PC & Video Games

Console Gaming General Discussion

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2020 10:27 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4406 posts
1368 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone playing Wasteland 3 yet? I fired it up on the XBox, and while it's fine on console, this is probably the first game in a while where I wish I had a PC that could run it. Controls feel kinda weird on a controller, and this type of game just reminds me so much of playing Fallout back in the day.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5380 posts
1025 upvotes
calgary
M1GOmigs wrote: Anyone playing Wasteland 3 yet? I fired it up on the XBox, and while it's fine on console, this is probably the first game in a while where I wish I had a PC that could run it. Controls feel kinda weird on a controller, and this type of game just reminds me so much of playing Fallout back in the day.
Yes, it wasn't on my radar at all but gave it a shot thanks to some pretty good reviews/gamepass.

I've only played about the first hour or so (made it to CO Springs and set out on my adventure) but I love it so far. I was not expecting an Xcom style game wrapped up in an 80 hour RPG with extremely deep RPG Mechanics but that is what this is.

No issues playing on controller, they don't do a very good job of easing you into the game (but maybe this is just because Im playing on hard). They just throw you in a fight and bombard you with on screen commands with no explanation on how to do anything. I had to spend some time cycling through each button and figuring out exactly what everything does and how everything works before I got the hang of it and once you do there is very little issues playing on controller.

But yeah it totally brings me back to the original fallout games. I love the setting/tone they are going for here and Im excited to play more. Im really hoping this is going to make its way to Xcloud at some point because I think that may be a really nice way to play it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7942 posts
4559 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote: Anyone playing Wasteland 3 yet? I fired it up on the XBox, and while it's fine on console, this is probably the first game in a while where I wish I had a PC that could run it. Controls feel kinda weird on a controller, and this type of game just reminds me so much of playing Fallout back in the day.
This genre usually isn't my cup of tea but I'm downloading it now since the reviews look pretty good. I'll probably just throw it on easy and use cheats if I struggle with the gameplay assuming the rest of the game is good and worth playing through.

Doesn't Xbox have wireless kb/m support? I thought you can just plug one in and it'll work for the main system UI and while it probably depends on the developer to include support for it in their games I'd assume this game would support it since it's already there for the PC release
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7942 posts
4559 upvotes
Toronto
I just noticed that new DONTNOD game "Tell Me Why" is also out on Game Pass and all 3 episodes release between now and Sept 10th which is nice to see compared to the usual months between releases of these episodic games. I enjoyed Life Is Strange so I'm looking forward to checking this out.
Also don't sleep on New Super Lucky's Tale. I thought that game looked like some BS when it first came out but it's a surprisingly good game with gorgeous visuals and some cool level design.

Between these two games, Wasteland 3 and Flight Sim, Game Pass is paying for itself 100x over this month.
Moderator
User avatar
Aug 20, 2009
7876 posts
2730 upvotes
Grimsby
I'm finishing up Ghost of Tsushima (my GOTY candidate) this week then I'm going to get into Wasteland 3. Good to see they took the beta feedback seriously because it was a real mess but the final game seems much more polished. I doubt it supports KB/M on Xbox, there are very few titles (less than 30) that do even with PC counterparts.

I think I'll try Tell Me Why in a few months, loved Life is Strange but the sequel was straight up bad and I'm not really in the mood for a story clicker right now. Lucky's had its shot and not my cup of tea.

Spiritfarer on Gamepass is a real sleeper IMO and a shame more people aren't talking about it.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4406 posts
1368 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote: I just noticed that new DONTNOD game "Tell Me Why" is also out on Game Pass and all 3 episodes release between now and Sept 10th which is nice to see compared to the usual months between releases of these episodic games. I enjoyed Life Is Strange so I'm looking forward to checking this out.
Also don't sleep on New Super Lucky's Tale. I thought that game looked like some BS when it first came out but it's a surprisingly good game with gorgeous visuals and some cool level design.

Between these two games, Wasteland 3 and Flight Sim, Game Pass is paying for itself 100x over this month.
I'm also hearing good things about SpiritFarer, plus I've got to go back to finish Streets of Rage 4 and Battletoads and get to Man of Medan. It's been a big month for Game Pass, and I think part of it might be them trying to counter the enormous impact that Fall Guys is having as a console exclusive for PS4.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Sr. Member
Jan 25, 2006
799 posts
192 upvotes
Nova Scotia
I just finished Bulletstorm (pretty sure I played it way back in the day) and had a ton of fun with the game mechanics and levels. Its not mind blowing but fun and I do wish they made a sequel. Lots of things happened with the studio and they eventually bought the IP back I believe so fingers crossed. It was a short game as another poster mentioned but felt good to play a game that I could pick up and play to a check point and then take a break to go back to life (chores). Funny enough it made me look up some other titles i enjoyed playing (for some reason) FEAR 3 and Singularity but they seem to not be available on the Xbox One. As much as I would like to try Wastelands 3 or some of the other game pass titles I just don't have the time or energy to sink myself into a 60 + hour game with grinding.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4406 posts
1368 upvotes
Toronto
quicksilver7 wrote: I just finished Bulletstorm (pretty sure I played it way back in the day) and had a ton of fun with the game mechanics and levels. Its not mind blowing but fun and I do wish they made a sequel. Lots of things happened with the studio and they eventually bought the IP back I believe so fingers crossed. It was a short game as another poster mentioned but felt good to play a game that I could pick up and play to a check point and then take a break to go back to life (chores). Funny enough it made me look up some other titles i enjoyed playing (for some reason) FEAR 3 and Singularity but they seem to not be available on the Xbox One.
Bulletstorm was an amazing game, with some really unique mechanics that show off how talented that People Can Fly studio is. I think the largest obstacle to a Bulletstorm sequel is just how dated those characters and dialogue are, and part of what made that single player unique was the brash, vulgar, almost Duke Nukem-like humour and dialogue, which I don't think will fly these days. Name another game that uses the word "dicktits"... The studio is also currently working on a game called Outriders that looks like a mix of Gears and Destiny, so they're probably preoccupied with making that game first. Shame really, as Epic had them do Gears of War Judgement after Bulletstorm, and their talents probably could've been served doing a Bulletstorm sequel instead.

Singularity was awesome, and I hope we see more of those type of powers-and-guns based FPS games like Bioshock, etc.
As much as I would like to try Wastelands 3 or some of the other game pass titles I just don't have the time or energy to sink myself into a 60 + hour game with grinding.
Oh trust me, I work full time, I've got two toddlers, a huge backlog and a regular Warzone squad, and only a couple hours of gaming in me if I end up sleeping at 1am... If I decide to try to play through Wasteland 3, it'll take me half a year at least, and that's not even factoring Cyberpunk coming out... First world problems though Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Moderator
User avatar
Aug 20, 2009
7876 posts
2730 upvotes
Grimsby
The whole time I played Bulletstorm I couldn't get over how much jumping is essential to FPS games and it just felt...off for some reason. Like going back to Wolfenstein or Doom after having played Quake. They're fun but its hard to go backwards. That said I thought they did a great job with the tempo and mechanics, once you got into the groove it felt really good. Almost like musical combat or something.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7942 posts
4559 upvotes
Toronto
quicksilver7 wrote: Funny enough it made me look up some other titles i enjoyed playing (for some reason) FEAR 3 and Singularity but they seem to not be available on the Xbox One.
M1GOmigs wrote: Singularity was awesome, and I hope we see more of those type of powers-and-guns based FPS games like Bioshock, etc.
If you guys enjoy games like Bulletstorm, FEAR and Singularity I'd highly recommend Timeshift if you haven't played it already. I replayed it recently and was blown away by how well it holds up. That game was truly ahead of its time for 2007. It's too bad these super power shooters aren't so popular or common anymore. The closest recent thing is Prey which is amazing but much less of a shooter than these other games mentioned
Moderator
User avatar
Aug 20, 2009
7876 posts
2730 upvotes
Grimsby
That's pretty much Control, great shooter with powers. A much more refined version of Quantum Break with a better story. I think it's probably best in subgenre for that actually and a really underrated game. Deserved to sell way better than it did.
Sr. Member
Jan 25, 2006
799 posts
192 upvotes
Nova Scotia
ReeGee wrote: If you guys enjoy games like Bulletstorm, FEAR and Singularity I'd highly recommend Timeshift if you haven't played it already. I replayed it recently and was blown away by how well it holds up. That game was truly ahead of its time for 2007. It's too bad these super power shooters aren't so popular or common anymore. The closest recent thing is Prey which is amazing but much less of a shooter than these other games mentioned
Damn just fired up teh xbox and searched for it...$29.99 hmmm I would have insta bought at $15.00 or less....but wondering if there is a cheaper place to get it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7942 posts
4559 upvotes
Toronto
quicksilver7 wrote: Damn just fired up teh xbox and searched for it...$29.99 hmmm I would have insta bought at $15.00 or less....but wondering if there is a cheaper place to get it.
Do you mean Prey or Timeshift? Prey goes on sale all the time.

With Timeshift, that's just Activision for you unfortunately. I originally played it on 360 years ago when it was new and had it on my PC wishlist for years where it was just as expensive until recently when it was included in the $1 tier of the Sierra humble bundle. If you have access to a half decent PC you can maybe find someone willing to sell or part with their humble bundle key.
Sr. Member
Jan 25, 2006
799 posts
192 upvotes
Nova Scotia
ReeGee wrote: Do you mean Prey or Timeshift? Prey goes on sale all the time.

With Timeshift, that's just Activision for you unfortunately. I originally played it on 360 years ago when it was new and had it on my PC wishlist for years where it was just as expensive until recently when it was included in the $1 tier of the Sierra humble bundle. If you have access to a half decent PC you can maybe find someone willing to sell or part with their humble bundle key.
No I meant TimShift. I have played Prey and for some reason I got stuck at a point in the game with low resources and no way to back track so I gave up on it. May have to revisit. Reading some youtube reviews leads me to believe Timshift should be about $5-$10 at most so I will hold fast and not buy it right now.

I have a new laptop coming with a better video card then my carbon so may try and grab the PC version of some of those games from steam down the road. The video card is not the greatest but better than the 620 my carbon has.

Maybe its time I buy Control for my Xbox one X and see what its all about. Looks pretty good on youtube and you guys have mentioned it a few times. I know it has hit $30-$35 in the past.

Top