• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2020 5:27 pm
22 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8568 posts
2959 upvotes
It has been posted before but here is the accurate size comparison:

Windows Central has a 3D comparison of the console sizes which you can move around with your mouse here:

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-ser ... comparison

It is a bit bigger than the Launch model PS3 or original XBox One.

I think it would be more on an issue for the Japanese (the twitter user that posted those mockup images) because they tend to live
in cramped apartment spaces, and smaller house sizes due to small land mass and overpopulation in Japan.

Who actually puts their consoles vertically?

I use TV stands with open space all around and lay the consoles down flat horizontally like a normal electronic device instead of a desktop tower.
For my active secondary consoles I have them next to my desktop pc on a large PC desk.
Even with the stands to hold the consoles vertically, I would be warry of knocking them over so I've never stood them up vertically.

It seems both Xbox Series X and PS5 vent out the air to the right side when laying down flat horizontally
So maybe I would have to put them on separate shelves depending on the intensity of the air outflow.

Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34243 posts
3929 upvotes
Winnipeg
XFactor11 wrote: I think it would be more on an issue for the Japanese (the twitter user that posted those mockup images) because they tend to live
in cramped apartment spaces, and smaller house sizes due to small land mass and overpopulation in Japan.
So the solution is to find a way to reduce population in Japan. Got any ideas?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
1764 posts
2616 upvotes
Yeah I saw those comparisons. But it's nice to see them in reference to a TV as well. Once I got over the cool factor of vertical consoles years ago, I always keep them horizontal.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1897 posts
574 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote:
I think it would be more on an issue for the Japanese (the twitter user that posted those mockup images) because they tend to live
It's not overpopulation, just high population density. Very common across Europe and Asia.

People in Australia, the US and Canada live in the largest homes in the world.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3060 posts
719 upvotes
Vaughan
XFactor11 wrote: Who actually puts their consoles vertically?
First off thanks for the comparison. Didn't realize how big the ps5 is compared to the ps4. Even the XSX is huge.

I have my ps4 in a vertical position. Tbh the only reason I have it vertically is show off my Darth Vader decal that's on it. I have the starwars battlefront edition ps4. Otherwise I'd probably put it horizontal. With the size of the ps5 though, I may continue to put it vertically though.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
1764 posts
2616 upvotes
Vertical may be the only feasible option for the PS5 for a lot of people. It's just massive. It might just have to be put to the side of the TV, or on the floor next to a media centre.

This is the top down view. PS5 also has a lot of depth.
top down.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5386 posts
1029 upvotes
calgary
The PS5 is massive, it even dwarfs the original XB1 which was massive.

I think people are going to be legitimately surprised by how big this thing is when they bring it in their home. Thanks to its size and its unique design It's going to stick out like a sore thumb if you can't hide it in an A/V rack.
Aug 20, 2009
7893 posts
2742 upvotes
Grimsby
Err it's 15", people are acting like its 3 feet tall. If people could fit a PS3 or an Xbox One original then they will fit this. If you could only use vertical orientation then maybe it would matter.

Frankly I would rather they went bigger for better heat dissipation. Large, cool, quiet > small, hot, noisy

The Series X is pretty chunky itself, almost the size of my A/V receiver but again I would rather they went that way.

These things have basically become gaming PCs for the living room, it's going to get increasingly difficult to deliver the sort of power they promised in a box the size of the X1X.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11913 posts
2112 upvotes
Mississauga
SpicYMchaggis wrote: The PS5 is massive, it even dwarfs the original XB1 which was massive.

I think people are going to be legitimately surprised by how big this thing is when they bring it in their home. Thanks to its size and its unique design It's going to stick out like a sore thumb if you can't hide it in an A/V rack.
It's big for a console, but let's not get melodramatic here. It's still smaller than any A/V receiver, and those fit easily in any standard entertainment stand.
Feb 24, 2018
333 posts
154 upvotes
Let's be honest, they're gonna release a slim at some point and they need to give people a reason to buy it beyond just expanded storage space because it already comes with almost 1 TB. I doubt they go for the mess that is a PS4 vs PS4 Pro again so one of the biggest incentives they can give people is size. This is why I think they made the current one so big. Even look at those white things on the top/bottom, they seem like they add unnecessary size/length to the console compared to the black portion. I don't even think this thing would fit on my sizable desk shelves without a chunk of it sticking out.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5386 posts
1029 upvotes
calgary
Talamasca wrote: It's big for a console, but let's not get melodramatic here. It's still smaller than any A/V receiver, and those fit easily in any standard entertainment stand.
Once you fit it in your a/v stand you'll forget about it and it won't really matter. But I do think if you have this open under your TV it will really stand out like a sore thumb. Its huge, not really very nice looking but also unique enough that it'll attract a lot of attention.

I just don't think people will realize how truly big this is until they get it into their house and compare it with their other consoles.
I still have an OG Xbox One that I move between rooms occasionally and its absolute unit compared to the Xbox One X/S and the PS4 and this is bigger than that (however that also had a massive powerbrick to deal with)

I think the Series X has a similar problem as its very wide and looks sort of funny on its side because it doesn't have much depth and personally I just don't stand my console up because again it sort of draws some unwanted attention to it.

Anyways none of this stuff really matters all that much to me, its a gaming device first and foremost not a living room decoration but just fun to discuss.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4612 posts
1703 upvotes
Ajax
SpicYMchaggis wrote: Once you fit it in your a/v stand you'll forget about it and it won't really matter. But I do think if you have this open under your TV it will really stand out like a sore thumb. Its huge, not really very nice looking but also unique enough that it'll attract a lot of attention.

I just don't think people will realize how truly big this is until they get it into their house and compare it with their other consoles.
I still have an OG Xbox One that I move between rooms occasionally and its absolute unit compared to the Xbox One X/S and the PS4 and this is bigger than that (however that also had a massive powerbrick to deal with)

I think the Series X has a similar problem as its very wide and looks sort of funny on its side because it doesn't have much depth and personally I just don't stand my console up because again it sort of draws some unwanted attention to it.

Anyways none of this stuff really matters all that much to me, its a gaming device first and foremost not a living room decoration but just fun to discuss.
Also consider Canada Post is going to have a tough time getting these out to everyone on launch. Most posties will likely tag it at the depot and not even attempt delivery due to size and weight. Angry Face
Dec 2, 2004
938 posts
769 upvotes
PHuth2 wrote: Let's be honest, they're gonna release a slim at some point and they need to give people a reason to buy it beyond just expanded storage space because it already comes with almost 1 TB. I doubt they go for the mess that is a PS4 vs PS4 Pro again so one of the biggest incentives they can give people is size. This is why I think they made the current one so big. Even look at those white things on the top/bottom, they seem like they add unnecessary size/length to the console compared to the black portion. I don't even think this thing would fit on my sizable desk shelves without a chunk of it sticking out.
I highly doubt this will come any time soon ... it is built on 7nm chip die and this has just been release this year with AMD Ryzen. They'll have to use IPC to get the transistor numbers down. Still possible with Zen3 and Big Navi ... but with the RTX3000 series shortages, BIG NAVI will probably have to fill some of the PC Video Cards ... supposedly AMD 6000 XT. Maybe this will be the last console before everyone uses the online gaming like Stadia, Geforce Now, PS Now, etc ...