• Feb 18th, 2022 11:27 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote: Phil Spencer talks about opening xbox to the possibility of streaming on Twitch and other platforms now.
Was this an issue before? There was a Twitch app on Xbox One already, but I've never actually downloaded to check to see if people could stream to it using that app. I just assumed it worked...
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11823 posts
5909 upvotes
EVO 2020's Online event is also cancelled after several professional players and one of EVO's co-founders
are accused of Sexual Misconduct. The one EVO organizer that has been accused of making inappropriate sexual advances has since been fired from EVO.

In some cases the accusers waited 5 years to call out the unwanted sexual advances or misconduct.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/smash- ... t-38771638
https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/3/21312 ... llegations

One of the most subscribed Video Game E-Celebrities, Angry Joe of Youtube, has also been accused of sexual harassment and predatory behavior:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/angry- ... ed.232600/

Maximllian Dood discusses the future of EVO and the current state of the Fighting Game Community
Last edited by XFactor11 on Jul 5th, 2020 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11823 posts
5909 upvotes
Since E3 is cancelled, Digital Foundry is doing a retrospective of Konami's infamous unintentionally hilarious E3 2010 event:

Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2310 posts
1068 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote: Sup guys it's me bringing up old games again. I finally got around to buying Hitman as these days you can buy the entire season for like $10-12 and I've read nothing but praise for this game in the past year or so with being able to play it all in the Hitman 2 engine.

I'm typically not into stealth games and it's among my least favorite genres but I decided to give this a try anyway since it's so cheap now and I saw a thread recently of tons of people including many who don't typically enjoy stealth raving about how good this game is now and they weren't lying. I've spent literally 5-6 hours just on the tutorial training maps completing all the different challenges and outcomes. I already love this game and haven't even started a real mission yet. Highly recommend to anyone who hasn't played this yet. I'll probably be picking up the Hitman 2 episodes when they get cheaper.
Hitman 1 and 2 are great games. Completed them a few months ago.

I appreciate IO interactive bring the Hitman Legacy Pack to Hitman 2. It's free if you already own Hitman 1. Apparently they are going to do the same thing with Hitman 3 (which will release Jan 2021 on current and next-gen systems).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
heywhatsmyname wrote: Hitman 1 and 2 are great games. Completed them a few months ago.

I appreciate IO interactive bring the Hitman Legacy Pack to Hitman 2. It's free if you already own Hitman 1. Apparently they are going to do the same thing with Hitman 3 (which will release Jan 2021 on current and next-gen systems).
So that's basically what I did, bought Hitman 1 GOTY on sale which unlocked the GOTY Legacy Pack "Free" in Hitman 2 which I'm playing without actually owning any of Hitman 2.

It's probably the most misrepresented poorly advertised game I've ever played in terms of what it actually is compared to how it's marketed and perceived. It's more of a 3D puzzle/point & click adventure sandbox than a stealth game. Sometimes I take it seriously and play the mission stories undetected, other times I just run around and kill people and cause chaos. I've put 30 hours into the first 3-4 maps over the past week and can't remember the last time I've played a game that much straight and not burnt out on it
Feb 7, 2018
21 posts
12 upvotes
BC
heywhatsmyname wrote: Hitman 1 and 2 are great games. Completed them a few months ago.

Hell yeah I loved replaying the first game in the engine of the second game. The backported improvements like hiding in foliage, carrying stuff in briefcases, etc made it feel like I was playing the game for the first time. Whatever improvements go into Hitman 3 will no doubt have the same effect on Hitman 2.
Mar 4, 2019
777 posts
773 upvotes
Montreal
Hello.

Are xbox controllers out of stock? I used to see them for 50 cad, now 75-85 cad.
@_pibe
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
3347 posts
2475 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bibe1547 wrote: Hello.

Are xbox controllers out of stock? I used to see them for 50 cad, now 75-85 cad.
Yeah, they seem to be low in stock at the moment, hard to find so more expensive. I usually get mine on sale at Costco for around $50, when they have them in stock.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1865 upvotes
Ajax
bibe1547 wrote: Hello.

One word, China.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
Sea of Thieves passes 15 million players since launch

I love seeing this so much.
I've been shilling this game and following it closely since it was in closed beta and well it was content light at launch the core of the game really was always really incredible and had a ton of potential.

The last few updates -specifically the introduction of emissaries- have really put it over the top.

Also it's crazy to see 1 million copies sold on steam despite it being a) Already available on gamepass/Microsoft store for several years b) Selling at full price
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4864 posts
1865 upvotes
Ajax
SpicYMchaggis wrote: Sea of Thieves passes 15 million players since launch

I love seeing this so much.
I've been shilling this game and following it closely since it was in closed beta and well it was content light at launch the core of the game really was always really incredible and had a ton of potential.

The last few updates -specifically the introduction of emissaries- have really put it over the top.

Also it's crazy to see 1 million copies sold on steam despite it being a) Already available on gamepass/Microsoft store for several years b) Selling at full price
Weird as my son and are were excited for this game, fired it up at launch and were like WTH is this? Sold it the next day and never looked back.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
mrtvgame wrote: Weird as my son and are were excited for this game, fired it up at launch and were like WTH is this? Sold it the next day and never looked back.
The core loop hasn't really changed all that much, you still get missions, solve puzzles, sail to islands etc... they've just done a number of things to improve, expand and make that basic formula far more exciting.
They've added a ton of in-game activities to do besides that including a number of really fun "story" missions and various kinds of Raids flashing at you in the sky.

