• Mar 18th, 2014 8:05 pm
[OP]
Feb 2, 2012
3 posts
ETOBICOKE

Consultant rate for java developer?

Hi

planning to change from perm job to java consultancy
Having 8 yrs of java exp. what rate/hour should i get?
7 replies
Jul 5, 2006
811 posts
65 upvotes
http://www.vworker.com/

Check out the bids there ;)

I think it will really depend on where you are able to land contracts, your willingness to travel, etc
[OP]
Feb 2, 2012
3 posts
ETOBICOKE
Thanks, but I looking for similar like H1B in US. normally they get 60-80 or may be more depending on layers in between.
But how about Canada, what Accenture, RBC, deloitte etc are paying?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2004
1594 posts
717 upvotes
i read somewhere that the general rule of thumb is to charge approximately 3x your salary since you'll probably incur expenses and you won't be getting the benefits you get while working for companies.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
3615 posts
51 upvotes
Clueless Fox wrote: i read somewhere that the general rule of thumb is to charge approximately 3x your salary
The rule of thumb used to be "your yearly salary in thousands should match your contract hourly rate in dollars" (i.e. if you made 60K/year permanent you could expect to get $60/hour), but not anymore. I'd say rates for senior developers max out around $70/hour, unless you have some very specific in-demand skill (for example, Cognos). I'm talking GTA rates, you can get a bit more in States if you are lucky.
[OP]
Feb 2, 2012
3 posts
ETOBICOKE
Thanks, but if my annual salary is 85k+6k pension + 6k medical and all insurance its still around 100k. but if I get 70/hr rate wouldn't my annual take home will be higher at least 15-20k ?
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2009
2307 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto
Clueless Fox wrote: i read somewhere that the general rule of thumb is to charge approximately 3x your salary since you'll probably incur expenses and you won't be getting the benefits you get while working for companies.

Do you think if your current employer value you at around $50,000 per year that you can move to a consultant position (having the same experience, knowledge, etc where you at now) that you can earn $150k?
I would jump at that opportunity if that's for real.

Last time I heard it's usually your annual salary + 3 months and divide that to annual hourly rate. Add a little bit for some benefits that you are missing.
The reason for 3 months is it's the expected period of being unemployed while moving between contracts. The reason you end up better is because in actuality, more often than not they keep extending your contract.
Jun 20, 2009
16 posts
2 upvotes
NorthYorker wrote: I'd say rates for senior developers max out around $70/hour, unless you have some very specific in-demand skill (for example, Cognos). I'm talking GTA rates.
This is so true in Toronto after talking to so many middlemen (recruiters)...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)