the first hour or so. I really really enjoy games that incorporate multiple genres and game modes in to the gameplay. It's one of the things I loved about Nier Automata. All of the mechanics felt solid. For $20 or free with Gamepass it's really hard to find a lot of faults with this game. Not sure why a game like Cuphead with it's unique art style and insane difficulty got a lot of praise but I see a lot of reviews trashing Battletoads. Even MS didn't go to far to market this game and didn't even give it a 5 second mention that it was being released during their games reveal a few weeks back which is strange. The cut scenes felt like watching a 90s saturday morning cartoon and I think they did a great job of staying true to the Battletoads franchise overall!

Also 1000gs Creature in the Well which is leaving gamepass in one week. It's a ~5 hour completion and everyone that tried it seemed to really enjoy it. It's got some pinball mechanics and with some difficulty spikes near the end. I call it the darksouls of pinball games lol.

Bonus: If you guys thought that the original Battletoads was hard as balls as a kid then how about doing it blindfolded?
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4417 posts
1380 upvotes
Toronto
This isn't a surprise, but count on Activision to not give free upgrades for next gen consoles, and to be one of the publishers charging a higher price for next gen:

‘Cross-Gen Edition’ Of Call Of Duty: Black Ops Cold War Means No Free PS5/Series X Upgrade

A big question moving forward will be how much better the next gen version is over the current gen, especially if both consoles support backwards compatibility.
Sep 12, 2012
820 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto
Trailer for the new COD. Hopefully the multiplayer is fun this time around...

Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4417 posts
1380 upvotes
Toronto
Gunz13 wrote: Trailer for the new COD. Hopefully the multiplayer is fun this time around...

I don't know about you, but I found Modern Warfare to be the best multiplayer COD I've played in a long time... I know the pros had some issues with it, but as an average gamer I found it pretty accessible, and there weren't a lot of game-breaking perks (hello Commando or Martyrdom!).

I'm looking forward to this. It also looks like they'll be using Warzone as their BR mode, I'm guessing they'll just add a new map or something.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2007
1604 posts
454 upvotes
There is too much camping in MW. IW doesn't know how to make good maps. The only decent ones are the remasters of COD4.

Hopefully Treyarch keeps ghost like their previous where you have to move and makes some good maps. I'm sure they will bring old maps back too which I'm fine with. Hopefully mostly from BO1.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4417 posts
1380 upvotes
Toronto
inocent wrote: There is too much camping in MW. IW doesn't know how to make good maps. The only decent ones are the remasters of COD4.
Shoot the Ship playlist is live right now if you don't want to deal with campers Face With Tears Of Joy

My fave maps in COD MW are probably Crash (COD4 remake), Gunrunner and Hackney Yard, and those have some "camping-friendly" spots... but there are ways to get around too, and you could do well running-and-gunning those maps if you just avoid some of the long sightline areas. The worst maps for camping IMO are probably Euphrates Bridge and Arklov Peak...