Depending on how far in you got it may warrant a second look...
I know some people were immediately turned off because they just dropped you in the world with little to no tutorial (which they've also added a fun introduction mission in the form of the "Maiden Voyage"), I think if this was you it may warrant a second look.

If you did a number of missions and it didn't enjoy it at all, then I don't think any of the new content is going to change your mind.
The story missions really expand on that basic formula giving you a number of unique riddles to solve and guiding you to some of the more interesting, hidden areas of the world.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
mrtvgame wrote: Weird as my son and are were excited for this game, fired it up at launch and were like WTH is this? Sold it the next day and never looked back.
I was also super excited during the beta period, and had some fun games with absolute randos. But once it came out and none of my friends got into it, I lost all interest. You really need to have a regular group of friends to play this with. Alas, all my friends are really into Battle Royale games...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote: Also it's crazy to see 1 million copies sold on steam despite it being a) Already available on gamepass/Microsoft store for several years b) Selling at full price
This and MCC has really put into perspective how adamant many people are with owning things on Steam. MCC was also peaking recently around 50-60K players on Steam alone despite being dirt cheap to play on Game Pass. I'd love to know the Game Pass numbers but I don't believe MS shares them. I just play wherever is cheapest which is Game Pass but seems there are still a lot of people are against the idea of "renting" games or even getting them free on other platforms and prefer to buy games on Steam.
M1GOmigs wrote: I was also super excited during the beta period, and had some fun games with absolute randos. But once it came out and none of my friends got into it, I lost all interest. You really need to have a regular group of friends to play this with. Alas, all my friends are really into Battle Royale games...
This is the main reason I never tried this game, heard it sucks with randoms and none of my friends play this game
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote: This is the main reason I never tried this game, heard it sucks with randoms and none of my friends play this game
LOL we're at an age in our lives where I don't really care to make new friends with random XBox Live peeps... I tried doing it solo (they've got smaller schooners you can use if you want to do it by yourself or with 2 people) but it's just not the same.

It's a shame too because I think Rare did a really good job at making a core thing that's interesting. Ship management (manning sails, anchor, wheel, and plotting course) is all cool, but from the early game I played, once you've found treasure and brought it back, or gone through a few ship-to-ship battles, that's kind of it... I know they've added content since, but I'm just not willing to go through it with people I don't really know well.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
M1GOmigs wrote: LOL we're at an age in our lives where I don't really care to make new friends with random XBox Live peeps... I tried doing it solo (they've got smaller schooners you can use if you want to do it by yourself or with 2 people) but it's just not the same.

It's a shame too because I think Rare did a really good job at making a core thing that's interesting. Ship management (manning sails, anchor, wheel, and plotting course) is all cool, but from the early game I played, once you've found treasure and brought it back, or gone through a few ship-to-ship battles, that's kind of it... I know they've added content since, but I'm just not willing to go through it with people I don't really know well.
Yeah its really not great on a one man sloop.
The actual running of the treasure is kind of an awful chore as a single person and you are a much easier target in a sloop for both PvP & PvE.

I have a few friends that I play with fairly consistently and we are usually able to fill a galleon so my experience is probably ideal. Honestly one of the smartest things Rare did was with the horizontal progression, I can jump in any time with anyone and be on even footing with them, but you know the guys on the Sea that have played a lot and would wreck you in a PvP battle because they have all the crazy sail sets.

Having said that I've been enjoying the game so much recently that I've just started dropping in with Randoms when we can't get everyone together, I had a couple really good experiences just with the in-game matchmaking but getting a "random" group beforehand together with discord/LFG is the way to go because ideally everyone would have a microphone
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
This and MCC has really put into perspective how adamant many people are with owning things on Steam. MCC was also peaking recently around 50-60K players on Steam alone despite being dirt cheap to play on Game Pass. I'd love to know the Game Pass numbers but I don't believe MS shares them. I just play wherever is cheapest which is Game Pass but seems there are still a lot of people are against the idea of "renting" games or even getting them free on other platforms and prefer to buy games on Steam.
Steam is a huge deal on the PC, if you are a PC gamer you have it installed no matter what. Microsoft's gaming cred on the PC isn't exactly good and awareness of their offerings is in a similar boat (pun intended). The discoverability Steam offers cannot be understated. But more to your point, I know personally if I really like something I want to own it particularly if it has replay value. If you've ever been in the middle of watching a favorite TV series that gets yanked from Netflix you will understand. I regularly revisit old games, especially in this age of DLC and post launch patching. You can often have a totally different experience later on. And many people are maxing out on subscription services, I know in our household we've made a conscious effort to reduce them because it seems like every company has a membership or subscription fee these days. Some people view all entertainment as inherently disposable/replaceable and others view it more as an ownership model. Neither approach is wrong, people should do whatever is right for them. There are definitely some games I want to own and others I don't care as much so I look at stuff like Gamepass more as a "try it out" type thing. I remember Phil saying in an interview that they were surprised as how many people "convert" from trying a game on Gamepass into buying it on the store.

Anyways I didn't care for Sea of Thieves, I found it shallow and grindy and I think people lean on the "oh its fun with friends!" thing too much, pretty much any game is fun with friends in my experience. That being said there are many popular games I don't care for and I'm happy that others are finding enjoyment in it. I also think its great for Microsoft to take chances with new IP and stuff like this will encourage more of it. I don't care for "X players since launch" stats because its meaningless but selling a million on the PC is no small feat so kudos to the SoT team.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)