• Jun 17th, 2016 11:28 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 6, 2016
5 posts
1 upvote

Consoles price drop June 2016

So I was about to buy a Xbox One on Thursday (June 9th). I received some flyers today. 50$ drop on PS4 at Walmart on the 9th (380$). And the Xbox at 350$ at Pharmaprix on 11th.
My question is, any news on an all-around orice drop, or do I have to wait till Saturday to buy my Xbox at a pharmacy?
83 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20780 posts
4896 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Wait until E³. Rumors of new PS4 and Xbox One versions maybe revealed.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
7959 posts
1417 upvotes
$350 at Walmart for Xbox One is not a big deal. That's how much I paid last summer for a FIFA bundle with other games and EA access included.
At this point, I would just wait till after E3
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
[OP]
Jun 6, 2016
5 posts
1 upvote
I don't want to wait for the best deal, I just don't want to pay 400 today for something that will be 350 in two days. The sad thing is I was really in the mood to get it today.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
277 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
Price drops in anticipation of the new console announcements.

Not happy about any of this at all. I'm basically going to have inferior PS4 performance while PS4 Neo will be the main system developers optimise for - they will just "port" it down to the base PS4 by cutting resolution and framerate for compatibility. Like how we saw lazy Xbox1 ports from PS4 versions, where all they do is cut resolution rather than try to optimize, same thing gonna happen with the "base" PS4. NO developer will spend time optimizing for the weaker machine, they will optimize for the more powerful one, and simply do a lazy downgrade for the weaker one, as we say with X1.

This is annoying enough that I've actually been having impure thoughts lately about maybe moving to PC gaming instead... :o
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
991 upvotes
Vaughan
SuperDuperFox wrote: Price drops in anticipation of the new console announcements.

Not happy about any of this at all. I'm basically going to have inferior PS4 performance while PS4 Neo will be the main system developers optimise for - they will just "port" it down to the base PS4 by cutting resolution and framerate for compatibility. Like how we saw lazy Xbox1 ports from PS4 versions, where all they do is cut resolution rather than try to optimize, same thing gonna happen with the "base" PS4. NO developer will spend time optimizing for the weaker machine, they will optimize for the more powerful one, and simply do a lazy downgrade for the weaker one, as we say with X1.

This is annoying enough that I've actually been having impure thoughts lately about maybe moving to PC gaming instead... :o
God forbid you actually come to the side that actually has games at their best states :)
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
277 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
squadz wrote: God forbid you actually come to the side that actually has games at their best states :)
I feel so dirty... :lol:
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
8679 posts
1867 upvotes
sandikosh wrote: Wait until E³. Rumors of new PS4 and Xbox One versions maybe revealed.
PS4 Neo basically confirmed including its specs.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2017 posts
663 upvotes
Toronto
The PS4 and Xbox One have been at $380 and $350 before. So this could be just a routine sale.

You'd have to wait one more week to see if there are any permanent price drops or whether the rumoured slim Xbox One is true.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
277 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
Ugh....I should probably sell my PS4 ASAP before the announcement :eek:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6631 posts
2740 upvotes
Canada
SuperDuperFox wrote: Price drops in anticipation of the new console announcements.

That's a pretty big assumption. The New 3DS XL has proven to be the exact opposite. Almost no game is taking advantage of the extra HP and is still being developed/made to the lowest common denominator.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10083 posts
2033 upvotes
Victoria

It agitates me too. Unlike PC's you can't upgrade the ps4 to the ps4 neo, so you have to rebuy the whole thing to keep pace. It'll bug me to play the weaker version too, so I'll naturally want the new console.

I really wish they did a completely new generation rather than a half step. It will be interesting to see which console ends up more powerful. If the new Xbox ends up being more powerful, I wonder if that would draw people to it. Given a sort of new generation of consoles and given that I already have a ps4. Sony has some really good exclusives but most games aren't console specific anymore. So I could buy the new XB1 and demote my ps4 to exclusives only. Then again I'm running with a PC/PS4 combo, and between the two I don't feel like I missed out on any games I wanted to play that were xb1 only. Maybe I'll keep that running.

