• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2020 9:12 am
[OP]
Sep 26, 2016
120 posts
103 upvotes
Longueuil, QC

Constaint sound from bathtub drain

Today, I noticed that there is a constant sound from my bathtube drain pipe, it sounds like there is wind going in the pipe. I include the youtube link of the recording. My phone could not capture the sound clearer, please turn up your volume a bit to hear it

Iam worry that this is a symptom of bigger issue
Thanks in advance for all the helps
17 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2004
1100 posts
131 upvotes
Mississauga
Test after water
CoNtRaCtOr
[OP]
Sep 26, 2016
120 posts
103 upvotes
Longueuil, QC
TTony wrote: Test after water
Thanks, I just water it, the sound is gone now, not sure if it would come back. I do not use this bathtub beside once a week for house cleaning purpose. Do you have a clue what is causing it?
[OP]
Sep 26, 2016
120 posts
103 upvotes
Longueuil, QC
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: If the trap goes dry you'll hear a lot of things....and possibly smell others...
Thanks man, so I guess there is no real issue here, but I wonder what is the physic behind this, I can understand the smell part if the pipe is dry, but not the sound part though.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2004
1100 posts
131 upvotes
Mississauga
sunmagic wrote: Thanks man, so I guess there is no real issue here, but I wonder what is the physic behind this, I can understand the smell part if the pipe is dry, but not the sound part though.
Search how trap works
CoNtRaCtOr
Dec 26, 2012
283 posts
238 upvotes
TORONTO
if you only use it once a week, it's possible the trap is drying out. a week doesn't seem like a long time though, hopefully you have a trap under it. My old townhouse didn't have a trap in the powder room sink. I guess someone did a DIY vanity install, we noticed it the second we opened the cabinet and saw a straight pipe down. it was one of the first things we fixed.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3985 posts
1939 upvotes
sunmagic wrote: Thanks man, so I guess there is no real issue here, but I wonder what is the physic behind this, I can understand the smell part if the pipe is dry, but not the sound part though.
If your trap is dry you should be able to hear things going on outside from the vent on your roof as well as water running into the main municipal sewer as all the pipes should have no water in them.
Jun 28, 2015
249 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Too many logical people here.

I say ghosts and burn down the house ;)
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1178 posts
285 upvotes
Vaughan
All pipes are vented outside most likely through the roof. I didn't learn this until a couple of years ago but If it's a closed system, water wouldn't drain because of the pressure. It make sense when you think of it logically. Like others have mentioned, you're likely just hearing noise from outside resulting from a dried out trap.
Feb 26, 2020
1 posts
Did you try running the faucet and seeing if that helped the trap?
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4300 posts
3727 upvotes
Toronto
In addition to traps drying out if not used frequently, an improperly designed drain system could actually cause traps to be siphoned out.

Any plumbing or renovations done by non-tradespeople (ie. not knowledgeable about plumbing codes)?
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1610 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
If your trap is drying out in a week that seems like a problem.

I'm assuming that sound is air being pulled down through the tub drain pipe, which tells me you have vent problems in your system somewhere, because that should absolutely not be happening. Logical place to check would be your main stack and see if you have any blockages there.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5660 posts
3991 upvotes
It is a trap issue, obviously. What I don't get is how the trap dries out within a week.... We have a subi that we barely use, less than once a month ans it never dried out. A leak in the trap may cause this issue
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3235 posts
2198 upvotes
Toronto
DoorCrasher wrote: It is a trap issue, obviously. What I don't get is how the trap dries out within a week.... We have a subi that we barely use, less than once a month ans it never dried out. A leak in the trap may cause this issue
It gets siphoned out because of an improperly vented drain. Someone did some DIY plumbing. If it can be found, an AAV on the fixture in question might solve the problem.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6576 posts
2948 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Did you recently add a washer to your house or other plumbing change?
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
[OP]
Sep 26, 2016
120 posts
103 upvotes
Longueuil, QC
georvu wrote: Did you recently add a washer to your house or other plumbing change?
No, I did not have any plumbing change. However, after turn the water on a few minutes, the sound is gone, everything seems fine now
Also, Thanks for everyone's advices, if this happen again, I will check them over
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5660 posts
3991 upvotes
sunmagic wrote: No, I did not have any plumbing change. However, after turn the water on a few minutes, the sound is gone, everything seems fine now
Also, Thanks for everyone's advices, if this happen again, I will check them over
the sound is gone because you filled the trap with water. Issue will come back once trap is siphoned and empty