At least I can't think of any new games until GoW 4 come out that would require the new console. Gives me time to read reviews and what not.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8459 posts
5301 upvotes
Toronto
I suppose I'm not the target audience for these consoles any longer but to me that's still laughably expensive for lackluster performing hardware that's going to become obsolete over the next few months. Wouldn't pay more than $200 all in at this point but I'm sure there are lots of kids and parents who think $350-400 for an outdated game console is a good deal
Aug 20, 2009
8298 posts
3251 upvotes
Kids and parents don't really understand or care about such things. They buy based on marketing and that's pretty much always been the case. Consoles and PCs are largely different target markets IMO.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10083 posts
2033 upvotes
Victoria
I do think consoles have evolved beyond kids and parents though. I'm not exactly young but it seems many people that grew up with video games still play video games, so the age demographics for gaming seem to be getting older as the first video game playing generations also getting older. So they're selling to adults and kids now (hence the plethora of more adult themed games).

I guess PC's and Consoles are different markets. I always tend to have both. There's always console exclusives not available on the PC (especially Sony games) so I tend to keep a console around for those.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2012
2725 posts
626 upvotes
Scarborough
Redmask wrote: Kids and parents don't really understand or care about such things. They buy based on marketing and that's pretty much always been the case. Consoles and PCs are largely different target markets IMO.
Which is why it becomes redundant when people try to compare the 2
Aug 20, 2009
8298 posts
3251 upvotes
Agreed.

Anyways I'm pretty happy with my platforms at the moment, not sure I will upgrade but it depends on the price and what differentiation I see between them. The Xbox I am much iffier on due to their increased integration on the PC side of things which makes owning it much less necessary. The PS4 at least gets me a ton of Japanese games I like.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8459 posts
5301 upvotes
Toronto
zod wrote: I do think consoles have evolved beyond kids and parents though. I'm not exactly young but it seems many people that grew up with video games still play video games, so the age demographics for gaming seem to be getting older as the first video game playing generations also getting older. So they're selling to adults and kids now (hence the plethora of more adult themed games).

I guess PC's and Consoles are different markets. I always tend to have both. There's always console exclusives not available on the PC (especially Sony games) so I tend to keep a console around for those.
I tend to have both too, which is why I have a WiiU, but that cost me less than $250 early in it's lifespan, not $350-400 at the end of it. Even with this price drop this is still a very steep pricing for 3 year old notoriously under performing hardware that's rumored to have a replacement launching this year. That said I do understand this is targeted at a less than technically savvy impulse buy audience that isn't aware of any of that.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2013
2522 posts
4255 upvotes
Toronto
Will still get a PS4 even with a Neo...as long as there is no NEO exclusive games. Looking forward to a pride drop....hoping Shoppers Drug Mart changes the price too.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
277 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
raspeed wrote: That's a pretty big assumption. The New 3DS XL has proven to be the exact opposite. Almost no game is taking advantage of the extra HP and is still being developed/made to the lowest common denominator.
Thats true I guess, but I feel like a handheld Nintendo console is somehow different from a powerful Sony home console. I think devs will use the extra power. THey are already pushing the limits of PS4.

Kishnabe wrote: Will still get a PS4 even with a Neo...as long as there is no NEO exclusive games. Looking forward to a pride drop....hoping Shoppers Drug Mart changes the price too.
Well, rumour is Sony will not allow any games to be Neo exclusive. BUT, with the extra power, I feel like devs will optimize for that, and we will get the short-end of the stick ("oh you know what, we spent time and money to optimize for New, for base model lets just drop the resolution to 900p and call it a day" etc. Kind of like what they do with X1. They don't spent too much time and money optimizing , they just to a "lazy" port by just dropping resolution or something.... :confused: